Ive got gas

RGus

I recently got my first chainsaw, and fill it up with regular gas. I was just wondering what gas y'all fill your saws up with? Do you find certain gas works better in your saws? /forum/images/graemlins/hot.gif

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
I've been around chainsaws for over 30 years and had always used the cheapest gas available with no problems. A couple of years ago I talked with a rep from Jonsered about gas. He said that the gas we get now isn't as stable as years past. The suggestion from him was to use premium and not keep any gas around for more than 30 days. Since so little saw gas is used the cost is less than negligible.

Treespotter

Ryan,

A few years ago I started using Stihl Motomix.
One of the salestalk lines of Stihl is that carpetrol has (for living greatures (and I am one)) very toxic additives. I don't know if it is the correct English but Benzeen is one of them. All these additives have to make sure that the engine runs nice and that the valves are being lubricated.
That's nice in a 4 stroke petrol engine with the exhaust at the back of the vehicle, but a two stroke engine dousn't need them and you are on top of the exhaust with your nose.

Here are my salestalk lines (bare in mind that I am NOT a reseller of the stuff).
It is premixed, so you or your coworkers can't make any mistakes doing it yourself.
The toxic fumes that you inhale are (much)less.
In the arborists middleages we cleaned the old treecavity's with the tip of the chainsaw and after a few hours in those nice smelling /forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif fumes you started to get a heavy headache.
It's not only you that gets to live in those fumes but the rest if the world as well.

My headache is over and I don't put benzeen in the world when not using my handsaw.

It's more expensive, but I think that's my insurance for my old age.

Wolter

My edit:

I saw this in Tom's reply:
[ QUOTE ]
The suggestion from him was to use premium and not keep any gas around for more than 30 days.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you can keep the Motomix for over two years.

Mangoes

As far as octane levels, saws run at very high compression. When you use lower grade fuel there is potential for the fuel to ignite prematurely strictly from compression. As a result you will get low power, piston scoring, and a poor burn.

Treespotter

You are right Mangoes and I don't know how they have tackled that problem at the brewery of Stihl.
My newest MS 200 is three years old and isn't running like sunshine but that is becours I didn't take the time to do some quality time with it ajusting the bugger.

Wolter

Mangoes

I like the idea behind the product, fits well with my business principles. I checked Stihl's Canadian web page yesterday and the showed the stuff. So then I called 3 local Stihl dealers yesterday and ABSOLUTELY confounded them! They didn't know what I was talking about. So then I called Stihl Canada and spoke with a guy that said there was nothing like that available in NA. Bummer! Wonder what the cost would be to ship it?

Treespotter

Svein, skip the Stihl vegi oil. Don't forget there are stil some additives in it.
If the Swedish people prepare their dishes the same way that the Norwegians do than there is an alternitive for you (in holland you can't buy the product in the supermarked).

On my way home to Holland I stop by at Willy's (big supermarked in Helsingborg) and buy a carboot full of Rapsoil. Chainsaws love it and so do I. It's cheaper and you can't find a cleaner product.

Wolter

R_Schra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Als antwoord op:</font><hr />

On my way home to Holland I stop by at Willy's (big supermarked in Helsingborg) and buy a carboot full of Rapsoil. Chainsaws love it and so do I. It's cheaper and you can't find a cleaner product.

Wolter

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Wolter,

I used to run that old 1600TD VW bus on veggie oil..... An idea to run that T5 of you on veggie to? (i believe those new engines are able to be modified for veggie use) You got what engine? 4 or 5 cilinder? Hp? (its not a 175Hp 4Motion with seikel offroad gear i believe /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Treespotter

Oooo Ronald, you slamdunked on e painfull spot (did it give you the right impression of how i feel?:).
I ordered mine in september 2003. At that time 4 motion was not available, so I have to limp to my work for another four years.
I was lucky with the sales of my old T4 becouse of the double cabin I have and the 36% VAT deduction bann that was not in place at that time. I now have to wait an extra year i think, selling this one in a stabilized marked.

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/newvans_s.asp?id=4450

The vegi oil and my 132 bhp engine is not the problem. I can't use vegi oil becouse of the extra heating I have installed. But the press on the button of the remote control, when I am naked in the kitchen, putting the coffee on in the morning and leaving the house 15 minutes later, getting into an defrosted T5 makes me forget the vegi oil problem and the lack of 4 motion.

Wolter

R_Schra

Oooo Ronald, you slamdunked on e painfull spot (did it give you the right impression of how i feel?:).

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHAHA, when looking at that Seikel 4motion it get 'itchy' in my stumach...

