Legends AKA Geezers 2019

rico

Thanks JD, but I already have one of those trophies. I got it the old fashioned way though. I earned it, fair and square!

Last edited:

rico

Rico, I generally dislike people and they dislike me. I hate crowds and am socially awkward, not quite like a serial killer, more like the uber grumpy old guy who is lonely but just acts mad at everyone. I had fun. Ask Paul, if I can have fun, anyone can!!!!
Your comment about the "serial killer" reminded me of a guy I worked with back in the early 80's. Allen was the hook-tender on a big Skyline yarder I was working on. A super scary x-con, covered in tats from head to toe, with chimpanzee like strength, Allen was one of the hardest mofo's and best loggers I have ever worked with. This dude was super human!
He was apparently strung out on speed and steroids, and slowly lost his shit. He ended up killing 6-7 people, dismembering their bodies and burning them in the woods. Last I heard he was doing life in Oregon.

Last edited:

CanadianStan

Your comment about the "serial killer" reminded me of a guy I worked with back in the early 80's. Allen was the hook-tender on a big Skyline yarder I was working on. A super scary x-con, covered in tats from head to toe, with chimpanzee like strength, Allen was one of the hardest mofo's and best loggers I have ever worked with. This dude was super human!
He was apparently strung out on speed and steroids, and slowly lost his shit. He ended up killing 6-7 people, dismembering their bodies and burning them in the woods. Last I heard he was doing life in Oregon.
So have you got his contact info still? We could use another groundie

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back about 25 yrs ago I wanted to learn tree climbing.
A local guy (climber) was on a crew that removed/limbed-out ~ 35 dying trees in the septic field & around my newly purchased house.
Just before I contacted him, he was sent to Jail for Selling drugs.

Several years later, I had more work done at the house.
I was going to contact the lead limber, but heard that while training local tree service recruits, a limb broke out & he broke his back. (I went to visit him in the hospital.)

Postponed ~ 13 yrs.
Rich H. started "coaching" me in 2007.
Much Better Choice ! ! !

Last edited:

oldoakman

I don't know about the lot at RRI but inside sucks! I had people across the hall from my room loud and obnoxious all night both nights last year and they weren't tree people. Us geezers need our rest you know!

oldoakman

Generally follows isa itcc rules. Head to head open ascent replaces individual oa. That event happens Friday evening. All other events as itcc. At least that was how last years event ran. I had a blast!

Steve Connally

Legends 2019 schedule
-1/15 8:15 a.m. setup begins
-1/17 4:30 p.m. setup is complete
-1/18 class schedule-✏
8 a.m.-9:30 a.m.aerial rescue w Steve connally
- break/ meet and greet, 9:30 to 10 a.m.
- 10 a.m. to noon pests, fungus, Tree Health, diagnosis Etc with Stephanie Adams
- 12 to 1 p.m. lunch
- 1 to 2:30 p.m. crane assisted removals and rigging w Carson Smith, Mark moske & Apollo O'Neil
- 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. mandatory volunteer meeting at the town hall building!
- 3:30 to 4 p.m. break
- 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Gear inspection!
- 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. nighttime open ascent
-1/19 Saturday, preliminary events!
- 8 a.m. 4:30 p.m.
- 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. dinner
- 6:30 to 8 p.m. fun & awards ceremony
-1/20 Sunday, Masters challenge
- 9 a.m. to 1:30pm Masters challenge
- 1:30 to 2 p.m. award ceremony
- 2 p.m. till whenever, awkward hugs and Rec climbing❤

Steve Connally

Stephanie's back this year to share her knowledge. Don't miss her class Friday the 18th at Windermere Town Hall from 10 to noon! Stephanie's two hour tree health presentation will cover a wide variety of topics including, but limited to: sudden oak death, Dicamba and metsulfuron-methyl damage, hypoxylon canker, and spotted lanternfly. It will also include hands-on samples, sample collection demonstrations (cankers and roots), and how to run a Phytophthora ELISA ImmunoStrip test.

Steve Connally

Steve Connally brings his knowledge and experience to teach an aerial rescue class this year at LEGENDS! Class begins at 8 a.m. and ends at 9:30 Friday the 18th.
Synopsis:
Everyone under the sun teaches or has taught AR. Whats missing is when, why, why not, how do we assess the victims and how do we start treating them? What requirement is there for first aid? What are the requirements for kits? What if we don’t have kits? What can we use? How can we make things better/worse? How do we integrate into prepping for 911 to arrive? What are the real nuts and bolts because it’s so much more than just getting them to the ground as quickly as possible. AR in our industry is largely mirrored to a comp evolution. In reality there is very little in common. There is no single method to get them down. Each situation dictates how, when, why, and why not. To me this has so much more meaning than showing a new gadget and a quicker method. Done incorrectly we can really make things worse.
BIO: Steve Connally, ISA Cert Arb, CTSP, NCCCO licensed crane operator. Fire Captain , Paramedic . Owner Adaptable Aerial Solutions LLC. Steve’s career as a first responder has spanned almost three decades. He spent 10 years as a member and a supervisor for Norfolk’s Technical Rescue and HAZMAT Team. Steve has been a climbing production arborist for 20 years. He serves as a crane operator for the Crane Climber Safety School, has presented numerous industry training events throughout He’s is also a research climber for the College of William and Mary Center for Conservation Biology Bald Eagle Research Project.

colb

2.2.28 A competitor is not permitted to place his/her hands on or above the
climbing hitch when it is used to support the full weight of the com-
petitor and is the only means of being secured on a stationary rope
system (static line). The first offense will generate a warning or pen-
alty; a second offense will generate a disqualification. (2018)

Is this enforced?! How do you return from an srt limb walk without grabbing above the hitch?!