knee ascender OR1 Stiff left step w/ adujustable riser opinions

Crimsonking

I should have mentioned that I was waiting to pull the trigger on a saka (which is a very nice tool that I was able to borrow from a friend for a few climbs) when someone showed me their homemade version. I then picked up a cheap cam off of amazon and have been quite happy with it.

Steve Baker

I should have mentioned that I was waiting to pull the trigger on a saka (which is a very nice tool that I was able to borrow from a friend for a few climbs) when someone showed me their homemade version. I then picked up a cheap cam off of amazon and have been quite happy with it.
Could you post a pic of your setup? I currently have the saka and like it a lot but its just too bulky on the harness.

Crimsonking

I will be getting my gear this afternoon, and will post a pic then. Are you able to post a pic of your saddle in its normal setup? I had a couple ideas for stowing your saka.

Worthaug

Could you post a pic of your setup? I currently have the saka and like it a lot but its just too bulky on the harness.
Is there a way to just keep it on? My haas usually stays on during the duration of a prune, by clipping it to my leg loop or wrapping the bungee around my shin. Or, it folds up nicely and doesn't take up too much room on the saddle.

Reed Wortley
CTSP #01739
ISA CA #SO-6953A

Steve Baker

I will be getting my gear this afternoon, and will post a pic then. Are you able to post a pic of your saddle in its normal setup? I had a couple ideas for stowing your saka.
I like the idea of making a saka with a small ropeman ascender and some bungee. I like stuff light and small.
image.jpg

Crimsonking

My signal at the house it not strong enough for uploading. I'll send them in the morning.

A thought on the ropeman ascender- it will add more play in your step than other ascenders. I recommend either a chest or basic ascender (like petzl's or dmm's). The basics are slimmer than chest ascenders by eliminating the somewhat pointed side that can catch on your pants. Either of these, while larger than the ropeman, won't rock when loaded.

Boomslang

I chose the ropeman for a few reasons:

1. It's cheap
2. It's less agressive on the rope
3. It's cheap
4. Did I mention it's cheap
5. It's half the price of the other ascenders mentioned

I'm not necessarily looking for the best, most efficient ascender. I just want something that gets the job done at a reasonable price.

yoyoman

thats a nice little setup!

yeah for me 100+ USD for a strap/footloop and a bungie, all of which isn't life support is a bit overwhelming.
The SAKA is 100+ for sure, comes with, CT ascender, Dyneema bungee that I have costume made (breaks at about 400 pounds in the doubled configuration, 2 Metolius FS Mini II Carabiners rated at 22kN, custom sewn foot-loop, custom webbing body assembly. It takes time and expensive industrial sewing machines to make each one.

I wish I could do it for less, I have tried to make it as reasonable as possible. I do support DYI.

Here are a few thoughts...
Home owners might say the same about the cost of tree care and share a like mind with DIY.
Retailers work hard for their percentage.
I often here how a knee ascender only saves seconds but then guys not using one, have lunch and everything else sent up to them.
Time is money.

Steve Baker

I chose the ropeman for a few reasons:

1. It's cheap
2. It's less agressive on the rope
3. It's cheap
4. Did I mention it's cheap
5. It's half the price of the other ascenders mentioned

I'm not necessarily looking for the best, most efficient ascender. I just want something that gets the job done at a reasonable price.
I really like that idea. Which ropeman did you end up using. It appears the new one ( ropeman 2) has more teeth and more jagged teeth at that, which I don't really like. Which one would you recommend using to build one? And do you have a pic of that setup? I'm having trouble visualising how to attach to the top and bottom of the ropeman. I'm thinking a small petzl ange on top and bottom would work but maybe those are too big.

Boomslang

I really like that idea. Which ropeman did you end up using. It appears the new one ( ropeman 2) has more teeth and more jagged teeth at that, which I don't really like. Which one would you recommend using to build one? And do you have a pic of that setup? I'm having trouble visualising how to attach to the top and bottom of the ropeman. I'm thinking a small petzl ange on top and bottom would work but maybe those are too big.
I use a Ropeman 1, which has ridges, rather than teeth: http://www.wildcountry.com/en/ropeman-1

You could really use either one, I just feel the 1 is less aggressive on rope than a bunch of pointy teeth.

Here's a pic of my setup and explanation of material....
Old backpack strap for the footloop, piece of Pex pipe for the "tether", Ropeman 1 for the ascender attached with a DMM XSRE biner, and some bulk 1/4" bungee cord with a boat snap.

View attachment 35794

Takes a little longer to clip in and clip out of than the name brand stuff and may not be quite as efficient, but it gets the job done. And for ~$50 worth of material it's a real wallet saver. Sure the Pex pipe may break, or the strap will wear out, but they are dollar store fixes. The expensive components (Ropeman and DMM biner) will last forever and it's so easy to swap everything out. Paying $150 for something that will be used less than a minute per tree just seemed like a waste to me.
There was a small loop on the foot strap, which I attached to the pipe with a bolt (literally the hardest thing involved with the build; had to get it just right so the footloop didn't flop around). The bungee is girthed around the bottom of the DMM biner. It's effective, but if I had to do it again I would extend the bungee down the pipe and anchor it near the bottom to give it a little more sproing (is that a word?). The XSRE is tight in the pex pipe so there's no flop in the biner. If you had to you could use this thing without the bungee and push it up with your foot, but it's kinda awkward and your foot positioning has to be dead on.

Takes about 5 minutes to build. Like I said earlier a little longer to clip in and clip out, but it does what I need it to do and everything is easily replaceable for little money or time.

JeffGu

Of course it is! It's that sound those springy doorstops make when your cat or children sit behind the door flicking the damn thing over and over...

Estebandito

I bought yoyo man's SAKA a few months back. For me it was worth it. I am using it for DdRT also. Very helpful for a non everyday climber like myself. Well put together and nice and jumpy with minimal adjustment needed.

jami5490

The SAKA is 100+ for sure, comes with, CT ascender, Dyneema bungee that I have costume made (breaks at about 400 pounds in the doubled configuration, 2 Metolius FS Mini II Carabiners rated at 22kN, custom sewn foot-loop, custom webbing body assembly. It takes time and expensive industrial sewing machines to make each one.
The SAKA is a well designed product, I would chose it over the competition.
it appears the new HAAS has a couple new features, along with an even higher price tag.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15681#detail
Dmm ascender with extra holes, can use it for a 3:1 in the canopy. Simple webbing foot loop and advance by hand loop.
I think I will build something like this with a bungee. great idea!
Hi Jamie good to see you buzzin and In the trees
This works well.
Imo Knee ascenders don't progress aswell as hand ascender to foot loop for my technique.
I prefer sternal croll, hand ascender and foot ascender for long ascents.
Take care
impressive, did you stitch that yourself?