lurking women, care to introduce yourselves?

Discussion in 'WOTT- Women Of The Trees' started by Kathy_Holzer, Apr 18, 2008.

1. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Hey, nicoleb! I'm probably not the best person to advise you on the limbwalk issue, but maybe @oceans can chime in with some helpful tips.

@Tom Dunlap gave a good hint regarding placement of an anchor point more directly overhead. One of the biggest advantages to climbing SRT is the ability to create a new support point just about anywhere you'd like to. Just girth hitch a sling around a branch and add a biner to it, and then clip your rope into the biner for a new support point.

I tend to climb using DSRT techniques, and this protects my relatively novice behind from taking any bone shattering swings due to having a foot slip off of a branch during a limbwalk.

Reg Coates doesn't seem to like the idea of too much dependence on climbing the rope, as I do, versus climbing the tree using fine balance and skill, as he does. I think he'd prefer to see a climber develop the fine balance possessed by the tight rope walkers. It is probably a lot faster to climb that way, if you're able to acquire the skill. I just can't afford the downside risk of busting my body up.

Also, if you aren't aware of the "rope walker" climbing system, you should look up videos of it. It requires a foot ascender and a knee ascender. I think it might be much easier than foot locking.

Tim

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    nicoleb and Tom Dunlap like this.
  2. roxy

roxy Active Member

Hey Nicole, welcome to the Buzz and the whole wide world of tree climbing arborist geeks. Some of the forearm burn will go away as you condition more to climbing. Some could go away if you incorporate different techniques. Definitely explore single line especially for long ascents. See if Justin K is willing to do a rec climb some weekend; he can get you going from DdRt to SRT ascent only to SRWP. Have fun! Rebecca

nicoleb likes this.
  3. GregManning

GregManning Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Roxy ! Long time, no speak !
    Just FYI . . . Nicole's current "coach" is Cormac Nagan (both at Heartwood Tree in NC).

(pretty darn good IMO !)

But more is always better !

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    nicoleb and roxy like this.
  4. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

I was going to say, she's got some people at Heartwood that are unreal lol

nicoleb likes this.
  5. GregManning

Originally, when I first wrote those comments above, I thought:

"Gosh, I wish I had Cormac as my first "coach"".

After a micro-second, I remembered that my first coach was Rich H. ! ! !

Some of us are just very lucky, and fortunate !

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    TimBr, nicoleb and hseII like this.
  6. roxy

roxy Active Member

Yes, definitely. Chad Brey was the one who first got me climbing.

7. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

@roxy was my teacher :birra:

GregManning, roxy and TimBr like this.
  8. GregManning

Wow ! That's another good one.
    Everyone should be so lucky ! ! !

roxy likes this.
  9. Mel

Mel Member

Hey everyone, I see the thread's been inactive for a while but I feel I should pipe up anyway.

I'm Mel (for Melissa), hailing from the great white North. I live and work in Winnipeg, Manitoba and am a climber/groundie/Safety and maintenance manager for my fiancé's tree business. My rope skills root from rock climbing, mountaineering and the industrial side, being a rope rescue and confined space rescue tech. So, I know a thing or two about ropes and rigging. My introduction to the tree world came in the form of my bf (fiancé now) and two of his army brothers jumping into the biz with both feet despite not knowing a whole lot about it. It's been just over a year since then and we've worked alongside winnipeg's best climbers who have said we have our s**t pretty well sorted out. So, it seems we're on the right track.

Naturally, I started out grounding for my bf and his 2 other partners but through being more available to work and just being better with ropes in general, I was eventually allowed to climb. Today, I climb about 50% of the time and the other 50% means I'm grounding for my fiancé. I've been using company gear but I recently just pulled the trigger on a MCRS and some hardware for my own lanyards which I am unbelievably stoked about.

Anyway, that's me. Hoping to bring this thread back up to life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimBr, nicoleb, hseII and 2 others like this.
  10. GregManning

Welcome to TB.
    Matt Cornell & I live in Northern Ohio.
    Have fun setting up the MCRS !

nicoleb likes this.
  11. Mel

Mel Member

Very interesting! Nice to meet you.

I'm coming from a petzl sequoia so it will be quite the change. I can't wait to set it up, I love how it's built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicoleb and hseII like this.
  12. Merle Nelson

Merle Nelson Well-Known Member

Welcome Mel. Bringing this thread back to life is great, glad you're here. Also, use the whole of TreeBuzz - like you own it. :)

You can use the search function to find info on so many valuable topics, some in exhaustive detail.

Congrats on getting more of your own gear. We all treat things differently and being able to control how my gear is taken care of when I hang my life on it has always been of top importance to me.

I started out working for a tree service where we went out in two person teams and both could climb. Being able to switch between climbing and ground work seems like the best of both worlds to me.

TimBr, nicoleb, FreeFallin and 2 others like this.
  13. nicoleb

nicoleb New Member

Thanks Tim! I went through a bit of no phone/ no computer, thank you for the tips and things to try.
    Hoping ill be able to go to an srt workshop within the next year or so.

TimBr likes this.
  14. Angela Simpson

Angela Simpson New Member

Hello everyone!

My name is Angela and I'm an ISA Certified Arborist. My company is Tree Health Lady. You can find me in East Texas / West Louisiana. My primary focus is tree health - injections, fertilizations, spraying, assessments, consultations, etc. We do some pruning / removal / stump grinding. But I enjoy the challenge of the diagnosis and coming up with a treatment plan. I've been in business since 2010. Glad to be a part of this group and learning more from fellow female arborists!

~Angela
    www.TreeHealthLady.com

Stihlmadd, hseII, chiselbit and 4 others like this.
  15. Merle Nelson

Welcome to TreeBuzz Angela.

Just my suggestion.....if it gets a little slow waiting for other female arborists to post (notice the dates at the bottom of each post by a female) consider going to the forum section "Identify This" and its two forums that involve diagnosis.

Also if you want to see a broader cross section of any individuals online persona you can click on their screen name and view all of their previous posts in various forums here.

Again, welcome.

TimBr and Brocky like this.
  16. GregManning

Welcome Angela !

17. Angela Simpson

Angela Simpson New Member

Thanks Merle! I appreciate the feedback. I'll check other threads as well.

Angela
    www.TreeHealthLady.com

hseII and TimBr like this.
  18. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Welcome Angela. I do similiar work as you. Looking forward to your input on the Buzz

TimBr likes this.
  19. Merle Nelson

Forward

Dan Carsten thought to post a link here, but, neither he nor I can copy link and get it to post.

Will someone put up WCISA's info about a great looking women's climbing skills workshop coming to Applegate CA Oct 6th - 7th?

20. Merle Nelson

Turns out that clicking on the word "Forward" above has all the pertinent info, just minus the pretty graphics and etc.