Life in the temperate zone...

Discussion in 'Rant and Rave' started by JeffGu, Nov 21, 2015.

1. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

The animal kingdom goes about its business, rain or shine, with relative impunity and damn little complaining. The human condition, in contrast, is fraught with disaster and laden with misery... with only the occasional bright spots between. Now, you might be inclined to erroneously feel a substantial amount of sympathy for the stray dog or cat that wanders down your street; trust me, those stray dogs, feral cats and dumpster diving possums live a cushy, worry free lifestyle compared to humans. Unless, of course, they happen to live in one of those remote parts of the world where the lingua franca expresses the concepts of "dog", "cat", "road killed possum" and "what's for dinner" all with the same word.

I had to drive thirty-something miles yesterday, to hang a gate on a fence... the last bit of work to finish the job and collect payment. Two miles from the jobsite, it began to rain. Ten minutes into the work, the rain turned to sleet. By the time I finished, it was snowing, blowing hard, and the temperature had dropped from 43F to 31F in an hour. While I was out back, the homeowners had slipped out and were gone. No pay today.

Then, as I packed up to leave, the next door neighbor wanted me to cut another limb off his tree in the front yard. The only saw I had with me was the little Echo CS-271T that I recently bought but hadn't actually had in a tree, yet. But I agreed.

With the air temp slightly below freezing, but the trees and ground being warmer than that, everything was a horrific, slushy mess of stuff that was wet, stuff that was frozen, and stuff that was undecided as to whether it should freeze or merely turn my boots soggy. All three stuck to the rope and mechanicals like bad luck sticks to an arborist. I was miserable. I might have hanged myself with that Aztec rope if my friggin' hands weren't so cold I couldn't tie a granny knot in a rubber band if my life depended on it.

But...

The little Echo tophandle (poor man's MS-150T) started on the first pull and ran like a champ. Cut the whole limb up into firewood for the guy, I was so pleased. Even the 6" diameter stuff didn't give the saw any trouble.

There you have it. One of those occasional bright spots between the disasters and the misery. I charged him forty bucks because I was so happy that little saw didn't fight me when I was in the tree, and because my freakin' brain was frozen into a lump of mush. I mean, really? Forty bucks barely covered the gas the truck used getting up there and back. I blame it all on the miserable human condition, shitty Nebraska weather and the very distinct possibility that I'm an idiot. Hey, but that little saw... :)

2. InTheTree

InTheTree Active Member

Good little story (it's rant & rave for a reason) with my coffee this morning. How convenient the home owner had to rush out just then... ops I forgot I owed you money.
    That's the way though, take something positive out of everything.

TimBr likes this.
  3. oldoakman

oldoakman Well-Known Member

$40 for gas for 60 mile trip? Need to get a new truck, something with eco boost. Gas is $1.76/gal here. That $40 would get me a third of the way to Pennsylvania for some home made pumpkin pie next week! You are right about nebraska though, I have not so fond memories of a trip through there a long time ago.

NE Tree likes this.
  4. NE Tree

NE Tree Well-Known Member

$1.76..... Geez it takes forever for things around here to catch up to the rest of the country. We're still around or just above the $2.00 mark. Nebraska isn't all that bad, but I'm also not a huge fan of big cities or dense populations.

5. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Gas is about $2.15 to $2.25 here. You must keep in mind that my truck will get about 20 mpg on the highway... BUT... there are coffeeshops, donuts, scantily clad college girls and all manner of other distractions between myself and my destination. It's not unusual for me to put 60 miles on the odometer when I'm going someplace 4 blocks away.

treeperson, TimBr and treehumper like this.
  6. oldoakman

oldoakman Well-Known Member

Most places here are around $2.00 to $2.15 or so also. Just a couple stations here that run price wars. Good for me when prices are down' good for them when they are up. With crude bouncing at $40 a barrel things should start getting better.

NE Tree and JeffGu like this.
  7. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Well, winter turned back to summer for a couple of weeks, and now it is back to winter. Cold, wet, icy. But... TOYS!!! I got new toys, so all is well in the universe.

LogSplitter1.JPG

LogSplitter2.JPG
    APTA-1.JPG

8. paul phalloides

paul phalloides Active Member

Thats awesome. I have the 22 ton Huskee splitter, they are great

southsoundtree likes this.
  9. monkeylove

monkeylove Well-Known Member

Is that your only Echo Jeff? I got a 310, 330T and a 590 love them all.

10. NE Tree

NE Tree Well-Known Member

Frank, I noticed a while back you bought a ms150t from Donny. How are you liking it? I thought pretty hard about buying it but had to pass it up.

11. monkeylove

I love it. You can perform open heart surgery with that thing. The other nice thing I have found with it is its use on the ground. Makes a great saw for delimbing stuff ,no chipper :( I also use it alot for felling small trees that I want to use a Palm tree hinge on. Sorry I'm sure thats not whats it's called but I watched a guy using on a palm tree so that is what I call it. Basically it is both H & V cuts with the hinge center cut out so you can drive a wedge in without bottoming out.

NE Tree likes this.
  12. monkeylove

Apparently it is called Tongue and Groove

JeffGu likes this.
  13. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Nope. Have a CS-590 as well. Favorite saw for cutting up on the ground. I like my MS-261C-MQ up in the tree, when things are getting too big for the little saws.
    I think that 590 is the best bang for your buck in that class. But it feels bulky and heavy to me in the tree. I don't even remember if it weighs any more than the 261, but it feels like it does when I've hauled it up in a tree.

TimBr likes this.
  14. monkeylove

I was just debating on something else for in the tree for that exact reason, I also love it on the ground. I looked at the 372 but I think that is overkill in the tree for me. I was thinking maybe a something closer to 50cc would be the better option.

15. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Yup. By the time I'm getting into anything that slows the 261 down, I can usually drop the rest with the 441 and if not, it's only a couple or three cuts to get the rest down if I have to take that thing up. If you're looking at the Stihl saws, ask your dealer if the model is available in the -MQ version (Mtronics + QuickStop). Mine are the MS-261C-MQ and MS-441C-MQ models and that little bit more for the QuickStop feature was every bit worth it. Had to special order the 441 in that version, but got it in 5 days flat.

TimBr likes this.
  16. monkeylove

I know he has the 441 in that version not sure about the 261. Finding any Dealer around here that actually carries all or even a few of the pro models is difficult. I was at 3 others dealers today and none of them had anything but the home or farm versions.

17. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the problem around here, too. The dealer I'm going to now, though, has been a real gem... he'll order anything I want in, and get it in 5-12 days. The last place I was dealing with took 3 to 5 weeks to get stuff in. No idea why there would be such a big difference.

TimBr likes this.
  18. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Ok... good week for chainsaw stuff! My MS-201T is on its way back here from Brad Snelling, and my Miller Mod Saw is on its way here, too. Dolmar PS-7910 with Poleman carb, ported, XD filter, Oiler mod, unlimited coil, blah, blah... and I found a Sugihara 28" Pro Light bar for it, too. Needless to say...

tickled-shitless-chimp.jpg

TimBr likes this.
  19. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Maybe after the holiday season is over, I'll send the MS-261C-MQ to Brad for mods/porting...

20. monkeylove

Jeff, what carrier did you use to ship your saw head with? I think I want to send my 201 & 150 his way.