Longwood Gardens - Arborist/Climber Wanted!

Hey buzzers!

Been a while since I've been on the buzz, guess my username expired it's been so long! Used to go under YoungBuzzer but anyways...my name is Tyler Altenburger and am the Arborist Manager at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA. We are currently looking for a full time arborist/climber. We are a team of five looking for our sixth member and hopefully a seventh later in the fall. Longwood is a public garden with over 1,000 acres of land. Our responsibilities range from pruning, pollarding, hazard assessments, Christmas lights, cabling/bracing & lightning protection maintenance, removals (manual, bucket, lift or crane assisted) and many other fun projects such as teaching classes or educating the public. We have quality equipment, all gear and PPE provided, plenty of continuing education opportunities and a beautiful place to work. Longwood thrives through teamwork and a passion to preserve it's trees and share with the world. ISA Certification, PA Pesticide Applicator License & PA CDL B is preferred or must be willing to obtain in the first 6 months. Competitive pay & amazing benefits! PM me for details but also see the attached job posting. Feel free to share if you know anyone interested.

Thanks,
Tyler

Attachments

flyingsquirrel25

If you are looking for a place to round out your skill set and complete projects most in the residential world only dream of, this is the job for you! It’s a great place to learn, teach and try new things. I spent ten years working on this crew with the talented staff employed by the gardens. For me, the job allowed me to escape the “tree guy” routine through professional development, continuing education and a commitment to health and safety.
Though no longer on the Arborist team, I would not trade my time there for the world and would recommend ANY young, willing to learn, up and coming Arborist to apply.
If the opportunities that presidented themselves to me had not, you guys wouldn’t be having this opportunity to work at such a wonderful place :). If you want to chat with someone that’s been there, PM me, I’ll be happy to discuss my experiences.
Mert

Im looking for a great opportunity in Pa once I finish this job corps program to be an arborist was wondering if there's any other opportunities left im currently in Kentucky in soon graduating from this program!

Stephen Moore

Sounds like this place should offer an apprentice position? Seems like a perfect fit for a student. They could provide every aspect of tree work under one roof with all types of equipment.

True but I've already completed the necessary things such as tree biology, tree worker safety chainsaw certifications my hazmat and my fema certifications first aid certified. I know how to secure the work area as well as being an excellent climber and a great grounds men also been using a wood chipper.

Sounds like this place should offer an apprentice position? Seems like a perfect fit for a student. They could provide every aspect of tree work under one roof with all types of equipment.
They do offer the apprentice position to the right candidates. Tyler began that way and I believe they may even have hired their intern on in this manner (not positive). The also offer a very robust intern program if one were looking to fulfill college credit. The big issue is many internships only require 3 months (a summer). The crew prefers the entire year because there is much more time to learn all aspects. These guys literally have the opportunity to do every aspect of tree care.

Im looking for a great opportunity in Pa once I finish this job corps program to be an arborist was wondering if there's any other opportunities left im currently in Kentucky in soon graduating from this program!
APPLY!!!! You never know they may like you and wait on you.... or there might even be an additional position opening up this fall ;) you never know how this crazy world works. Great opportunity it is!!!

Stephen,
As Mert mentioned we have several different positions both in the arborist division and within our horticulture department. Within the department we have a really great Professional Gardener program where students accepted take a two year curriculum of both in class and in the field courses. They leave with an associates in horticulture or can transfer credits to get a bachelors elsewhere. We also have many different internships, including a year long one within the arborist division. We also have an apprentice position which was created for me when I first started 9 years ago. Gives team members time to get their different certifications while still learning but have a strong interest in the industry and our organization.

We are still accepting applications for our full time arborist position so if anyone is interested, please use the address in my initial posting!

Thank you,
Tyler

Stephen Moore

Stephen,
As Mert mentioned we have several different positions both in the arborist division and within our horticulture department. Within the department we have a really great Professional Gardener program where students accepted take a two year curriculum of both in class and in the field courses. They leave with an associates in horticulture or can transfer credits to get a bachelors elsewhere. We also have many different internships, including a year long one within the arborist division. We also have an apprentice position which was created for me when I first started 9 years ago. Gives team members time to get their different certifications while still learning but have a strong interest in the industry and our organization.

We are still accepting applications for our full time arborist position so if anyone is interested, please use the address in my initial posting!

Thank you,
Tyler
Man if I wasn’t old, married, with children and Canadian of the West Coast variety, I’d be all over that the a cat in box full of mice!

Stephen Moore

I'm not a full time arborist so I mine as well wait till I get more experience till I submit an application to you!
Dude, the whole point is they are looking for a suitable candidate. What is the criteria? Gungho, in good shape, eager to learn, willing to work at height, willing to commit to the company the time they require to invest in you. And most importantly, mold ability... an open book mentality! They can teach you everything you need to know. I’d be humping their leg for a job NOW if I were you.