Log splitter options

tomstrees

My brother bought a Champion log splitter from Home Depot early last year, I have been doing splitting for hire with it. Every month or two I have had a job of a couple cords, etc..

He says it is getting damaged, some dents but not performance issues really. He isn't used to working on his own equipment but drops them off at the shop for mechanic service.

Now he only wants me to operate it in vertical, I have three jobs on the horizon. I told him that no one I know operated a hydraulic unit 100% vertical. He says that is the way he does it.

Can anyone recommend a good splitter for under $1000, I should probably buy one myself?

Jehinten

My brother bought a Champion log splitter from Home Depot early last year, I have been doing splitting for hire with it. Every month or two I have had a job of a couple cords, etc..

He says it is getting damaged, some dents but not performance issues really. He isn't used to working on his own equipment but drops them off at the shop for mechanic service.

Now he only wants me to operate it in vertical, I have three jobs on the horizon. I told him that no one I know operated a hydraulic unit 100% vertical. He says that is the way he does it.

Can anyone recommend a good splitter for under $1000, I should probably buy one myself?

I'd go the route of a homemade splitter, that's what I did when I was looking. I have about $800 in this one at the moment, bought it for $600 and replaced the belt driven vane pump with a 2 stage pump connected with a love-joy coupler. Mine is strictly a horizontal splitter and I've made a slip on 4-way wedge for it.

Jehinten

I didn't mention it, but you will want to do your homework when looking. As mentioned above, I installed the current hydraulic pump, so I was able to make sure it was matched up properly. Hydraulics really aren't that difficult to get a working system and there are a ton of resources online to help. Feel free to buy a store made unit, but in my opinion they're all over priced for what you get and very limited options in your price range.

Jehinten

Quite a splitter!
Thank you, I bought it for its potential VS how it actually performed at the time of purchase.

So far I've only replaced the pump on it and built a 4 way wedge, I still have a few things I'd like to do to it such as add a tray for the split pieces. It will be angled up slightly so that the split firewood can fall off the end into a trailer.

Reach

Tractor Supply seems to sell a decent low-end splitter, but if you can increase your budget a bit, check out the Zook Mighty Ox splitters, made here in Lancaster County. We had an L-30 when we used to do a lot of firewood, but ended up selling it and now we just rent on occasion. It’s cheaper than owning, unless you really use it a lot.

For anyone interested in the Mighty Ox splitters, this is the only website I can find ads for them on. https://www.legendlandsupply.com/wood-splitter-chippers-s/116.htm The company that builds them is Amish, so they probably do not have their own website.

VenasNursery

AllWood log splitter this one was custom 40hp Kohler 38 gpm hyd cooler lift all the bells and whistles
The most we split in 1 day was 44 facecords in 11 hrs
Over 23k invested and up for sale 11,000 used for 2 seasons

Attachments

Serf Life

You could get a decent used one for that money, doubt you could find a 27ton plus for less than that which didn't need work. Been looking around me for about a year, rental is closer to $50/day here, used a 33ton Iron and Oak 4-way which was impressive. Smaller units get used to the max constantly, used is abused that I've seen.

tomstrees

I rented a Remington 27 ton unit today for around $100, no damage clause, so I guess I have to go there tomorrow and apologize for the bent top support unit, there are two. I'm not sure how it happened. Imported China junk, have used their MTD units before, Ok but not quite as good as the aforementioned Champion 27 from Home Depot. Heck, my brother got peeved I was denting stuff like the mud flaps and gas tank, but no performance issue. Vertical splitting only is not sensible as the only way to split, and I'm not going to lie about how I am going to use a unit. Rental agencies all have homeowner units around here except for United Rental that has these big heavy units that are tough to lug around.

Two jobs, hot day, first I bid at $300 the second at $200, but did not finish so have to do a 4 hour rental during the week and complete that job. I bid and got jobs for more 20 years ago. All the glory and money goes to the tree services and many of them work out cash deals with customers. I got a call on a log splitting job in Westport, CT, they said they had paid $8000 in green cash to a well known local tree service for take downs, but did not want to pay anything for splitting, offering it as free firewood. So I'm thinking it may be profitable, 10 cords of Norway maple, been sitting for nearly a year, neatly stacked. Has to be split and wheel barrowed out to sell as firewood.