Making an eye in double braid polyester rope...

New2trees

Hey all was just looking up some instructions on doing an eye splice on some polydyne, when I stumbled on this video by "Premium Ropes". It is titled making an eye in double braided polyester ropes...but is sure does not look like a secure splice to me.

Is this mearly a decorative splice? I have already seen several arborists asking if they can use this splice on their climbing lines with no replies....I am concerned someone may employ this and take a fall, any input is welcome.

Worthaug

Hey all was just looking up some instructions on doing an eye splice on some polydyne, when I stumbled on this video by "Premium Ropes". It is titled making an eye in double braided polyester ropes...but is sure does not look like a secure splice to me.

Is this mearly a decorative splice? I have already seen several arborists asking if they can use this splice on their climbing lines with no replies....I am concerned someone may employ this and take a fall, any input is welcome.

The reputable brands, Teufelberger, Samson, and Yale all have Class I double braid splice instructions better suited for each rope and PPE. Follow those. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CutHighnLetFly

Definitely more than decorative. You could definitely trust that to tie off a boat or some of the like, but like stated, I wouldn't go hanging yourself off of it.

But thanks for posting that. The person who did that splice know how to work on a rope. Wish I looked remotely that smooth when I'm doing double braid splices

NE Tree

Very clean in his work for sure. Other than a couple measurements being a little off and his cover taper very disappointing, it looked like a standard class 1 db splice to me. Am I missing something?

Worthaug

Very clean in his work for sure. Other than a couple measurements being a little off and his cover taper very disappointing, it looked like a standard class 1 db splice to me. Am I missing something?
I'm not gonna trust my life to "standard" are you?

NE Tree

All I'm saying is that's the same process as a class 1 db splice from Samson or yale minus the details mentioned (which of course are very important to stick to). I'll bet it holds up pretty good in a break test. I'd consider splicing my rigging line like this if I thought it would go that smooth and clean and I was in a big hurry. Maybe a beak test is due

New2trees

All I'm saying is that's the same process as a class 1 db splice from Samson or yale minus the details mentioned (which of course are very important to stick to). I'll bet it holds up pretty good in a break test. I'd consider splicing my rigging line like this if I thought it would go that smooth and clean and I was in a big hurry. Maybe a beak test is due

I am not sure if I am missing something as I am very new to this whole splicing deal...However at no point in this video do I see him remove and weave any strands from the core? As said I am new to this but every splice I have seen other than splicing Tenex etc. hollow core rope you have to weave strands?

If this is OK, please guys let me know because I would love to be able to do a simple splice like this if its an acceptable method on double braid...it would be a heck of a lot easier than trying to keep track of weaving all those identically covered strands.

Brocky

That splice might be good enough for a rigging rope, but not enough details on the measurements to trust it for life support.

New2trees, just a few rope constructions require you to weave or tuck strands, most have to be buried, like the Tenex.

New2trees

Damn glad I asked, I was under the impression that any double braid required weaving. Can I splice my Yale Polydyne using just a tuck and bury similar to this video?

Worthaug

Damn glad I asked, I was under the impression that any double braid required weaving. Can I splice my Yale Polydyne using just a tuck and bury similar to this video?
No, use Yale's Industrial Double Braid splicing instructions found on their website.

evo

What you saw in the video was a sloppy double braid splice. The instructions can be confusing, but besides correct measurements and proper tapers (simply pulling out select strands) the video had the basics. Like others have stated, it's a good enough job, but no life support splice. I'd bet that it would be stronger than a knot

ARLO

I just watched the Premium Rope video and there are several things that would get you into trouble when splicing almost any of the tightly woven double braid arborist ropes. For example he does not bother to get a very tight crossover and he does not taper the core before pulling it inside the cover. That would spell disaster when doing the bury in a tightly woven rope like Tachyon, and would produce a very lumpy and ugly splice in arborist rope. So, I agree with Worthaug. Stick with the manufacturer's recommendations, or with one of the videos put out by people like Nick or Nice Guy Dave, who are experts at splicing arborist's ropes.