Large Tree Spraying

Sep

I've been doing IPM work with a small sprayer, and have decided that a need a larger spray rig. I've been looking around in the trade magazines and I see alot of used John Bean spray rigs. What problems should I be looking for in these? If I buy a new spray rig, how should I set it up? I will be still be doing IPM style work, but want a pump with enough power to get good coverage on larger tree's. Who builds these sprayer units and supplies the parts for the pumps? Any help in the right direction would be really helpful.

Thanks Sep

professor

Sep,

I just got a custom rig from Sherril, You can get one made to your specs. I use it for IPM and has a 40 GPM pump that will get me to 80', need it for gypsy moth spraying.
Think TCI magazine had a recent issue about sprayers. PTO drive, not gas engines blaring. I have 3 hoses, 4 tanks,
400,300,100& 50. Mainly use the 2 smaller ones. They will have one in the Balitimore show this fall. They do have a 40 GPM that will get up to 100'. I try to avoid spray large trees, but bugs keep me busy.

Professor

KCGuy

Sep,
We use Beans, 35gpm, 3/4" hose, and can get over 100' (with large orifices... 18's or so).
The money is in the tank and engine. You can take a pretty trashed out pump, and for less than $1000 make it like new.
Being able to spray large trees separates you from the lawn guys who have a "tree" rig.

professor

Sep,

There so much out there in rigs & pump. I started with Beam & Meyers. They're easy to rebuild like KC said. What type of insects are your looking to control.