Making your own chains

What is everyone's opinion on the feasibility and affordability of making your own chains? Is it worthwhile or just easier to buy pre-made chains. Working for a municipality the driving factor is cost. A majority of our saws have the same gauge and pitch so we could in theory buy one reel of the same chain for multiple saws. What equipment would we need? Ok, go..

Brocky

That's what they did where I used to work. It is fast and easy to do and just takes simple tools to do. I'm guessing it would be cheaper and more convenient then going to store if new chains are needed.

Reactions: evo

Jasonk

Heres the fact: If you are an owner operator making the chains than yes its worthwhile. If your paying someone to make them I think the savings are minimal. We buy our chains from place called Comstock.com (I believe). Check them out, buy multiple at once and look at what the actual cost is compared to buying everything and making your own.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
If anyone is interested in making their own chains I've got the bench mount tools and some partial spools of chain for sale. Bargain priced too

Contact me via Conversation

craneguy1

We do make our own...have for years. Problem is most stihl dealers charge msrp that stihl sets for the spools...at almost $700 for 100 feet...hardly worth it. Might even be more now... Our closest dealer hasnt even spun their own stihl chains in 10 plus years...they come prepackaged. We hunt for deals and use only stihl chain....that reminds me; i have to spin up a 36 incher for wednesday. Damn new guys.

fall_risk

A decent grinder to sharpen would be a good investment, you can work with the chains you have for the time being and revisit the breaker and spinner later. Look into buying spools of chain online, Oregon and woodsman can be had a decent prices and if you fold it into a larger order or buy enough at once you might be able to get free shipping. If you end up making chain, get one of the bench Mats with the chain links printed on them, much faster and easier than counting links: http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Chain-Breakers-Spinners/Chain-Charts/Oregon-533129-Chain-Scale-Oregon.axd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fivepoints

I've been buying spools from loggerchain.com and spinning my own for 3/8 full size. Small loops I just buy. I figured out one day if I buy the same amount of 24" loops as are contained in 100ft it costs me about $165 more. I can spin up a full spool in about an hour. Effectively making $165 in an hour one evening seems like a good way to go to me.

tc262

I've been buying spools from loggerchain.com and spinning my own for 3/8 full size. Small loops I just buy. I figured out one day if I buy the same amount of 24" loops as are contained in 100ft it costs me about $165 more. I can spin up a full spool in about an hour. Effectively making $165 in an hour one evening seems like a good way to go to me.
Whether you buy spools or loops you'll save a lot by buying from loggerchain.com. In addition to having the best prices I could find anywhere online, they are a great little family run saw shop on the Wi/Iowa state line. Makes me feel even better about ordering from them. Excellent people that I recommend every chance I get.

Barc Buster

Whether you buy spools or loops you'll save a lot by buying from loggerchain.com. In addition to having the best prices I could find anywhere online, they are a great little family run saw shop on the Wi/Iowa state line. Makes me feel even better about ordering from them. Excellent people that I recommend every chance I get.
X2! Top notch people in my book.