Looking to Place Young, Trained, Rockstars

rugger01

So I wanted to reach out to you all to see if you can help me solve a problem that I face on a regular basis. As many of you know, I run one one of if not the only 4 year arbor training programs for high school kids in the country. The school is located in Dighton, MA and we pull kids from all over Bristol County. Here is my problem, student retention. Kids go through my school and my major and by the droves they flock to other career paths. There are a litany of potential reasons as to why this could be happening (we are gathering data as to potential causes). The one that I would like to focus on, with this post, is job placement.

As you all know, our industry is screaming for employees. My (and I believe it is actually all of our) issue is the countless, lets just say "less than scrupulous" companies which exist. Right now I tell my kids that unless they are willing to travel then it is going to be very difficult to find them job placement which will be rewarding at best and not lethal at least. There are a select few companies near us that are legit and we are in communication with them and we place kids with them already. Many of the other companies that surround the school are uneducated, unsafe, dishonest, "Tree Guys" that would love to beat a young kid straight into the ground. I can not, in good conscience, do this to one of my students. This poses a problem as we gets kids trained and all jacked up they want to go practice what we are preaching to them. This is where the struggle resides. The kid doesn't get a summer job (or post graduate) in the industry and starts to work at target; well, by the time they are back in school we have lost them. SO if you are or if you know of a GOOD / LEGIT company near me please PM me so we can try to set something up. I will be asking you to fill out some basic paperwork to get added to our list. I CAN FEED YOU WELL TRAINED ENTRY LEVEL EMPLOYEES!!! This should be every employers dream. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to give.

rugger01

If you google Bristol County Agricultural High School we will come up. It is currently getting switched and updated so sorry if it sucks. I have gotten a few of them to venture away but it is a hard sale on a few fronts. First to find housing for someone on such a short term is a tough ask. Second the finances prove to be a challenge (paying for rent etc. VS living at home). Third and, I believe, most importantly asking a current young individual to move away from EVERYTHING they know if tough. Most of today's kids are not ready for that step yet. I have placed some kids with Mark in NJ and they rave about the experience of being able to learn from such a great environment but most are just not ready to take the plunge. I took that step, as many here, have but kids of today are not like us in many ways. Thanks for the PMs. Keep them coming

craneguy1

In ohio here...went to paul smiths in ny for my degree...no one else that went there lived anywhere near (or far depending on your perspective) as me. Always looking for good people.

rugger01

I will absolutely pass along any opportunities. Thank you for the offer. In an average class of 14 we are lucky to get 4-5 to continue into the field or college. That is why we are trying to address this issue. Thank you all for your help

flyingsquirrel25

I too would be interested in young adults that have a strong work ethic and a will to learn. And lord know we could use the help. I think your problem is you have flooded the market in your area (the same that occurred where I went to tech school). Just not enough quality companies to handle the volume coming from your classes.

I will absolutely pass along any opportunities. Thank you for the offer. In an average class of 14 we are lucky to get 4-5 to continue into the field or college. That is why we are trying to address this issue. Thank you all for your help
I wouldn’t necessarily consider this a problem. You are turning close to 30% of your students into the field for carriers, at the high school level! That is a HUGE SUCCESS given today’s learning, focus and all around “work” disorders. It’s nothing to be ashamed of to loose 70% to target, mcD’s or Wally worlds. Some colleges don’t even have your success rate. In 20 years maybe 20% of the guys I have worked with are still at it, the rest couldn’t hack it.
You should be celebrating your success! GREAT JOB PROMOTING/ADVANCING OUR INDUSTRY (y)

TimberJack

The big yellow, green, and white companies would gladly help you with placement opportunities all over the northeast and from my expeirence are very supportive to dealing with green horns.

Stephen Moore

Well my friends, the big 2 Asplundh and Davy Tree Service are always on the hunt for good crew. They pay well and have medical and dental packages as well as a pension plan. Asplundh is world wide so that provides an opportunity for some to see/work elsewhere and get some unique tree experience. I do not work for either company so this is not a recruitment ploy. IF the person in question is not a certified Utility Arborist then that is also a great way to get the hours needed if you like swinging a limbing saw?!

rugger01

Great feedback. Thanks. We encourage the kids to to to the New England TCC and depending on where it is located, sometimes we can get them to go. It is a great opportunity for them to see the light. I know we have they "big guys" around here. Some of the are on my advisory board. Some of them have an 18 year old policy. So this brings me to another question, will your comp company allow you to hire individuals under 18? I have run into this in the past where a few local companies say their comp co. has a 18 y/o minimum. I called my comp co. and they told me they didn't care as long the employees was of legal working age I could cover them. The school has a letter that we used to give to employers stating that the student was involved in vocational education and this employment was part of their schooling. That solved the issue with some companies while others have said they have no wiggle room. What does your policy allow? Im just curious could you hire a 16 y/o kid for summer work between soph and jr year of high school?

Stephen Moore

Great feedback. Thanks. We encourage the kids to to to the New England TCC and depending on where it is located, sometimes we can get them to go. It is a great opportunity for them to see the light. I know we have they "big guys" around here. Some of the are on my advisory board. Some of them have an 18 year old policy. So this brings me to another question, will your comp company allow you to hire individuals under 18? I have run into this in the past where a few local companies say their comp co. has a 18 y/o minimum. I called my comp co. and they told me they didn't care as long the employees was of legal working age I could cover them. The school has a letter that we used to give to employers stating that the student was involved in vocational education and this employment was part of their schooling. That solved the issue with some companies while others have said they have no wiggle room. What does your policy allow? Im just curious could you hire a 16 y/o kid for summer work between soph and jr year of high school?
I would suggest that the students at least have a valid drivers license? It seems to be one of the main issues we have, many applicants in our area have had an ( infraction ) and are legally not allowed to drive our dump truck or other equipment. Air brakes is also a major advantage! I know that’s a lot to expect from a 16 year old but ... doing runs with the dump truck is a big one.