Lat. Long. equation of time, and the solar compass

surveyor

There is a remarkable instrument developed by a surveyor named William Austin Burt, patented in 1836, which was able to determine astronomical north from the passage of the sun, called a solar compass. It built upon the determination of longitude, using the equation of time developed with an Ephemeris. It is my understanding that he also made a prototypical typewriter also to aid in his survey maps. here are two videos that demonstrate both concepts about the solar compass.

JeffGu

Solar compass schmumpass... they make lousy multicenders. But if somebody was to leave a BDB in a geocache in the remote wilderness, and your GPS was on the blink, you could whip out your 40 pound solar compass and home right in on it!

I don't recall ever seeing a solar compass at a garage sale or a flea market, however. Burglarizing museums seems a bit risky.

surveyor

I would love to own one, but they are very rare and expensive (like the Bone : ). I tried to make a solar compass attachment on one of my old total stations, with only limited success. You can however, with a solar filter, sight the limb of the sun , and knowing your lat., and making a note of the precise time of observation, with the aid of an Ephemeris table, determine astronomical north.

http://www.cadastral.com/2013jan.htm