Man vs. Earth

mdvaden

Thanks for that post!
I just watched a program on the caldera of Yellowstone national park.. program on Smithssonian..really amazing place .They were saying when that one blows ,it could ,with focus on the word could , create a cloud that blocks the sun for years possibly and what I took away from that was basically game over man , maybe a few could survive .. I'm not sure how without the sun for five years..??
Had forgot that one while writing my last post. But I've seen the same episode you referred too.

Also, related to this subject, there's other angles that some folks don't fully explore. For example, a lot of trees are growing more wood now than they have in the past few centuries.

There is a claim that there are 46% less trees now during man's involvement. And a recent study indicates there are over 3 Trillion trees on Earth, more than 6 times previously estimated. Personally, I think the 3.04 trillion estimate is probably low and there's even more than imagined.

But I'm curious how much wood, canopy and root exists now compared to past millenniums ... ?????

If a lot of trees are putting on growth and new wood at increased rates, is is possible that 3 trillion trees can do the job of 6 trillion trees?

Redtree

Ya that 3 trillion, 6 trillion trees thing is one hell of an estimate. I'd hate to be the guy with the clicker in my hand while fending off monkeys.
But estimate aside, just load up a satellite map of North America and judge for yourself. It's a sea of brown, yellow, and green rectangles. There's no getting out of it. It's significant deforestation.
We have been suppressing the regeneration that the earth has had to deal with from previous natural devastation. Largely for annual crops. Largely to feed cows to feed us. I do love beef, just been eating less of it lately.
There is a plan to remove a 500 year old forest for a four day Olympic event. This is also regeneration suppression, and at its worst. Look it up at 'Avazz' and sign the protest.
Like MikePowers321 said, 'art...increased awareness. I would say Neil young certainly has had some small indirect carbon negative affect by making people change their beliefs, then their actions. For example, if I told you not to drink Starbucks because it is a GMO Monsanto product, you'd likely drink it anyway. But if it came from Neil young you might not drink it, or you may drink it less. Not that the big rock concerts and everyone driving to get to them was environmentally friendly.
'Less' is a big part of the solution. Change as well. But we need to eat. So when you go out maybe do the world a microscopic favour and order the 8 ounce steak. (Amazing to think that that is the small serving). Funny enough this would do you the bigger favour. Boycott the huge meals. Prevent heart attack. Prevent a double up of waste.
Like throwing food away because we planned poorly. Another double waste.
Art, overall has a negative footprint on the footprint. Also, overall it has a positive role in the general well being of people.
I think there is something to be said about art waste. But you can't have good art without bad art. Meanwhile I would suspect we increase our support of bad art and entertainment, over all. Maybe that's part of why our population of paranoid, anxious, and alienated people seems to be increasing. I'd guess that this world is more likely to drive you nuts than it was twenty years ago. Or maybe even 10? Maybe I have a reason to be crazy? I haven't gone mad. Maybe I just am mad?
The lack and decrease of art in schools says a lot about where we are headed. Not to be too literal but are we creating some kind of brave new world? A world of production instead of one of enjoyment. We are so consumed with what we are doing, instead of how we are feeling. The sad part is that it is the art that helps students understand the meaning and the connection of all the other subjects.
I think we need sports. And we definitely need art, maybe more than ever. And we could certainly improve the environmental efficiency of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treetopflyer

For example, a lot of trees are growing more wood now than they have in the past few centuries.
There's something behind that. Drives my curiosity through the roof .. Your not the first or even second person I've herd say that ..
If a lot of trees are putting on growth and new wood at increased rates, is is possible that 3 trillion trees can do the job of 6 trillion trees?
In relation to the first statement. I believe nature is trying to keep up with maybe excessive carbon dioxide Its making trees grow faster , with less on earth trying harder to reproduce as well . Very interesting to me.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Fukushima nuclear disaster ,anyone? Could be why Atlantic tuna so pricey?
I love how out of all the views I just noticed this thread received and not one person cares to touch these questions.. Little help here ..nobody..
Can you tell that CLEAN WATER is the most limited natural resource on the planet? Just in your day to day life ? Anybody?

DSMc

Are you familiar with, Liebig's law of the minimum?
It states that growth is limited not by the total amount of resources available, but by whatever one is not. Such a simple concept and yet one that seems outside the understanding of the people that could make a difference.

Of what use is the unlimited potential of nuclear power, if in the process it is capable of destroying even one, essential element.

BRT

I love how out of all the views I just noticed this thread received and not one person cares to touch these questions.. Little help here ..nobody..
No idea--my budget usually doesn't allow ground beef. I never find my self searching the shelves for tuna--Atlantic or otherwise.

Down size, down size, down size
'Less' is a big part of the solution. Change as well. But we need to eat. So when you go out maybe do the world a microscopic favour and order the 8 ounce steak. (Amazing to think that that is the small serving). Funny enough this would do you the bigger favour. Boycott the huge meals. Prevent heart attack. Prevent a double up of waste.
Like throwing food away because we planned poorly. Another double waste.

A world of production instead of one of enjoyment. We are so consumed with what we are doing, instead of how we are feeling. The sad part is that it is the art that helps students understand the meaning and the connection of all the other subjects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think down sizing is a huge part of the solution, both personally and globally. I live on a 33 foot sailboat, I used to live on a 28 foot sailboat. My quality of life was better, and my impact on the planet was smaller on the 28 footer, I think my next boat will be smaller. Theres an elegance and containment that the simplicity brings.
I'm about to sell my gas powered personal transportation, (leaving only the work truck and chipper to suck up fossil fuel, and I keep thinking there must be a way around that). While there are so many people lamenting the the need to consume less and tread more gently on this planet, the excuse always seems to be it's too much work. It's not. It's a heck of a lot more work to prop up the dysfunctional system we've created than it is to make good long term choices that consume less (less of our planets resources, and fewer of our days on this planet). It's possible possible to live simply and to spend less time filling the gas tank and more time living in a way that's meaningful. And while I'm sure I'll get some flack from someone for saying so, learn to meditate if you don't already. The ability to be present with exactly what is taking place has been critical to living in alignment with what's really important to me, rather than following this crazy out of control system.

If you're ever in the PNW, come hit me up for some sailing and big tree climbing.

Levi.CO

I can really agree with the above post. Taking only what is necessary (or close to that) is rewarding in many ways. It is a cleaning of the soul.

The system of consumption that we live in can really make you sick and dirty in many ways.

Perhaps if people cannot even look after their own well being and health then there is little hope that they will look after the Earth. Or maybe we are so un-healthy because we have no connection with nature:(

DSMc

The sad thing is people complain about how bad everything is handled and throw up their hands thinking that there is nothing that can be done. Well just look at how fast something that doesn't sell stays on the market. It doesn't.

The power of the wealthy is in the will of the masses.

surveyor

Was watching another video than this one about how the portion of the island that has the line of recent vents, has a history of slipping towards the underwater cliff face on the southern corner of the island. Anyway it is hard to fathom the forces involved to create this much sustained lava flow.