Line clearance company standards

Is it common within the line clearance world to have the climbers wear hard hats and not actual climbing helmets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just heard of guys climbing with a regular hard hart with no chin strap and obviously no side or rear impact protection. Does that not defeat the purpose of the helmet itself?

Boomslang

Don't know what the standards are down there, but up here all you need is top impact protection and a class E dielectric rating to work on utility lines. So if you're asking if regular hardhats you'd see guys wearing around construction sites are OK for utility line clearing the answer is yes. As for chinstraps, that's the wearer's personal option, but if your helmet falls off while you're up a tree or in a bucket you're in violation of the labour codes and can be fined.

Does it not make sense, though, to have a helmet that will not fall off in the event of a a fall? That's all I'm getting after.

Boomslang

Absolutely it makes sense, but regular hardhats are much cheaper and meet minimum standards. That all most companies care about.

You can also buy chin straps for hardhats.