Making picks over energized lines?

Discussion in 'Crane Use' started by cody willard, Nov 12, 2017.

1. cody willard

cody willard New Member

What are the rules about making picks OVER lines. OSHA guidelines seem to point to a minimum 20ft clearance but 1926 almost seemed like it pretained to working under them?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. craneguy1

craneguy1 Well-Known Member

Oh that opens a can of worms...it seems as though depending on the area; the "rules" change.

squad143 and deevo like this.
  3. Jem4417

Jem4417 Well-Known Member

Definitely a good question

4. cody willard

cody willard New Member

With so far no answers haha!

5. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

It’s different here in Canada as well, always ask the power co first for their permission, and a line kill depending on how close your MAD is. Refer to crane manuals as well if working over live lines, it specify’s the MAD. Also the crane op makes the call, I don’t like running my crane over any high voltage lines, I always use my friend who does work for Ontario hydro with his bigger crane, he has more boom, can setup further back and have a safe buffer from the wires. But as a rule I try for a line drop or kill when running my crane over hydro. Make sure whoever is on the crew are all trained to work around power as well, if you have a good crew, crane op then things should go as normal, sling right, cut right , lift right your good!

squad143 likes this.
  6. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

I've got a big one coming up over both primarys myself.. Usually in MI u can request a c removal from the power company, they have davey come out with their linemen take out what evers over the wire. Then i come in and finish the rest.

7. adaycj

adaycj Member

This. ITC seems really good about this. Just be prepared to wait a month or three if they don't deem it as threatening. They seem to want to do a "10 year" cutback, so your customer should be prepared for a chop job if it isn't a removal. I'm sure the process and response varies depending on who owns and maintains the lines, as stated.

8. oldoakman

oldoakman Well-Known Member

Several years ago a friend was picking over GA power primaries. GA power caught him and tore him a new one. Apparently their rules are no picks over the primaries.

9. Evan Sussman

Evan Sussman Active Member

Out here you can do it. like working within the 20' MAD you need a spotter. However this spotter has to be elevated to the height of the lines so that can ensure you don't encroach the applicable MAD. The spotter would probably be in a bucket truck... Or, get the lines shut off.