Kretzschmaria...death sentence...?

byacek

Hi Arbor folks,
I am caring for several large European Beech trees. One is a fernleaf variety and the other is a cultivar of F. sylvatica 'Purple Rivers'. Both trees have a DBH of over 6 ft and heights over 100 ft. At the base of one of these enormous trees kretzschmaria deusta has been detected and verified via pathology lab. I have been researching treatments to slow the progression of this decay fungus and would love some input if you have experience dealing with a similar situation.

Treatment Strategy 1
Using trichoderma spp. for biological treatment of k. deutsa (and other pathogenic fungi). As i understand it the trichoderma acts as a mycoparasite and also posesses antibiotic properties which (in a nutshell) stops the pathogens progress. After this initial benefit the trichoderma then out-competes the pathogen eventually overtaking its niche and inoculating surrounding soil to perpetuate this relationship. A product I am considering is RootShield® Plus – WP which contains Trichoderma harzianum Rifai strain T-22 & Trichoderma virens G-41. Is this treatment is worth trying or does someone have any other recommendations?

Treatment Strategy 2
Apply broad spectrum fgungicide
Agri-Fos (a Mono – and di- potassium salts of phosphorous acid based fungicide) can be effective when mixed with a bark penetrant such as Pentra-Bark®. Again, any expertise you folks could share on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Best,
byacke aka Happy Valley Lorax

JD3000

Most well-known member
Perhaps start with the phosphite and then follow up with the trichoderma later? Worth a shot?

Just found a 6' sycamore with the same problem too.

JD3000

Most well-known member
I would also want to see the infection sites to see if any cultural or mechanical practices may help in those areas.

Reactions: ATH

JD3000

Most well-known member
Heres a 6-7' sycamore with probable Kretzschmaria. Note the rotting stump of a hackberry that I just cut a good sized sprout out of. Looks like a well-meaning person cut the original tree out and hit the sycamore which provided an entry point for decay.

Going to clean up this area and hit with a phosphite. What the Hell, right?
20180719_105346.jpg

Nish

Heres a 6-7' sycamore with probable Kretzschmaria. Note the rotting stump of a hackberry that I just cut a good sized sprout out of. Looks like a well-meaning person cut the original tree out and hit the sycamore which provided an entry point for decay.

Going to clean up this area and hit with a phosphite. What the Hell, right?
View attachment 52922
Any good results from phosphorous acid on K. deusta? (I just read an article mentioning, in passing, that it wasn't effective. Any results with trichoderma?

Nish

Please pass on any good articles too. I'd love to learn more about the options, especially when all we see is a little spot of K. deusta on a large tree. I'm also curious to know of anyone using Trichoderma or RootShield Plus.

Chaplain242

Alternative option may be worth a try, sorry don’t know how to ref individual posts, but have used Clove Leaf Oil to treat Ganoderma effectively, so may be worth a try on this...

JD3000

Most well-known member
Schwarze was supposed to be working on a Trichoderma product. I should probably look into it again.