Loopie vs whoopie

RBJtree

Loopie vs whoopie, which do you prefer and why? In tree vs ground level?

I've never had one of either, always used rope or a dead eye sling. Loopies and whoopies look much easier and faster, especially when chunking down spars. I just ordered a whoopie, looking forward to using it.

theatertech87

Ultra sling or a dead eye for me... can't stand loopies or whoopies, never as easy to adjust as I want, don't cinch down on small branches well, really large trees require excessively long amounts of rope.

Reactions: ATH

TallTreeClimber

I feel like the whoopie is the appropriate device for using a bollard. I bought one for that, and I bought 3 loopies for in-tree use with my block. I don't have much experience with any, but these are my thoughts from a mechanics perspective and a little experience.

I'm not an arborist, although I behave like one when my trees need work.

*useless info*

All Day, Every Day in every way:
If pulling perpendicular to the anchor/mount,(Like hang sling and pulley) so that rope parts of load pull and stop are inline
>>can use single bearing of rope as seating on host mount of Timber or Whoopie etc.
But for lengthwise pulls,(like Porty) would go with double bearing /double spread grab on host mount of : Cow, Round Sling etc.
Especially pull along/into receding taper.
Mr. Ashley, stops his book and makes specific notes here.
Being that rope is in preferred position when pulling perpendicular to mount
>>anything less, is in fact less
>>this 'lengthwise' pull being like a geometric force opposite is the worst
ABoK chapter_22: Lengthwise Pull (pre-ramble/opening statement):
"To withstand a lengthwise pull without slipping is about the most that can be asked of a hitch. Great care must be exercised in tying the following series of knots, and the impossible must not he expected..."
In this chapter find basically half hitch in front of Timber for Killick type builds of preceding half hitches, or series of turns into similair, climbing hitches like this and VT, Round Sling, BUT NOT EYE TO EYE SLING set to choke 1x etc. on this errant/lengthwise pull.
Like 1 nail can secure, but also serve as swivel to pull upwards
But, 2nd nail, like 2nd bearing, spread distance apart, would keep board from swiveling up
>>Can fight inline force with 1 point, but ALWAYS need at least 2 points to correctly confront cross force.
ABoK chap_26 pre-ramble:
"But knotting is merely the application of certain mechanical principles, and a principle itself can hardly become obsolete"
(principle might go out of fashion we see, but due to come back, as is after all a principle!)
When watching the magic act of how much force is controlled;
Always be watching the magician's other hand, the side forces.
That can be the tricky hand that gets ya!

Last edited:

rico

I use dead eyes and whoppies, and love em both. Recently bought a double beast ring whoopie for blocking down spars and swinging bigger wood. Just killer!

robthetreemanct

Just bought a 5/8 loopie recently. Broke it out for a small hickory trunk last weekend and remembered why I stopped using them like 4 years ago. Dead eyes for blocking and ultra slings for everything else.

Last edited:

RBJtree

I used my new whoopie in a large black locust yesterday. I see what some of you are saying about adjustment difficulty in the tree. I had to move my block down 5 or 6 times while chunking down the spar and it probably took longer than with a dead eye. The bark on this beast of a locust didn't help either. I just started doing my own splicing, so I think I will make an ultra sling and see how I like that.

TimBr

Just bought a 5/8 loopie recently. Broke it out for a small hickory trunk last weekend and remembered why I stopped using them like 4 years ago. Dead eyes for blocking and ultra slings for everything else.
@robthetreemanct; Hey, Rob! Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here!

I was wondering if you could share with us the reason why you stopped using the Loopie slings four years ago? Was it that you felt they took longer to adjust than the dead eye slings or the ultra slings? Thanks in advance for any answer you choose to provide, and for becoming a member here on the forum.

Tim

robthetreemanct

@robthetreemanct; Hey, Rob! Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here!

I was wondering if you could share with us the reason why you stopped using the Loopie slings four years ago? Was it that you felt they took longer to adjust than the dead eye slings or the ultra slings? Thanks in advance for any answer you choose to provide, and for becoming a member here on the forum.

Tim
I just find by the time I get a loopie adjusted properly, especially on big wood, I can hitch up a dead eye and already have my saw in the wood. Dead eyes I can get much tighter making for a cleaner setup. That's just me though.

KevinS

Whoopies have the dead eye so I put them on pow the loopier are just endless loops so they’re good if you have something midline attachable like a block.
I’ve heard the theory that loopies can go smaller and they don’t have the extra tail length of the dead eye. As well, even though you play within your swl the splice of the dead eye is still a splice therefore it is a weakness. Which should be irrelevant within the swl but none the less.

They’re both good I have 1/2” slings each kind but if it’s a POW, xrrs, etc it should be a whoopie but for my small 3” cmon pulley the whoopie covers small to big easy.

They’re was a comment above about a whoopie being too long sometimes and yes it can be I have a 15’ whoopie that if I put on a 6” tree I have to take a couple wraps around the trunk.

Dead eye, eye to eye, ultra, whoopie, loopie, loop. All tools in your toolbox no one is perfect for everything but each will work for anything. Just try, test, learn different situations different tools

Serf Life

Was just talking yesterday about regretting buying a loopie for my block. More of a hassle and bulky in the tree than dead eye sling. Had it loosen before when using a block as a redirect twitching logs out too. Remember liking a whoopie decent enough, definitely have to work out the slack when setting which can be a pain on rough bark. Ultra looks really nice for in-tree work.