Is this a type of poison oak?

Tyler Durden

I have about 80 ft of red tip photinia shrub to remove tomorrow and I just noticed this Vine all over it. I can't seem to get a solid positive ID on it but it sure looks like poison oak to me. It has a bright red stem and a oak like Leaf but the berries are throwing me off. If anybody could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Welcome Kari!

One real big benefit of living above the Snow Belt is that we don't have as many poisonous, noxious or thorny plants to deal with.

There are things that I do miss about living in the South but getting rashes from nasty plantS sure isn't one of them

Treezybreez

What's the matter Tom you don't like the warm fuzzy feeling poison ivy generously bestows?

It's even worse if you end up spreading the love.
I had a couple bad cases this year. My wife was not very happy when she managed to get some from either me or my work clothes.

Tyler Durden

That is my biggest fear. My son is 17 months and I have no clue what would happen if I brought it home.

Treezybreez

That is my biggest fear. My son is 17 months and I have no clue what would happen if I brought it home.

If I know that I have been working in it, I throw my gloves away, soap up and make sure that my dirty clothes are separate from the other laundry. Usually I am able to escape without too much trouble.

Treezybreez

If I know that I have been working in it, I throw my gloves away, soap up and make sure that my dirty clothes are separate from the other laundry. Usually I am able to escape without too much trouble.

Tyler Durden

We have similar decontamination procedures here at home, but from time to time some still slips by and the wife winds up with a case. I keep the Technu singles in all of our trucks as well, it seems to help.

2 years ago my eyes swole almost all the way shut. We were clearing and chipping huge poison oak bushes in Mendocino county. I've climbed trees covered in it while doing rural line clearance and had an ongoing stock of technu. Nowadays I don't need to take any precautions and it's barely on my radar. About 6 months ago I did get what looked like a nasty chemical burn, but now I think it was exposure to some plant that caused phytophotodermatitis.

Last edited:

southsoundtree

Get a separate washing machine, cheap or free, for work clothes. Graywater drain, if needed, maybe in the shop.

We have poison oak along high banks on the Puget Sound.

When in doubt, cover everything, head to toe, and bag it all when done with the problem area, wash, and put on clean clothes before going in the truck.

Oil sticks to skin, but not to clothing/ seats.

Scrub it off with a washcloth, not just bare hands and soap. It make a big difference in getting the oil off.

Marie's Poison Oak Soap...was given some by a customer. Good results. Can't pinpoint causation, just correlation.
https://www.opentip.com/search.php?...dmB_Fp8WleaJKSkzsx68o2klYEGz-SsBoCQRYQAvD_BwE

Brocky

We got it it once not knowing it. Hot, sweaty summer we drove in company pickup back to shop. Coworker and I were covered in rashes and swelling before long, didn't go to work next day. The pickup, however, was sent out with someone else for the day. That guy was out the next day with bad rash on the back of his legs only. Apparently, the oil transferred from our pants to the seat, and the next day the worker sat in it with sweaty pants, enough to soak through the jean material and get on the back of his legs. The pickup was sent out to be cleaned after that.

ATH

On the plant ID...I searched "bipinnately compound vine" and got peppervine. When I first started learning trees, I was always frustrated because everything looked the same. However taking time to intentionally look at what is different and which features might help lead to more rapid ID helps a lot. ... not as much as the internet...but it helps!

As to poison ivy (and I'd assume it will work with poisons oak and sumac as well): tecnu is great when you know you have been exposed. Actually, anything that scrubs oil off. Think about what it takes to get grease off of you when you are done working on a car or truck and do that with the invisible oils as soon as you can.

But...when that fails, I have found Zanfel to be great. I didn't believe the claim that it would resolve an existing rash, but it does. This summer I was in it on a Thursday, started to itch Saturday. Scrubbed with Zanfel a couple of times over next couple of days. Sunday night it looked like it was ready to go DEFCON 1...faded from there. By the following Wednesday/Thursday there was just some redness, didn't feel any irritation. Little bit of sticker shock for an OTC medication...but when you have a raging rash who wouldn't fork out $35 to make it just go away!

Poison Ivy, Oak, and Poison Sumac all carry urushiol. Urushiol is the oil that causes the allergic reaction. During the summer especially you can see black oil sometimes flowing out of the vines or plants. I have always used the Technu rinse with good results if used a within a few hours of coming in contact. Technu works by removing the oil (Urushiol) from skin, tools, and clothes. Take a look at the ingredients of Technu...deodorized mineral spirits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk