Introducing the Wrist Rocket Ascender.

Fairfield

I have always had some degree of this. It's gotten much worse. At times when sleeping on my chest both arms go out, dead asleep pins and needles barely functional and I have to flop around like a fish to get the feeling back in them.
Exactly the same here. Some nights it had scared the crap out of me

dsptech

Santa Mumford just filled my wish list for two Wrist Rockets.

@yoyoman
Santa Claus
noun
a benevolent figure of legend, associated with Saint Nicholas, supposed to bring gifts to children on Christmas Eve.

Richard and his friend Paul are nothing more than Gear Junkie Enablers.
They are personally responsible for the year over year increase in addiction rates in innocent and unsuspecting climbers.
Draining wallets and bank accounts accounting for massive decreases in residual cash stores (especially mine) set aside for children's Christmas gifts.

Mumford / Cox
nouns
dastardly figures of legend, associated with the Grinch, inventors of gadgets designed to stiff children of gifts on Christmas Eve.

Thanks Paul, and you know what I've been climbing on it with, I'm getting close. I'll let you know as soon as it's completely put together.
Can I be put on the demo list?

pctree

Paul are y'all still manufacturing the wraptor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff yes we are still building Wraptors, just behind on orders. The bottom line is I make way more money doing tree work than working for Ropetek and if I do happen upon good inovations that have the potential to make money Sherrill steals them so there is little motivation to do so.

Bull

Interesting point

What handled ascender do you prefer?

Do you build up the handle with tape and foam to get a better formed handle?

Pictures?
Tom,
There are several good choices out there. The CMI expedition ascenders have some of the best clunky and comfortable handgrips going. The Petzl and ISC are not bad choices either. I come from the old school method of climbing and this product simply does not make sense. Using this type of strap in weightlifting puts undue stress on the wrist joint. Some have said that weightlifting puts considerably more stress on the joints. While I agree to some extent consider this; A single strap around ones wrist, going through the pulling motions is going to put a huge amount of stress on the wrist as opposed to spreading that load across two wrists. Yo yo man mentioned that if one passes out on an ascent it would keep them upright. While I do not disagree with this statement, would't a properly tied in handled ascender do the same thing? I would think that if one were properly tied in to a handled ascender and passed out that it would cause way less stress on the victim hanging by a chest type harness that by simply hanging them by one arm. IMO, this product just does not satisfy or beat a good handled ascender. Aside from the claims of what this wrist rocket does, what people fail to realize is that by using the strap, it is also decreasing their grip strength, which in this line of work is critical in some scenarios.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
All good points

A friend of mine has done his doctorate research which addresses the grip power on arbo ropes. The fine point of his research showed that it takes the same amount of power to grab a Bare half inch rope as it does to grab a 7/16" rope with grippy gloves

What I see with this tool is that the ascender is palmed and the fingers hook over the top pulling down. There seems to be no rope grabbing, the ascender does that

Now, this is based only on watching the vid

I've got a collection of handled ascenders. I've never really liked how they crank my wrists out of alignment when they're above my head

yoyoman

..... I come from the old school method of climbing and this product simply does not make sense. ....
I can't decide if that DOESN'T make sense or if it makes PERFECT sense.

... IMO, this product just does not satisfy or beat a good handled ascender. Aside from the claims of what this wrist rocket does, what people fail to realize is that by using the strap, it is also decreasing their grip strength, which in this line of work is critical in some scenarios.
I value varied opinions and critique but also understand that what is one person's trash is another person's treasure.
You can't seriously believe that some stress relief grabbing a 1/2 inch rope is going to lead to an arborist experiencing muscle atrophy in the forearm, guys running chainsaws, lifting trees, limbs and everything else?
Sorry but this is sounding like a naysayer for naysayer sake. It's a beautiful bright sunny day but yes it will lead to skin cancer.

Richard

Nice looking device there Richard. I use lifting straps at the gym for shrugs. If I didn't, my grip wouldn't definitely give out when I hit 400 lbs for 20 reps. And several sets. But I'm sure I haven't lost any grip strength due to using the straps. They just allow me to go past what my grip will allow. Just got my Mag Throwbag in this afternoon. Thanks! Looking forward to using it.

dsptech

This thing needs a cool acronym.
Introducing the "WRAG"
Wrist Rocket Ascender Grip
or
EWAG
Ergonomic Wrist Ascender Grip

With a ergonomic grip being the main feature of the device.
V.2 should have the ascender molded into a rubber casing shaped to the grip of a hand.

You should probably check with me before your next product launch. :D