I have a friend that drives the T3 van syncro 16". (112Hp boxer engine, front/rear difflocks, 215/80/16 inch mud tyres, nato army aluminium hardtop, buddich bullbar, and more nice gadgets.

he has sold several of those 16" vans second hand to USA/canada/ireland/great brittain/swiss/germany etc. The T4 was never good in syncro, the undercarriage wasnt equipped for offroading and not easy to modify.

The vegi oil and my 132 bhp engine is not the problem. I can't use vegi oil becouse of the extra heating I have installed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats no excuse, a extra diesel heater..... You can hook that one up to an extra seperate diesel tank mounted under the van. Vegi oil is almost 0.30€ cheaper as diesel now! its also legal to drive if you know what i mean....

R
o
n
a
l
d
/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Treespotter

Went to Yer Rigs to give Ryan his Chainsaw gas thread back.
Sorry Ryan that we let us go /forum/images/graemlins/driving.gif, but that's mostly how it is. You start talking about one thing and the thread dies after discussing loads of other stuff.

Frans,

What's Stabil. Is it one more reason to use the handsaw for the bigger cuts as well. /forum/images/graemlins/sumo.gif

RGus

Not a problem, I had my question answered in the first few posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to run that old 1600TD VW bus on veggie oil..... An idea to run that T5 of you on veggie to? (i believe those new engines are able to be modified for veggie use) You got what engine? 4 or 5 cilinder? Hp? (its not a 175Hp 4Motion with seikel offroad gear i believe /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it interesting how things differ across oceans. So when you guys are talking about running your vans and saws on veggie oil, is this similar to the veggie oil that you cook with? I am guessing not, but I had to ask. I know here in the US I have been hearing more about BioDeisel fuel, which is a mixture with veggie oil. I am guessing it is something similar to what you guys are talking about.

R_Schra

I find it interesting how things differ across oceans. So when you guys are talking about running your vans and saws on veggie oil, is this similar to the veggie oil that you cook with? I am guessing not, but I had to ask. I know here in the US I have been hearing more about BioDeisel fuel, which is a mixture with veggie oil. I am guessing it is something similar to what you guys are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bio diesel is vegi oil thats been raffined. or how they call it. in biodiesel the chemical chain is reduced to less atoms. so it become more fluidable. Most diesels can run easily on pure vegi oil like you cook in! Some research on the net will give lots of documentation. Even in the USA its common to do (maybe not so common but they do) Running ebgines on USED cooking oil! Even better, most get that free from a diner.

<font color="red"> vegi site </font>

RGus

I had no idea that it was a common practice to run cars on veggie oil. Is it pretty common to run your engines on veggie oil in the Netherlands, or do most people still use regular petroleum oil? I will have to study up on this more, I am in the market for a new vehicle, I have to see how avaliable it is here in MN.

Treespotter

No Ryan it's not, but it's a hot topic for some of us.

There are some big international transport companys here that drive on it, but for the mortal man it's hard to get.
I even don't know if there is a filling station close to where I live.

I hope that someday in the near future Volkswagen starts producing and selling Hydrogen vehicles. That will be the day that I really convert to a clean car.

Don't forget that afterall veggy oil is not as clean as we would like to think it is. Harvesting, production and transport take a lot of combustion that usually is done by big tractors and trucks that run on normal Diesel.

Wolter

R_Schra

No Ryan it's not, but it's a hot topic for some of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats right, In the netherlands its just a growing interrest for it. In germany i believe 40.000 vehicles are already equipped to drive on vegi oil.

There are some big international transport companys here that drive on it, but for the mortal man it's hard to get.
I even don't know if there is a filling station close to where I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

A or some dutch Mac Donalds supply truck is running on there own used vegi oil!
I know of a big commercial chicken slaughter that is running a delivery truck on waste animal oil....
Also some big trucks are converted to vegi, its limited subsidiced to run on vegi. (no fuel taxes)

I hope that someday in the near future Volkswagen starts producing and selling Hydrogen vehicles. That will be the day that I really convert to a clean car.

Don't forget that afterall veggy oil is not as clean as we would like to think it is. Harvesting, production and transport take a lot of combustion that usually is done by big tractors and trucks that run on normal Diesel.

Wolter

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolter, How do you think Hydrogen is produced???? Thats also big energy consuming to! I once made the summary for the netherlands, if all vehicles registerd in the netherlands, +/-8 million, ran on vegi, the whole area of the netherlands has to be grown with oil giving plants or crops. (including lake area's, territorial water (sea), roads and al populated and builded area)

So just vegi oil isnt the sollution....

About a filling station, vegi oil is a natural product and so no reguliations for special storage are in place like for diesel or gasoline. If you want you can put a 1000liter tank with ya own oil in. You can fill those in germany or some dutch suppliers do deliver at home. A common practise is that people buy 1 liter coocking oil at the low budget grocery (aldi, liddl) in boxes at once. At home they will put it in bigger cans or the cars tank.

Ronald