Legends of real tree men

I read a book or two about the real huskys who performed phenomenal feats of strength in logging before the era of heavy equipment. Sawing down huge trees without chain saws must have taken years of effort to build up to that level of condition. Lincoln as a rail splitter, log splitter, could wield a splitting maul so professionally as not to damage the handle as many of us do. What real stories have you heard relevant to feats of production that put our generation to shame?

TreeCo

They most likely wore out their bodies and paid a high price as they aged.
Tom you seem to be on a theme today. Smarter not harder.

Great flick! my grandfather was a logger and lumberman all this life. He worked in the central Maine area though, not coastal like these guys. Cool to see what it was like for him back then. I've heard plenty of stories of these camps.

Levi.CO

Why are people from the past who worked way harder than necessary to make a tiny bit of profit for themselves while making an enormous profit for a few while destroying the environment and enabling population growth so often glorified? The video is a great document to history but mostly the people working the mills seem like idiots or at best some real sorry s.o.b's! It's like the guys sitting on the beams of the empire state building eating lunch, portrayed as some kind of hero but you know they didn't own a stake in the building, so really they were slaves. Not much different from the majority of modern day tree workers.

PBS had a documentary recently on the circus from before and after PT Barnum and the Ringling bros.; some pretty impressive athletic feats were accomplished but you wonder to what end? When Barnum's circus at one point went up in flames, Emerson asserted that God had finally exacted some justice against all the wantonness of his.

The freak shows, the 90% death of animals pulled out of their native habitat in Africa, turning talented people into showmen....When do we say no to immoral, unethical, inhuman activity?

Last edited:

JD3000

Why are people from the past who worked way harder than necessary to make a tiny bit of profit for themselves while making an enormous profit for a few while destroying the environment and enabling population growth so often glorified? The video is a great document to history but mostly the people working the mills seem like idiots or at best some real sorry s.o.b's! It's like the guys sitting on the beams of the empire state building eating lunch, portrayed as some kind of hero but you know they didn't own a stake in the building, so really they were slaves. Not much different from the majority of modern day tree workers.
Cuz it's about guys doin what they had to do to feed their folks. Lots of 1st generation folks too.

Last edited:
Ok genius, what would you expect them to do to make a living during depression era America? Be a banker? Jump into law or medical school? All of these guys didn't have a pot to piss in so they used what they had- their brains and muscle. I'm very proud of my grandfather as he was the hardest working man I ever knew. He provided for his family doing the only thing he knew and sudsequent generations like mine are better off for it.

"Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die". Apropos motto of those who have opportunity but little real choice in what they do to survive.

How many tree men refuse tree take downs that are unnecessary, like nice robust apple trees customers want taken down, or oak and other hardwoods that have weathered numerous storms that customers want cut down because they are afraid the trees which are 100% sound 'could' topple over on their house? If you don't do it someone else will?

SomethingWitty

I have. Not many, but more than none. I have to walk away from a couple a year because the boss sends us to do a prune and the people insist on telling me where to cut rather than letting me do my job properly. I don't work for the people who own the tree. I am an ambassador on behalf of the tree.

I could also be making 10 dollars an hour more locally if I was a hack and slash production climber. There are very few competent climbers in my market and maybe a handful of us use modern techniques and stay clear of needles. I think I'm the only one who likes climbing enough to not fool with that ownership nonsense (like climbers saying "screw their money. I like this tree" ;)
Nobody can make you do anything. Well, nobody besides you can.

Levi.CO

Ok genius, what would you expect them to do to make a living during depression era America? Be a banker? Jump into law or medical school? All of these guys didn't have a pot to piss in so they used what they had- their brains and muscle. I'm very proud of my grandfather as he was the hardest working man I ever knew. He provided for his family doing the only thing he knew and sudsequent generations like mine are better off for it.
The truth is that american immigrants always have been imported as biomass for the machine to use up. Many of them were tricked into coming here in the first place by agents of american industrialists spreading lies in impoverished euro villages about how great life was in usa.

People say, "immigrants built merica, I'm proud of my granddaddy..." etc etc. Well, all they really did was help create an enormous amount of wealth for a handful of families while helpung to destroy the environment and displace native populations while destroying their own bodies all for some bacon and beans... They got shit out of the deal, not even free health care! Should have stayed in Europe! "A mind that's weak and a back that's strong! Load 16 tons and what do you get?"

Levi.CO

Native people lived in Maine for ages and never felt a need to log the woods.

The average indigenous person labors for 8 hrs a week. Average euro person, well, we all know how much we work.

Working hard for rockefeller and morgan, killing our bodies and wasting our lives.

merican dream is a lie in case no one noticed.