Lazy or Clever?

Burrapeg

30' a minute I presume. What happens if you exceed that ascent rate physically/mechanically?
You probably can't easily exceed that. From looking at a drawing of the thing, it appears that rate is reached when the internal brake begins to kick in to control the speed. If pushed beyond that with a faster drill or whatever, you would be fighting the brake unless it were disconnected. The internal brake might be why Santiago's drill got slightly warm; he might have been spinning the Rollgliss right up the point where the brake was trying to engage, thus loading the drill more than necessary.

I mesnt to say 3'/second. That is the max descent rate. I think the drill got warm because of me plus all the gear. The device by its self is probably 20 to 30 lbs. The drill was not as warm as if I was using a hole saw.

Burrapeg

Cool. That means the thing is capable of quite a respectable ascent rate without engaging the brake, if one simply had a heavier duty drill. Well, I just bought one on eBay too! Can't wait to play with it (when the rain stops up here). - Stew

These listings are from the same seller I got mine from. The pelican case is huge and would be great for gear storage. It is such a good value. I did not think this would get so many people interested but I am happy to see it. I can't wait to see what the next person does.

For the drill attachment I used a 16MM socket. I removed the pin from the lifting hub. I drilled the socket to match the pin and attached the socket with an 8/32 not and bolt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dbi-sala-r...-rigging-construction-rappelling/182931328049

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dbi-sala-r...-rigging-construction-rappelling/182933671689

Last edited:

southsoundtree

What is the difference between the two eBay items, aside from the one has a Buy It Now of $199?
@Santiago Casanova / Anyone???

I need a winching rope for my Simpson Capstan winch, which is supposed to use 3/8". Any specifics on that rope?

What are the case dimensions, please?

cerviarborist

I just had a $165.00 bid accepted on the Buy It Now item. $231.57 delivered. FYI. I think there are several more units available on the Buy It Now offering. I'm hoping that the Pelican case will fit my GRCS.

Burrapeg

Mine came today. Wow, that is a lot of rope with it! I have never seen a single coil of rope 450 feet. Nice looking rope too. The hard case with everything in it is almost more than I can easily lift. Maybe 70-75 pounds? It comes up some neat nylon straps, steel carabiners, and a big rigging pulley. Tomorrow I am going to pull the crank wheel off and make up an adapter for my DeWalt cordless drill. Forecast here is for sunshine next 5 or 6 days so I might get a chance to try an ascent with it. Cheers, Stewart

Mine came today. Wow, that is a lot of rope with it! I have never seen a single coil of rope 450 feet. Nice looking rope too. The hard case with everything in it is almost more than I can easily lift. Maybe 70-75 pounds? It comes up some neat nylon straps, steel carabiners, and a big rigging pulley. Tomorrow I am going to pull the crank wheel off and make up an adapter for my DeWalt cordless drill. Forecast here is for sunshine next 5 or 6 days so I might get a chance to try an ascent with it. Cheers, Stewart
Looks like you're happy. The hand crank has a pin that is removed from the side. Then it slides off. Make sure you use the rope brake because if the drill bit pops out of the socket it will descend immediately. I am not sure but I think the weight of the hand crank is part of the speed control. Without it I think it will go faster than 3'/second. Have fun and be careful.

cerviarborist

Looks like you're happy. The hand crank has a pin that is removed from the side. Then it slides off. Make sure you use the rope brake because if the drill bit pops out of the socket it will descend immediately. I am not sure but I think the weight of the hand crank is part of the speed control. Without it I think it will go faster than 3'/second. Have fun and be careful.
I did notice some counter-weights in the hand crank assembly. I'll have to see whether a strategically placed hole-saw hole might expose the hub nut, while allowing the handle assembly to stay on the unit, so that I can have my cake, and eat it too.

Burrapeg

I think I would use it with an ascender or grab above it like the Wraptors use, with a safety strap past it down to the saddle bridge.

In looking at this thing, I see the rope is captive in the unit and not easily removable. I wonder if it could be modified to make it mid-line attachable? Even if not, it seems like one could ascend with it then leave it hang there in place while you use the long tail of the rope to advance the tip, redirect, etc. and work the tree. That is, not use a separate climbing line. The stuff that comes with it looks great, some sort of expensive kermantle and there is certainly a LOT of it.