Knee ascender without a bungee

RyTheTreeGuy

Regardless of industry progression and innovation are the building blocks of success. I believe that this is the next step in the progression of the knee ascender. The ability to leave the ascender on during work may change your approach and improve overall efficiency. Its a great time to be a part of this industry. Thank you to all who have innovated and contributed to the growth of the tree climbing and working industry. Cheers

Bango Skank

I played with a homemade one with a Velcro strap like that. I abandoned it because after a few steps it would pull down and eventually end up around my ankle. Maybe a Velcro strap with some elastic to it but I think the Petzl croll ascender springs closed a tad harder than I’d prefer and causes a little drag.

misfit

The principle of this idea has been around for years, and there are other threads that talk about it. Here is a link to my own personal solution which I described in response to an earlier thread:

RopeShield

Fooled with this style twice and it just didn't work well-jam on bridge, leg rub, get in the way blah blah. Hated it. there is pics and talks about it here if you search..
Prefer a hand ascender tethered to sternum and to foot loop. easier to go wide with stance and stand in the tree. can't climb a tree with this set up but ok when just on rope. Like having your boot laces tied together, trips you up, one trick pony imho

Last edited:

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Fooled with this style twice and it just didn't work well-jam on bridge, leg rub, get in the way blah blah. Hated it. there is pics and talks about it here if you search..
Prefer a hand ascender tethered to sternum and to foot loop. easier to go wide with stance and stand in the tree. can't climb a tree with this set up but ok when just on rope. Like having your boot laces tied together, trips you up, one trick pony imho
We rarely agree one hundred percent.
That being said, you are the only person in the last couple of years that has so clearly articulated my position on knee ascenders.
They are just not as good at doing work as a frog walker.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
We rarely agree one hundred percent.
That being said, you are the only person in the last couple of years that has so clearly articulated my position on knee ascenders.
They are just not as good at doing work as a frog walker.
Who the fuck wants to do work with a knee ascender on. Handled ascenders are so old school. Do not see anyone using them anymore at comps. That speaks volumes.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
At NAOM last month I was in the top third of the ascent times running the only frogwalker, and I'm not really that good at ascent.
19 seconds at 67 feet.
Missing the point, the simplicity of the knee ascender is bar none. Next it really is the future. And again nice run on that dinasaur frog walker....no way will I ever go back to that. SAKA for life.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
2015....did an arb show in UK where Jo did a SRT exibition. Built this right after with one mod. Elastic on ascender so it would keep knee slightly off rope. Worked better for me. Nice device. 2019-07-09 11.06.15.png

fall_risk

I don't really have an opinion on Dan's (erm...) strap-on, I watched the video and it looks like it works fine for him. Plus, he's a good climber, I know he at least competes, and I believe I remember hearing about him doing well in the competitions, AND he has provided a wonderful service to the community with his website/videos/podcast, so when he talks, I'll at least listen. Having said that, it looks like a solution in search of a problem to me. I wear my knee ascender (SAKA in my personal kit and velox provided by my primary employer) all the time, throughout every climb, ready to go. It is so freaking efficient. I don't understand why other climbers ever even stow it, let alone send it down.

I am personally faster on ascent with a frog walker, but that you do have to stow between uses. It's not worth the marginal increase in speed to have to pull it on and off the rope, for me. Having a rope walking system ready to use at all times means that I use it more often, which saves my body. The only change I'm considering is from elastic-based to recoil-based, but if I can't leave that on while I climb, I'll be right back to SAKA/HAAS-style.

I can see how, if you're stowing whatever system you use between pitches, how you'd prefer the faster frog, but I feel so much better in the evening with the always-on SAKA/HAAS dragging my fat ass around that I don't see myself changing until the Ronin is the size of a paperback, 8 times as fast, and lasts 12 hours. That or I make more progress on my army of lightsaber-wielding squirrels. YMMV.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

fall_risk

Watching this, I noticed the same thing as in Dan's video: this design limits the size of the step you can take. I'm sure many will disagree, but for production work, I consider this a feature, not a bug. That is also more efficient and ergonomic for the long haul. Probably not the best for open ascent, but open ascent isn't tree work, it's tree fun.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I don't really have an opinion on Dan's (erm...) strap-on, I watched the video and it looks like it works fine for him. Plus, he's a good climber, I know he at least competes, and I believe I remember hearing about him doing well in the competitions, AND he has provided a wonderful service to the community with his website/videos/podcast, so when he talks, I'll at least listen. Having said that, it looks like a solution in search of a problem to me. I wear my knee ascender (SAKA in my personal kit and velox provided by my primary employer) all the time, throughout every climb, ready to go. It is so freaking efficient. I don't understand why other climbers ever even stow it, let alone send it down.

I am personally faster on ascent with a frog walker, but that you do have to stow between uses. It's not worth the marginal increase in speed to have to pull it on and off the rope, for me. Having a rope walking system ready to use at all times means that I use it more often, which saves my body. The only change I'm considering is from elastic-based to recoil-based, but if I can't leave that on while I climb, I'll be right back to SAKA/HAAS-style.

I can see how, if you're stowing whatever system you use between pitches, how you'd prefer the faster frog, but I feel so much better in the evening with the always-on SAKA/HAAS dragging my fat ass around that I don't see myself changing until the Ronin is the size of a paperback, 8 times as fast, and lasts 12 hours. That or I make more progress on my army of lightsaber-wielding squirrels. YMMV.

The foot loop is only pulled out for long ascents.
The hand ascender is quick access and then I peg-leg everywhere with a foot for guidance/climbing the tree as it is convenient.
Pulling yourself around while grabbing tiny rope is hard on your hands. My positioning is less damaging because of my double hand ascender.

RopeShield

knee ascender will cause you tremendous grief when it hooks up:loco: gets in the way when you need to leg/knee up on branches or wood and it crucnches your tissue
plus a handle ascender and loops/tether is damn handy to hold a rope, tension a rig or cable etc
plus the most and least talked about importance of this is when shit goes wrong it is going to hold you upright/rated safety
You know what you know but truth is srt on a foot and knee is stupid without a back up system
How many die or are severely injuried every year. Just thikn about before you respond.
Not looking to argue the points just open a though process for safe climbs/life