Kretzschmaria...death sentence...?

byacek

Hi Arbor folks,
I am caring for several large European Beech trees. One is a fernleaf variety and the other is a cultivar of F. sylvatica 'Purple Rivers'. Both trees have a DBH of over 6 ft and heights over 100 ft. At the base of one of these enormous trees kretzschmaria deusta has been detected and verified via pathology lab. I have been researching treatments to slow the progression of this decay fungus and would love some input if you have experience dealing with a similar situation.

Treatment Strategy 1
Using trichoderma spp. for biological treatment of k. deutsa (and other pathogenic fungi). As i understand it the trichoderma acts as a mycoparasite and also posesses antibiotic properties which (in a nutshell) stops the pathogens progress. After this initial benefit the trichoderma then out-competes the pathogen eventually overtaking its niche and inoculating surrounding soil to perpetuate this relationship. A product I am considering is RootShield® Plus – WP which contains Trichoderma harzianum Rifai strain T-22 & Trichoderma virens G-41. Is this treatment is worth trying or does someone have any other recommendations?

Treatment Strategy 2
Apply broad spectrum fgungicide
Agri-Fos (a Mono – and di- potassium salts of phosphorous acid based fungicide) can be effective when mixed with a bark penetrant such as Pentra-Bark®. Again, any expertise you folks could share on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Best,
byacke aka Happy Valley Lorax

JD3000

Perhaps start with the phosphite and then follow up with the trichoderma later? Worth a shot?

Just found a 6' sycamore with the same problem too.

JD3000

I would also want to see the infection sites to see if any cultural or mechanical practices may help in those areas.

Reactions: ATH

JD3000

Heres a 6-7' sycamore with probable Kretzschmaria. Note the rotting stump of a hackberry that I just cut a good sized sprout out of. Looks like a well-meaning person cut the original tree out and hit the sycamore which provided an entry point for decay.

Going to clean up this area and hit with a phosphite. What the Hell, right?
20180719_105346.jpg