Leasing my stump grinder

CanaryBoss

Been thinking about finding an operator that wants to take possession of my grinder. Was thinking they could just grind my stumps as payment and use the machine to make their own money with. They would be responsible for maintenance and teeth. I have 1 to 5 stumps 4 days a week to grind

Mowerr

None of ur guys like doin stumps? I know I don't care much to myself but I thought everybody had a guy... Maybe nearing retirement who likes doing them.
Or give the 5 stumps to a guy who's looking for extra hours on Saturday or something.
What your thinking about can be very tricky

CanadianStan

Been thinking about finding an operator that wants to take possession of my grinder. Was thinking they could just grind my stumps as payment and use the machine to make their own money with. They would be responsible for maintenance and teeth. I have 1 to 5 stumps 4 days a week to grind
Hire an employee to run a stump division?

Talon Tree Service

So they grind possibly 15-20 stumps per week for you and your company? And your stumps will take up 4 days a week? That doesn’t leave them much time to do their own work with the grinder, lot of maintence on them too. Less time when you consider they have to find and schedule their own work as well. They could buy their own grinder and make a payment with 2 or 3 days of grinding per month. I enjoy grinding so if I lived close it would be something I would take interest in. Sounds like maybe hiring a sub Contractor and sharing a percentage of profits or hiring an employee strictly for stumps would be a viable option?

CanaryBoss

So they grind possibly 15-20 stumps per week for you and your company? And your stumps will take up 4 days a week? That doesn’t leave them much time to do their own work with the grinder, lot of maintence on them too. Less time when you consider they have to find and schedule their own work as well. They could buy their own grinder and make a payment with 2 or 3 days of grinding per month. I enjoy grinding so if I lived close it would be something I would take interest in. Sounds like maybe hiring a sub Contractor and sharing a percentage of profits or hiring an employee strictly for stumps would be a viable option?
That’s not a viable option. First of all we are talking about between five and 20 stumps per week. 20 is on the very high-end and might only happen once or twice a year. So legitimately maybe 1/2 day twice a week. I cannot sub. Nobody that grinds stumps for a living carries as much insurance as me. So I end up paying the difference. Plus, I ALREADY OWN A GRINDER. I know the difficulties of subbing. I did not start my business with the stump grinder. I used to sub. I don’t want to do it because it does not work for me.

Talon Tree Service

That’s not a viable option. First of all we are talking about between five and 20 stumps per week. 20 is on the very high-end and might only happen once or twice a year. So legitimately maybe 1/2 day twice a week. I cannot sub. Nobody that grinds stumps for a living carries as much insurance as me. So I end up paying the difference. Plus, I ALREADY OWN A GRINDER. I know the difficulties of subbing. I did not start my business with the stump grinder. I used to sub. I don’t want to do it because it does not work for me.
I meant no offense just curious on the logistics of this.
I would think that it would be an alluring option for a retiree or such looking for part time work. I’m one of a select few who would love to run a stump grinder 2 or 3 days a week, but I don’t think many people like stump grinding

CanaryBoss

No offense taken. I agree it’s a great opportunity for someone. If I was offered that option five years ago I would have been all over it. I was hoping to find someone on the forum that was already local or willing to move to take on a less demanding, well paying job. I’ve taken all the risk in buying the grinder. I just need a responsible person to man it. I’ve even got a truck they can use. I just don’t want them as an employee. There is not enough hours for a full time job and I don’t want some person floating from job to job. It’s too logistically challenging.

New2trees

Where are you located? Actually sounds like a relatively stress free (albeit boring) way to make ends meet.

Fivepoints

So if you need to have the stump grinder have a large amount of insurance and you lease it to someone that is not an employee, wouldn't they in fact be a sub that would need their own insurance? Other than owning the grinder, how is this different than you guys having a sub? I'm not trying to be a smartass. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

CanaryBoss

They are automatically covered by my insurance because it is included in the job I have contracted. Do you know how Workmen’s Comp. and liability insurance calculate the amount of money that you pay? They calculate it by the amount of money you pay out. If I don’t pay out I don’t pay more

Fivepoints

My GL is based on gross sales and payroll. Have you talked to your insurance agent about this? I bet it won't fly with them if you have someone who is not an employee or sub with their own insurance operating a piece of dangerous equipment that you own.