Legends AKA Geezers 2019

SomethingWitty

2.2.28 A competitor is not permitted to place his/her hands on or above the
climbing hitch when it is used to support the full weight of the com-
petitor and is the only means of being secured on a stationary rope
system (static line). The first offense will generate a warning or pen-
alty; a second offense will generate a disqualification. (2018)

Is this enforced?! How do you return from an srt limb walk without grabbing above the hitch?!
You don't limb walk on just a climbing hitch. There should also be a friction device, rope wrench or the like, which would void this stipulation.

Ascending a single line while advancing another rope, using a prussic while placing a redirect, or generally messing around with your system are the only times that I think you might have to abide by that.

oldoakman

You don't limb walk on just a climbing hitch. There should also be a friction device, rope wrench or the like, which would void this stipulation.

Ascending a single line while advancing another rope, using a prussic while placing a redirect, or generally messing around with your system are the only times that I think you might have to abide by that.
Excellent point!

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Yeah, it takes some time to get out of the wheelchair, change the diapers etc, before being climb ready.
-AJ

Keep it up, Moss! Your comments are very Ageist! You might get a time out to sit in the little kids corner

moss

You might be surprised. This is an open comp not an isa sanctioned event.
If I was able to attend I would volunteer, I have zero competition experience and I put my hand above my hitch constantly when my lanyard is configured stationary which is most of the time ;-)

CanadianStan

That rule is aimed at (pre-wrench) straight-hitch SRT ascents with a hand ascender and pantin, for example. It was drilled into the archaic SRT ascent courses because a “panic grab” above the hitch *could* trigger a panic descent. The idea is that you should have setup your descent system below (eg. Petzl Rig) before removing the hitch, which was previously serving as a backup in a traditional frog walker system

It seems to me that it’s simply outdated information still within the rules.

SomethingWitty

If I was able to attend I would volunteer, I have zero competition experience and I put my hand above my hitch constantly when my lanyard is configured stationary which is most of the time ;-)
While free hanging with no other attachment? If you're standing on something then it isn't bearing your full weight.

moss

While free hanging with no other attachment? If you're standing on something then it isn't bearing your full weight.
Thx for the rules clarification! For my climbing style though yes, I do static hangs on my lanyard in certain situations while changing something with my main life support connection. my hand could be above my hitch.
-AJ

SomethingWitty

Okay then.
I don't think that the rule is such a huge deal.

I do think that competing is a blast, and you'd probably be surprised both by how much fun it is and how well you do. Maybe not this one, but you should go compete at one of them. Every climber should.

oldoakman

Okay then.
I don't think that the rule is such a huge deal.

I do think that competing is a blast, and you'd probably be surprised both by how much fun it is and how well you do. Maybe not this one, but you should go compete at one of them. Every climber should.
you are coming right?

SomethingWitty

Yup. My wife volunteered at Tennessee and had so much fun that she insisted on making it out. Several people there said it is always a good event.

I didn't know that Friday was such a big day. I'm stoked about the AR class.