Live Oak Bark Can Be Challenging To Climb

I haven't climbed a Live Oak with old growth bark on it for a quite some time. Many branches were mossed up and the bark breaks off under my feet and hand holds real easy like when trying to go out on the branches. "Bark rash forearms for me today". lol All I can say is, I was really on my A Game so far as being tied in twice and keeping my triangle better than usual for work positioning!!!!!
I'm thinking now that the pruning is done, home safe, and having a cold one in hand, I can say THAT WAS Fun!
By the way it was 88 deg. with dew points around 75 deg at 70 percent humidity today in my neck of the woods. To sticky for Feb. in Tampa. I like getting in shape for summer work but doggonnnne I not ready yet!!!!

samsquatch

Reminds me of when I pruned a black locust last summer by myself. I was cat-clinging on a swooping 30ft branch, forearms didn't care for the locust bark much..

RBJtree

A couple times a year I get a nice big pin or red oak with a wide spread completely covered in English ivy. Not as bad as moss and ferns, but not nice by any means. I have one on the schedule right now. Ivy branches extending 4 foot out around the entire base for the first 15 feet or so, then every lead completely covered. I have learned to charge a little more because it will take me longer to move around on that stuff. I just picked up a captain hook, should help to triangulate across medium distances or pull myself out onto a big lead where I could usually just walk right out, but the vines make it hard.

A couple times a year I get a nice big pin or red oak with a wide spread completely covered in English ivy. Not as bad as moss and ferns, but not nice by any means. I have one on the schedule right now. Ivy branches extending 4 foot out around the entire base for the first 15 feet or so, then every lead completely covered. I have learned to charge a little more because it will take me longer to move around on that stuff. I just picked up a captain hook, should help to triangulate across medium distances or pull myself out onto a big lead where I could usually just walk right out, but the vines make it hard.
Yes sir!!!!! The Captains hook is a awesome part of kit. It has been a huge help for me on work positioning and gets me out on the branches. I carry it all the time when pruning.

tommyh

I should maybe dig deeper, there may be a thread somewhere, if not maybe I should make one in the gear section, I'll ask anyway. To those of you who have used the Captain Hook, I have so far heard mostly good things. Do-all you who use it like it? And find it to be reliable? ( both for engaging and disengaging)

RBJtree

I should maybe dig deeper, there may be a thread somewhere, if not maybe I should make one in the gear section, I'll ask anyway. To those of you who have used the Captain Hook, I have so far heard mostly good things. Do-all you who use it like it? And find it to be reliable? ( both for engaging and disengaging)
Here is a thread http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/dmm-throw-hook.30556/
I have used it in only one tree so far, a large oak trim. I found it so be extremely helpful. Pretty easy to set, I never got it stuck, but did come close. In my limited experience, I think it will prove to be extremely useful and save me time and energy in certain situations.

colb

It is indispensable for me on pruning climbs with poor central TIPs. It sometimes gets stuck, but I have yet to leave it in a tree. It is also great for dead wooding and several other tasks. Best paired with a foot ascender and progress capture device that can go both directions and has minimal sit back. There is a thread dedicated to it.

The Captains Hook is a awesome part of kit to have! It is great for horizontal traverses and work positioning. it will also help facilitate in getting you at the tips of the branches that you were pruning. Depending on what I’m trying to accomplish, I’ll set up the system a little different. When deadwood or pulling out hangers I’ll tie it on the tale of my SRT main line with a Fisherman Knot. Throw it out to the branch and give it a pull. Works great!

When I’m doing a horizontal traverse that has a easy line angel I set the same knot, but I have a pulley and hitch cord that I tend while pulling myself over. Sometimes I will assist my pullover with a foot ascender. Many times when traversing or branch walking and the branch angle or climbing line angles are hard. I will set up a ascender with a 3 to 1 mechanical advantage. This gives me the strength for hard pull to the tips of the branches.

I will also use the captains hook to hold a branch in place that will not support my weight. I throw it out, tie it off to the trunk or croch close to the truck then I can utilize that weak branch as a tie in point for better work positioning or a redirect.

As for getting it locked in a crotch, I guess I’ve been very lucky because I have not had to physically retrieve it yet. I have got it locked into thick foliage before and had to pull so hard that I broke branches out. You do have to pay attention when throwing it but the learning curve is relatively short. if you do ever have the misfortune of locking it in you won’t do it but a couple of times. You definitely learn when you to employ it, and how to employ it with little practice and thought.

Go to YouTube do a search on the captains hook. There are some awesome videos online.

ClimbMIT

Live Oaks with Fern, vines, dirt, in our humid environment sucks! A 20’ lanyard, 40’ secondary and 120’ primary climb line. PITA. I have been contemplating on the Captain for quite sometime. I may have to pull the trigger in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Live Oaks with Fern, vines, dirt, in our humid environment sucks! A 20’ lanyard, 40’ secondary and 120’ primary climb line. PITA. I have been contemplating on the Captain for quite sometime. I may have to pull the trigger in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep!!!!!!!! I just had to climb another Live Oak yesterday. Many of the branches were asending and swooping downward on the same branch. It was a wild looking tree, kinda like something you would find out in the woods. It was very challenging and it took me a lot longer to do the job than what I thought. I kinda got a little rattled a couple of times and my efficiency went................let’s just say it was a bad day! Learning all the time for me!

I always install my 150’ SRT in the tree on the highest most central leader. I carry up with me a 60’ length of rope that has a leather cambium saver with hitch climbers pulley install on one side. On the other side I have it set up for SRT with a Rope Wrench and hitch climber pulley on it. This set up works well with my style on sprawling oaks. I don’t do removals I only do dead wooding and pruning work. That kind of set up allows me to always be tied in twice for branch access and work positioning. The side of my rope that’s set up for SRT is the side that is used the most. Ican put the captain on it when I need it or, choke off on any spar or branch to sercure a tie in where there’s no crotch or, have a second SRT tie in for short climbs or extra support when needed. Like I said it’s just my style and it works for me in big trees.