Lubing wear pads

pctree

Ok so who does it and what do you use?

I read somewhere when I first got my crane that lots of tree guys don't use grease as it attracts the sawdust.

christreez

We don't lube ours I think the crane from 1994 had them replaced once. No visible negative effects... I could see tons of sawdust building up would sawdust filled lube be worse then no lube? I can't tell you

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

flyingsquirrel25

On our ladder truck at the fire station we don't lube the silicone plates ever but it's also not daily use
Really. Our 75' gets lithium spray once a month. Pain in the ars when we start using ropes on the ladder.
On our stick cranes in vt we used to use the spray lithium any chance we got. I always hated the dry boom hop! o_O

craneguy1

The worse part is when the crap makes its way into the boom...to much can derail extend/retract cables...

Lumberjack

No lubing on the KB, replace the pads as required. On the Nifty Lift, the pads would chatter after a while (factory lubed the boom), spray lithium is what I use. Telescope the boom out, squirt a light coat on, retract the boom, wipe off the excess.

Hoowasat

Paraffin wax? An old bicycling trick was to dip your chain in melted paraffin wax. No petroleum lube for dust particles to attach, and your hands stayed clean when handling the chain. Graphite is a dry lubricant, but is messy. Don't know how you'd apply it on a crane.

SJ_Treeguy

The KBoom does require lube ,Palfinger uses a spray lube that goes on wet and than drys and does not rub off easily, it is expensive , i do it every 5 to 6 months . i would not go longer than that , one can will last for two applications .

Lumberjack

I was told something similar to Steve, maybe that it was food grade grease (not oil) or something different about the grease, but I have no clue why they would use it vs the grease they use on the rest of the boom. All in all it's not a big deal, but from what I was told, my boom doesn't require greasing for the slides, but if you start you have to keep doing it. I would just assume to never start, one less thing to deal with.

Courierguy

My National 1300 has "no lube" sliders. I used to use Lube-a-boom on my earlier boom trucks, but don't use anything now. Something similar to this came up on an electric bike forum I'm on, guys wanting or thinking they needed to lube the (plastic) gears. Turns out it seemed to cause more problems, my attitude, on my bike or my crane, is if it's plastic, I don't lube it. One less thing to mess with is always good.

pctree

What electric bike do you have? I have been playing with electric bikes as in bicycles for a while now