Looking to buy a 394xp.

BeesandTrees

Looking to pick up a 394xp for fairly cheap. Starts up and runs, piston looks pretty good...Not a saw I would use much but need a big saw every once in a while. Are they worth it if I can get a good deal, even if I need some rebuild on it? Just bite it and get a 395? What's a good compression on these? All saws need to be around 150 to be considered good? Looking it up online says I can run a 42" bar on it which would be plenty. Not a big fan of the front chain adjuster but......thank you. What about parts, still fairly easy to get.

Z'sTrees

KIMG0599.jpg I dont love the front adjuster either but I feel like the 394 can be a good buy used. I've got less than 600 in mine with bar and chain and a few replacement parts. I use it for my big saw and alaskan mill. Its definitely a power house and the vibes arent too bad for a 1994 model saw. A bit heavy for me on the saddle but not intolerable.
If I was going to be needing a 3' bar in the tree more often I would go for the 661cm regardless of price.

Last edited:

BeesandTrees

Thanks guys. I have another Husky with the front adjuster and don't care for it much but....for what I need, big saw sometimes and mill sometimes, not full time use, I think used with a few in it for parts is how I want to go. Appreciate the feedback.