Makita xcu06 top handle 18V

Redtree

i did a demo of this saw at the internationals in Columbus Ohio. was skeptic then tried it. beautiful saw. very light, compact, and has the arborist ring on the butt end. only problem was demo log was too small and soft to get an accurate idea of capability. it was 279$ American with a battery or 2 and charger. I was very close but I've decided to wait for the stihl MSA 161 T, which is shown on the stihl canada website but interstingly not on the stihl usa site. On the canada site it is the only battery saw listed in the arborist division. currently i can't get one yet but for the last 5 years I've been using the MSA 200, 36 volt saw. haven't used my 200 T since then. I use the 461 when I need to. The new 161 is top handle lighter and stihl has come up with a battery that is 1/3 the weight and 1/3 the run time (same size). depending on the job you load the appropriate battery. I use the 36 V pole hedge trimmers. 5 foot and extendable 6-10 foot. also use the battery pole saw 8-14 foot. awesome too.
If you want pro I'd wait for the stihl. if yiur tired of waiting and are ok with semi pro I'd suggest that saw. might or might not buck up the wood that the stihl does (6-10" easy) but definitely efficient up to 6 inch wood. plus way better price point. stihl is 474 Canadian for unit plus 200 a battery plus 100 a charger. remember you can utilise more tools of the trade with stihl though. $474 must be roughly $350 USD so for me only a little more for what is likely a better saw.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RopeShield

Makita is world leader in battery and electric motor.
1st in everything. Quality control, performance etc.
I would bet worldwide makita will sell 12 to one Stihl.
I have lil Makita 4" light AF and torque AF. Just love it on a prune. And just over 4lbs. My groundie loves the 2x18v top handle. This new Makita is on the top of my list when one of my 201 dies.

Redtree

Anyone try the new tophandle stihl 36v yet? I've got it ordered but ropesheild is making me rethink a makita, where in Ontario can I see a collection of Makitas. I saw the double battery makita you talk about and I'd love to know how it compares to my 36v stihl.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RopeShield

I went this route because Makita for the drill, ratchet, etc. One battery and charger for all my tools. My dad raised a family of seven kids with Makita tools as construction super . I trust them! Every tool they made can be rebuilt, We have cordless drills mb pushn 30yrs that work.

treebing

Can you put the little Pico chain on the makita? That's what makes the stink small saws sweet. I normally see the husky with a fat chain.

ATH

Hmmmm....I've been watching Husqvarna's T536LiXP. But for half the price, if this is worthwhile???

But, am I reading this right?:
Makita - 720 FPM (assuming that means feet per minute - or 12 Ft per second.
Husqvarna's site says 65.62 "fts". Is that feet per second? so it is 5x the chain speed? that would be worth more than 2x the price.

Neither lists torque that I can find.

Oh, and from their stock photos: :popcorn:

Last edited:

Valdo Tain

It has not that much torque but it's still excellent for most of my treework...If you like a more beefier version you should wait for the 2 x 18V version (XCU08)

Last edited:

Treespotter

I've got one in Dolmar orange.
During the summer (+35 degrees celcius) it let me down a couple of times because it got too hot to function. Otherwise it's a very nice easy to handle nimble saw. Don't expect Stihl 161 or Husqvarna 536 takedown power, but it functions quite well as a pruning saw with the occasional bigger branch.
Two weeks ago I got a 1/4 drive sprocket out of Japan to try a new 0.50 carving bar and chain (see picture). Told the Benelux sales rep that the bar and chain are too wide. He was going to forward my feedback to Japan again. For now I'm using my favourite combo on the saw. The new 0.43 Echo carving bar and 60 drive links 1/4 0.43 Stihl chain do the trick perfectly well.

Attachments

treebing

Very very light. Made the mistake of putting regular bar oil in it. Too cold was gunked up and the bar wouldn't spin. Put a little acetone in there to thin it. it sems to be going fine now. I see that with just one battery it doesnt run very long. My guess is its more competition to my silky than a bigger chainsaw. We will see. It is amazingly light