Knee ascender without a bungee

RopeShield

No exit plan? srt
Trapped! Injury, death what you gonna do?
Two system
One fails, flow to your back up
Go home - have your fun

fall_risk

No exit plan? srt
Trapped! Injury, death what you gonna do?
Two system
One fails, flow to your back up
Go home - have your fun
I don't necessarily disagree with you on the merits, DRT/double SRS, double crotching with DdRT, they're mos def useful. Kevin Bingham himself said in an interview I watched or heard that he's on dual SRS systems full time now. I use two systems very often, frequently one SRS and one (usually shorter) MRS. It's definitely worth thinking about, especially for big/hazardous/spready/sketchy species/no center lead/previously topped/etc type stuff. It's also worth thinking about because I REALLY don't want to be REQUIRED to use two systems to prune a redbud or a crape myrtle, or to block down. I'm already using my lanyard whenever I'm cutting, and I think sometimes that's enough.

However, it's not really germane to the topic at hand. I, for one, would not trust any rope walking system out there to keep me safe, even as a backup, especially anything toothed, even if it's not going to invert me. If something goes sideways on me in a tree, there's little to no chance that it won't involve dynamic loading, even if just from an uncontrolled swing. The last thing I want on my lifeline in that case is a toothed ascender.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

moss

knee ascender will cause you tremendous grief when it hooks up:loco: gets in the way when you need to leg/knee up on branches or wood and it crucnches your tissue
plus a handle ascender and loops/tether is damn handy to hold a rope, tension a rig or cable etc
plus the most and least talked about importance of this is when shit goes wrong it is going to hold you upright/rated safety
You know what you know but truth is srt on a foot and knee is stupid without a back up system
How many die or are severely injuried every year. Just thikn about before you respond.
Not looking to argue the points just open a though process for safe climbs/life
Hanging upside down on a foot ascender would suck but is the lesser of the hazards we face. We all have our favorite things to be worried about and our favorite ways of configuring our climbing systems, fair enough to tout the one that works best for you.

As I ascended on my simple SAKA Mini imitation knee ascender in 90 degree temps yesterday I was thinking "I'd be going nowhere right now if if the knee ascender wasn't in the mix!" I also know that if I was doing a plus 150' rope ascent on a tall PNW conifer I'd be on a ropewalker with a chest ascender/Croll setup. The right setup for the situation.
-AJ

moss

Back to Climbing Arborist's original post/video... excellent innovation, solid system. My main problem is the limited stride, I like a bigger step for my work climbing which I can take with my knee ascender setup. He mentioned that so no surprise criticism there. It was funny when Climbing Arborist briefly demonstrated his knee ascender with DdRT, Whoa! Got to move the feet fast with the small step and 2:1 rope movement ;-)
-AJ

moss

Thought ya'll might enjoy this, my stupidly simple SRT ascent system from years back when my left shoulder was out of commission for a couple months, hitch down low, handled ascender with long foot loop above the chest roller, was too easy to ascend.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Hanging upside down on a foot ascender would suck but is the lesser of the hazards we face. We all have our favorite things to be worried about and our favorite ways of configuring our climbing systems, fair enough to tout the one that works best for you.

As I ascended on my simple SAKA Mini imitation knee ascender in 90 degree temps yesterday I was thinking "I'd be going nowhere right now if if the knee ascender wasn't in the mix!" I also know that if I was doing a plus 150' rope ascent on a tall PNW conifer I'd be on a ropewalker with a chest ascender/Croll setup. The right setup for the situation.
-AJ
This I can agree with. I do relatively short ascents here. 80' max. So saying that I agree with this.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Back to Climbing Arborist's original post/video... excellent innovation, solid system. My main problem is the limited stride, I like a bigger step for my work climbing which I can take with my knee ascender setup. He mentioned that so no surprise criticism there. It was funny when Climbing Arborist briefly demonstrated his knee ascender with DdRT, Whoa! Got to move the feet fast with the small step and 2:1 rope movement ;-)
-AJ
I been there and tried this. It is very restrictive and will fuck your kness up fast. It makes one do movements that are not natural. Puts one's knees anf hips in a cramped position. Give me my bungee please and thanks.

Burrapeg

Thought ya'll might enjoy this, my stupidly simple SRT ascent system from years back when my left shoulder was out of commission for a couple months, hitch down low, handled ascender with long foot loop above the chest roller, was too easy to ascend.
Love my PMI chest roller! I have the double roller and use it with my BDB riding on top of it to advance, with both the rope and the BDB tether thru both sides of the roller. With a SAKA on the left foot and short MiniSAKA on right foot, it all makes for almost hands-free ascending.

COtreerat

I been there and tried this. It is very restrictive and will fuck your kness up fast. It makes one do movements that are not natural. Puts one's knees anf hips in a cramped position. Give me my bungee please and thanks.
It also literally takes seconds to remove the knee ascender when the TIP is reached. I have found that in my neck of the woods I only utilize the Haas for the initial ascent. For the shorter ascents during the climb I just use my foot ascender
makes sense, agreed. I have found that I really only utilize my Haas for the initial ascent to my TIP. The knee ascender takes seconds to take on and off. Typically for shorter ascents I run into during the climb I can just use my foot ascender.

rico

Yo Moss, tell me about the Tengue saddle. Do you use it as a work saddle or just for rec climbs? Always liked the look of that saddle but never had the chance to fly one.

CutHighnLetFly

I thought the set up on the video looked cumbersome till he put it on. This makes a lot of sense to me. I kinda really like it to be honest. I mean you leg scabbard handsaw guys, this has your name all over it

climbstihl

I thought the set up on the video looked cumbersome till he put it on. This makes a lot of sense to me. I kinda really like it to be honest. I mean you leg scabbard handsaw guys, this has your name all over it
I love my silky on my leg, but that doesn't have to follow the ropes path. I don't think that a knee mounted ascender will be very ergonomic.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I love my silky on my leg, but that doesn't have to follow the ropes path. I don't think that a knee mounted ascender will be very ergonomic.
Fuck I used one for 6 months. It is horrible. I can make a better ine than that shite in the vid by far. That gives better stride. But it just is not natural. It will fuck your knees up.

moss

Yo Moss, tell me about the Tengue saddle. Do you use it as a work saddle or just for rec climbs? Always liked the look of that saddle but never had the chance to fly one.
I haven’t climbed in it since roughly 2010. I had New Tribe mod it so it has a perfect front to back hang angle for me. The downside of it is no rope or webbing bridge so if a climber is used to that they’ll feel constrained. Otherwise... great saddle.
-AJ

Burrapeg

I haven’t climbed in it since roughly 2010. I had New Tribe mod it so it has a perfect front to back hang angle for me. The downside of it is no rope or webbing bridge so if a climber is used to that they’ll feel constrained. Otherwise... great saddle.
-AJ
What exactly were the mods, AJ? I am still fine tuning my New Tribe Yellow Jacket for balance and any insight is welcome. (I don't see the Yellow Jacket for sale any longer - no doubt discontinued now. Nice light-weight saddle however).