Let It Run

CutHighnLetFly

Fairleading it. It just always seems to me to be a jerkier less consistent run with a half wrap to me. Maybe less friction is the wrong way to say it. Maybe more like 1 x ring for a terminal rigging point vs 2 or more. I never call for a half wrap. I’ve spent more time in my life as the guy in the tree than the guy with the rope, so i haven’t tested it hundreds of times with me as the ground guy constant. Mostly I’m curious. If everybody says that I’m wrong, no way, half wrap less friction than full wrap, I’m certainly open to being wrap.
Anybody picking up what I’m putting down?
Friction is neat.
Yes. The rope comes out the porti poorly when you take a half wrap. Your almost better taking a full wrap and throwing rope at it at the right time. I've tried but have found no success in using a porti with less than a wrap and getting consistent good rope running

southsoundtree

In my opinion, a half wrap adds more friction than a whole wrap. Any takers?
Seems like the right bends through those spot welds ad a lot of drag, compared to one smooth wrap around the bollard. Something to consider

Do you mean just a half-wrap versus just a whole wrap. I can see this spiralling down the barrel differently and catching into the notch a bit.

I also like to clip a re-direct biner to the top of the POW for less friction than a wrap.

southsoundtree

For a half-wrap weight, you might try a munter on that redirect biner on the top of the POW, if a plain re-direct through the biner is too much. MAYBE clip it through the biner twice to get a round-turn on the re-direct biner for more friction.

Redirect on biner
Round turn on biner
munter on biner
full wrap
wrap and a half

???

TheTreeSpyder

Some nice tips to getting experience and actual handling!
i think another tip to play with / get experience in less critical situations is rigging take down into soft dirt.
>>allow dirt to take about 400# hit from 400-600# log, that ground control just doesn't let accelerate , not really catches full force; can work on that separately!
We have many times had truck pull lift a load back into position to drop again; very helpful to be able to do impossible in real world : have same size, drop, weight,rig and only vary technique and experience over several tries
>>should look to 'harvest' these opportunities when present and quickly play out; shows how relevant this is to groundies to even take time to know!!
In actual use would work to take as much hit as possible off the line; before handing to the system initially
>>pre-tighten (even if to allow controlled run later) as mentioned
>>if any friction points in system (branch not pulley as re-direct etc.) pre-tighten on either side of them and back thru
>>sweat/swig line hard to raise tension in section, then take 'purchase' thru 'bitts' of frictions
>>if overhead rig can hitch load out from cut and use load tipping down to help pre-tighten
>>if rig point under load; make hitch points as close as possible
Inversion of vertical load to rig point under ; if load not too long , can rotate still hinged pretty far, sometimes even re-tighten line some before tear-off of hinge for least rope impact.
For a partial friction redirect, i used to have a large aluminum clevis i ground numbers off (under water not to lose temper); frictional re-direct gives less support loading; aluminum can get hot/dissipates heat very well
>>Climber can help pretighten by hanging on control side (no weight on lifeline as safety catch) and pull up on load side for 2xEffort + weight (x impacts given of each) against load and frictions;
Frictions buffer fighting purchase,but then helping hold any purchases taken!
>>with foot cam can impact leg lift to control side to double (but thru frictions), rather than arm lift to load side
Now, as far as friction force on Porty as a device;
more Turns does give longer frictional path, but this is only the nominal change.
>> the force wants to take the minimal path of least loading : a straight line
>>view as on curve this as a 180 degree wrap, another folds the force back against self in this linear visualization.
So, simple,single Turn is minimal friction against host mount 180degrees; only bight of Turn gets intense contact.
>>vs. RT RoundTurn / Real Turn that has 3 180's and a game changer of force against itself as grips host mount.
>>This is the difference felt educate eye to see; more turns putting stop to even largest loads too easily..
Thus, on a winch, would never have load pulling right on the cable to spool connection
>>Would not even do any real loading pull with a simple Single Turn before cable connection
>>Would prefer not to even trust RT to this
>>Would prefer allow load pull to get thru cable to spool connection after at least Dbl.RT; so no real loaded pull on connection!
Turn passes force w/some reduction, RT is real reducer, Dbl.RT(5 180's or more) can seize easily on many loads/need real loading to relief to not have possibly dangerous sudden impact stop loading

Last edited:

jim454

I didn't read all the responses so forgive me if this has been mentioned. I just just send out a yell, " 8" diameter- 10 footer". Groundy knows what to do, and he does it well.