LMI/ATB Woes

Colin

Administrator
So we got our ATB wire caught, again, and ripped off while driving down the road. We run a Terex 4792 23.5 T Boom truck. We have replaced the wire and re-calibrated numerous times, but this time the spool/reel will not put tension on the wire. I believe it is the clutch and spring mechanism inside. One crane tech. company said the fix would cost $2400, replacing the spool.

What other options do we have? I am reluctant to put the same piss poor design back on the truck to have it happen again. Is there a wireless system that does the same as the LMI (we have a Greer Microguard 586)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BigWood

That blows! I've seen an old boss pull into the yard at nite a few times with the reel hanging off.
I've seen a guy with his lmi cable with an eye on the end. When traveling the eye is hooked behind the reel, 1/2 turn away from the sheave head. Wen on site the cable is then un wrapped the 1/2 turn and strung up to the sheave head. Once you get used to it it takes a couple of minutes and doesn't mess with the boom length. You can get a wireless atb but they're more of a pain than they're worth. Nothing like booming down nice an easy and everything coming to a crashing halt cause the wireless atb caught some interference. Running it up the inside takes some engineering, my national has it that way and its quite the mission apparently if he cable does break.

Colin

Administrator
Running the cable thru the boom is not an option right now. Just doesn't seem feasible with the setup we have.

BigWood,I never thought about that with the wireless setup.I was under the impression wireless would solve all this... I like the idea of taking the cable in for transport. I have an idea for a PVC conduit/protective sheath, but want to weigh other options. Its a shame they put such a fragile mechanism on the curb side of the truck...

brushbandit

[ QUOTE ]
bypass it completely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bypassing it disables your LMI and your A2B. If you ever have a crane accident with it disabled you set yourself up for major fines and lawsuits. I never disable any safety features on my equipment for that reason, and also the fact that I want a safe worksite for my employees. I think you have to bite the bullet and replace the reel. I own the same crane and have only broke my cable once.

Colin

Administrator
Bypassing is also not an option being illegal and everything. I grew up running a crane before all the A2B/LMI came into play; so I know I could pull it off just using the load chart, but, that's when OSHA likes to show up....they didn't show up as often back then.

BB, Your municipality must take better care of keeping the trees off the road, because this is at least the third cable we've replaced in the 3 yrs we've owned the crane. My city likes to plant pin oaks right on the road and under wires. Their tree crew is a joke, one bucket guy (bucket or phuk et), and a couple rag tag older guys. To quote one directly: "You gotta come work for the city, man. We don't do ANYTHING..." That or the boss just really can't drive the thing.

So we opened up the reel last night and it seems the recoil spring escaped the pins holding it. Beat it up a bit, but the scientists at our lab were (theoretically) able to get it running again. It was too dark to install after fixing it. Saved us buying a $900 reel assembly, which we searched out instead of replacing all the internals as well.

Next plan is to build a cage around the reel, and some kind of conduit over the first section of boom's a2b cable. We thought about moving the system to the driver's side of the boom, as we have taken our jib off, but just seems to complicated of a task.

brushbandit

[ QUOTE ]
Bypassing is also not an option being illegal and everything. I grew up running a crane before all the A2B/LMI came into play; so I know I could pull it off just using the load chart, but, that's when OSHA likes to show up....they didn't show up as often back then.

BB, Your municipality must take better care of keeping the trees off the road, because this is at least the third cable we've replaced in the 3 yrs we've owned the crane. My city likes to plant pin oaks right on the road and under wires. Their tree crew is a joke, one bucket guy (bucket or phuk et), and a couple rag tag older guys. To quote one directly: "You gotta come work for the city, man. We don't do ANYTHING..." That or the boss just really can't drive the thing.

So we opened up the reel last night and it seems the recoil spring escaped the pins holding it. Beat it up a bit, but the scientists at our lab were (theoretically) able to get it running again. It was too dark to install after fixing it. Saved us buying a $900 reel assembly, which we searched out instead of replacing all the internals as well.

Next plan is to build a cage around the reel, and some kind of conduit over the first section of boom's a2b cable. We thought about moving the system to the driver's side of the boom, as we have taken our jib off, but just seems to complicated of a task.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, I'm glad you were able to fix it. Breaking the A2B cable is no fun. The cable is $300+ and installing it is a PITA, especially getting the tiny little wires back into the slip ring connections

Colin

Administrator
Wow I think our cables are half that....I might be wrong. We've gotten used to installing them. Unfortunately.

All I have to say is that this is primitive technology as it is still only, what?, ten years into being required to have? All the bugs have yet to be worked out, and prices, marked up.

Courierguy

I went with a Crane Smart wireless ATB on my Manitex 22101S, (the stock LMI was in need of 4K min. of repairs and inoperative when I bought it) that and the wireless load cell and a load chart. My annual crane cert guy says I'm covered with OSHA. When I bought my Terex 3470 brand new it came of course with the full blown LMI, pretty nice to have all that info but damn that cable catching on stuff was a PITA! I am the only one running my rig, so yeah it's up to me to USE THE LOAD CHART.

Call the Crane Smart guys, they have real savvy tech help, I'll bet they could integrate to your existing LMI. Have your wallet out, pricey but worth it.

Colin

Administrator
I'm a little confused here.

Is the crane smart just an ATB system? Or does it relay boom length and angle as well? Courierguy, do you ever experience interference in the wireless system, as Bigwood mentioned above?

Courierguy

No interference ever, as far as I know.

Yeah you can get boom angle, length, you name it...I figure it's not that much work to look at the gravity powered angle indicator, and my boom is lettered (A,B, etc) as is my load chart. You can set them up to interact without your existing cut outs, talk to them direct, as mentioned they have great service. Once you get away from the external ATB cable, you will never go back!

I went with a Crane Smart wireless ATB on my Manitex 22101S, (the stock LMI was in need of 4K min. of repairs and inoperative when I bought it) that and the wireless load cell and a load chart. My annual crane cert guy says I'm covered with OSHA. When I bought my Terex 3470 brand new it came of course with the full blown LMI, pretty nice to have all that info but damn that cable catching on stuff was a PITA! I am the only one running my rig, so yeah it's up to me to USE THE LOAD CHART.

Call the Crane Smart guys, they have real savvy tech help, I'll bet they could integrate to your existing LMI. Have your wallet out, pricey but worth it.
mobile lmi.jpg
Weite Technologies Co. Ltd(factory)-Top 3 brand in China. We help protect cranes and lifting equipment under safety working condition with customized WTAU Load Moment Indicator(LMI), Safe Monitoring System, overload limiter, length angle sensor, load cell, anemometers, A2B etc.
"The trusted Safety Partner for Global Top 100 Crane Owning Companies like Tat Hong(Top 9), Asiagroup(Top 45), Big Crane(Top 90) and Fortune 500 corps".
For more, pls refer to http://weite.tech