It's da Muddafuggin Charlotte

Frax

I've been involved with the Charlotte competition for a few years. I think it's the largest of the somewhat regular style non-ISA sanctioned events.

This year we tried something new with throw line that's been on my mind for awhile. We eliminated the requirement to set a rope. You could use it, if you wanted it but it gained no points.

My reasoning was that throwline is possibly one of the hardest events on a canopy especially if the same trees often get used at venues. One of the things that makes it hard on trees is the ripping through of ropes through the same crotches over and over at high speeds just to make time. There's no real skill at that point.

In future years I'd like to expand the event to give the additional points for isolation and fewer points for a non isolated line. Double bagging and other skills would be required to get full points. The targets would be set up with this in mind. This simulates modern rope access better now that SRT has become mainstream.

But most of all, I think trees are better protected if competitors aren't focused on doing stuff up fast and working more on the finesse of isolating a good but difficult target.

Thoughts?

monkeylove

I think that is a great idea with today's climbing styles changing quickly. While I have only been climbing for a few years even I can see that there are more important things to setting your anchor than just raw speed. With some throwline wizardry and time it is possible to just get close to your desired crotch and then walk your throwball into the perfect anchor. I think it's a good change.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had ~ 60 climbers at Charlotte. The concept was extremely well received.

We also emphasized "do not harm the trees".

The broken limb size was only 1/2" Min (-1 pt Penalty) to 3/4" Max (DQ).
1. Therefore it was suggested, "remove the throw bag if necessary".
2. Or just leave the throwline in the tree to avoid a DQ (just take the -1 pt penalty, for a non-scoring line left in the tree).

I think we had 1 limb 1/2+" broken all day !

We had ~ "12 stuck" lines all day.
However, with a 75' bucket truck, and an excellent operator, this was no problem w/ all 60 competitors.

Now, back to Nora's post !

Last edited:

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup.
It mystifies my why soooooooooo many very good climbers do that.

Years ago, the ITCC rules for the Masters limited the throws to get into the tree to only 5; then DQ.
She was a previous ITCC Winner, and continued to throw tall. All or nothing ....................

There are LOTS of "points strategies" in many TCC events.

Last edited:

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think with me it was a matter of "having" to hit it. The fact I couldn't still bothers me today.
I hear you and that's 100% OK with me.

Each competitor comes to the TCC with slightly different reasons / expectations:
1. Some want to meet / greet (maybe connect for employment ?)
2. Some want to learn about new equipment & techniques.
3. Some are very competitive & want the MOST points to WIN !
4. Some just want to see how well they can do (forget the points)
Forget the points & time at Work Climb, just get to as many stations as I can.

It's all GOOD !

Tony

Each competitor comes to the TCC with slightly different reasons / expectations:

It's all GOOD !
Well stated post Greg. Something I have observed many times as a competitor and when helping with set up. So many reason to go to a comp.
If winning is your goal, bear in mind you don't hav to "win" every event. You just have to score.

Tony

Treezybreez

I am not sure why double bagging should get anyone more points. It often just means that you did not get the optimal crotch on the first throw.

Last edited:

ROYCE

It's all GOOD !
Well Put! And sometime a climber might go through all of those in a few years. It happened to me.