Lifetime of hollow braid slings

DaveyJones

How long is everyone keeping their slings in service? Personally, I’ve had mine for over a year now and have done a decent amount of crane work. I made my own after getting about 100’ of tenex in a bag o ropes which I spliced myself. The color has almost completely worn off and I’m wondering if it’s time retire them.

The industry always talks about cycles to failure with rigging gear (shock loading)but considering crane slings only experiencing static loads for the most part how long does everyone keep them in service?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
How many do you have in service?

Could you sacrifice the scruffiest one to break testing?

@yoyoman might be able to break one or find a local rigging shop to do the deed

DaveyJones

I only have three at the moment. I won’t be able to sacrifice any until I get myself some new ones. However that sounds like a great way to retire them!

allmark

I would inspect the fibers. That will tell more info. Cycles to failure is not just for shock loading although shock loading severely affects it.

DaveyJones

They are showing a normal amount of wear. Any sling that’s been in service for a year plus is going to get fuzzy. Considering I haven’t made any pics over 12k with them and there is no concerning picking of any of the strands, I would think they have plenty of life left in them.

I’m just trying to get an idea of how long everyone is keeping theirs in service when they show no signs of damage other then the normal wear and tear.

dbl612

having the knowledge and ability to splice your own slings is good thing. however, in crane work, all lifting gear is supposed to have tags showing capacity and manufacturer. if there is a failure or an injury with your home made gear, with no manufacturer traceability, you are dead meat in the legal world. slings are relatively cheap in the big picture. the risk outweighs the reward in my opinion.

DaveyJones

The hollow braids are definitely getting fuzzy but that happens within the first few times of using them.
Is Dyneema available to purchase in random lengths? I can’t say I’ve seen it for sale on any tree gear sites.

Tony

Follow Nice Guy Dave on Instagram. Just put up some videos of him breaking my 1yr old heavily used but well taken care of 5/8 Tenex slings. Less than stellar results. The stuff is cheap. 1 year max!
I would concur with this. If your slings are getting heavy use, replace them at set intervals. If they haven’t paid for themselves in the first few uses, then you need to adjust your pricing! Equipment replacement is a budget item.

This goes for any gear that gets heavy use and/ or the consequences of failure are unacceptable. You know like your harness bridge, crane slings, climbing line.....