Making the switch.....HAAS?

After 13 years of climbing, I finally decided to actually spend some time with SRT(SRS). I had tried it before, but never gave myself enough time to actually get used to the differences. I always felt like I should just stick with what I knew and that was DRT(MRS). Besides that, I really couldn't afford much gear until now.
I started climbing on the rope wrench and a foot ascender about a month ago. At first, it seemed a bit awkward and is definitely more physical, but I feel like I picked it up rather quickly. I was pretty efficient with my MRS system but I feel much faster and more free on SRS. I will definitely be switching.
I have ordered a rope walker system that should be here next week. I was hoping to get some opinions and maybe tips for setup because we all know everybody does it different to suit their style. Connection points, technique, etc. Thanks guys.

Benjo75

I also use the SAKA. It works very well. I haven't tried anything else though but I couldn't imagine anything working and better.

Gorman

Whatever you get I would highly recommend a chest harness. I’ve been using a cheap weaver one for 5 years. Neck tethers are way bad and it’s more convenient to clip in from your chest rather than swing your lanyard over the shoulder.

DSMc

The HAAS Velox is an excellent knee ascender. The difference between the two is that the SAKA has a double bungee, which gives it more pull power. This is not really needed in my opinion. The Velox, on the other hand, has a doubled bungee, which gives it more range of motion before the stretch reaches its limits. This is very helpful in that it gives the knee ascender a smoother pull and over a longer distance.

Thanks guys. I have ordered the Velox kit with the Ct ascender and the chest harness. SAKA looks nice but I got impatient looking for a kit with everything I needed. I found a ropewalker kit with HAAS Velox for $200. I think that's a pretty decent price considering most retailers online are selling Velox by itself for $179. Now, any suggestions on rope? I was thinking about trying the Xstatic or drenaLINE from teufelberger. Thoughts and opinions? My main goal is to become the fastest most efficient climber I can possibly be, without compromising safety of course. I've already got a pretty good handle on SRS. Just want to fine tune to be the best I can.

Whatever you get I would highly recommend a chest harness. I’ve been using a cheap weaver one for 5 years. Neck tethers are way bad and it’s more convenient to clip in from your chest rather than swing your lanyard over the shoulder.
What I have been doing is crossing a loop runner over my shoulders and clipping into the "X" and then to my RW. The kit I ordered comes with a chest harness so I'll be set when it get here.

MikoDel

This is another timely post, thanks guys and girls. I have a question about the friction devices used with SRT and how to unload them while under tension. I recently bought a wire core flipline with a friction CAM apparatus. I'm pretty positive it's a black Rope Grab. (screen capture attached from Arborist dot com)

My homemade positioning lanyard's friction hitch is fashioned with a piece of 8mm Ultra-Tech tied in a Schwabisch. No matter how much I'm pulling on that thing, I can always slack it if I need to change position. It's not always easy to do, because sometimes it can get a little "grabby", but it works nonetheless.

So recently I was climbing with the wire core, and the Rope Grab. When under tension, it is impossible (unless I still haven't figured it out) to pay out more lanyard. I simply MUST slack it in order unlock the friction device.

All this BS relates to this post thusly: Since I am a dyed-in-the-wool DdRT climber who's only experience climbing a single line is using a Petzl Texas system, my question is, while working SRT, before you get to your desired TIP and clip in doubled, is it easy to manipulate the friction devices used for SRT in both directions? Can you slack, as well as climb, easy enough? You know how it is... on the way up sometimes you see work you want to take care of right then and there, and so you detour a few seconds to hand saw something dead, etc.

If I go with an SRT system, which friction device do you like and can you pay your line thru under tension?

Attachments

Rope choice is as much personal choice as equipment used. Being fast and efficient on SRT ascent is 99% technique and 1% rope choice in my opinion.
I get that rope choice is more personal. I was really just looking for a few ideas as to what works well with RW. I am already fast and efficient as I have been climbing for 13 years and have dialed my skills. I'm quite skilled but want to be better. Just looking for some ideas to start with as I'm not as familiar with SRS gear/rope.

monkeylove

I missed the RW part, sorry. I can't help with that as I am an Akimbo and RR guy. There are many guys on here that do use a RW and various hitch/rope combinations. I am sure someone will chime in. Also check the search function, I remember a few threads about the wrench/hitch/rope variations and why certain ones were preferred.

MikoDel

Here is a review of my lanyard/RopeGrab device from the website bartlettman dot com... I guess this particular type of cam friction device req's a bit of personal acclimation. I also have the problem where the 'biner twists and loads off-axis. My plan is to sub in the Rope Grab on my normal positioning lanyard and see if I can use it successfully. This will be my first experience with a mechanical friction device. If I ever get an SRT rig hopefully time spent mucking about w/the Rope Grab will help.

Bought the 12ft length - and find it a bit too long (unless you always doublewrap), however it is easily coiled. All hardware seems solid and sturdy. Only complaint is the ropegrab: It really likes to bite/dig-in, and is not really possible to adjust one-handed, even with your other hand trying to feed it slack a few inches away. Was very frustrating on my first climb, but eventually got used to it and found a slight lean/hipthrust towards the tree while doing whats listed above, helped to free it up easier. Also found the carabiner tended to bind/twist and load the gate and end up in awkward positions when repositioning - solution was to keep the small side on the saddle Dee, gate towards your center, and the large side of the carabiner on the ropegrab. Works flawless now. For the price - it cannot be beat. Ropegrabs themselves cost almost as much as this lanyard kit.

oldoakman

Rick, as to rope choices, I like the Yale 11.7 lines and have used them exclusively for the past several years. They don't have a lot of stretch so you don't bounce so much on ascent and all your effort is all positive. I just picked up a Yale Scandere line and really like it a lot but only have a few climbs on it so far. As to your comment about using more effort, I think once you get your system dialed in and accustomed to, you will find you use less effort to climb.

Benjo75

I also like the chest box for tending. I use a Rope Runner. But I also still use the Rope Wrench quite a bit. I've been playing around with different hitch cords, lengths diameters and brands. I use a Hitchclimber pulley. Currently I'm using 28" HRC tied in a Michoacan. I use a VT also but prefer the Michoacan at this time.

oldoakman

I've found the SAKA to be quite a bit better than HAAS; after purchasing four HAAS ascender's, we're switching to the SAKA.
X2! I like the stiffness from foot to knee in the Saka. Seems to move more smoothly and sure. I had to cobble a homemade knee ascender while on vacation this past month and was constantly fighting the flop factor during the climb.

Rick, as to rope choices, I like the Yale 11.7 lines and have used them exclusively for the past several years. They don't have a lot of stretch so you don't bounce so much on ascent and all your effort is all positive. I just picked up a Yale Scandere line and really like it a lot but only have a few climbs on it so far. As to your comment about using more effort, I think once you get your system dialed in and accustomed to, you will find you use less effort to climb.
Thanks for the tips. I really love SRS. I feel it was a bit more physical at first because I was using muscles that were not used as much. I get more done SRS and have more energy at the end of the day. Can't wait to get my rope walker system next week. I will look into the Yale 11.7's

Drumbo

@MikoDel I belive most mechanical rope grabs do not release slack under tension unlike a hitch which does. I am pretty sure the ART positioner is one of if not the only mechanical ropegrap/lanyard device that can be released under load.

joezilla11

What I have been doing is crossing a loop runner over my shoulders and clipping into the "X" and then to my RW. The kit I ordered comes with a chest harness so I'll be set when it get here.
What I’ve always done is tied a loop runner with an arborwear belt, the x goes on your back and u clip it together in the front with a mini biner. The belt makes it adjustable to layers of clothing