Insurance recommendations for pesticide use?

NL2718

We are just getting set up to work in PHC, transitioning from a pruning/removal operation and we need coverage for pesticide use. Does anyone have recommendations for insurers? Its been difficult to get our current insurer to be responsive. They are are actually a broker and my suspicion is they are not able to line up a carrier that will cover pesticide use. I got a quote from the NACUAA insurer out of Sandy, UT (insurechem.com) for about $1600 for the year, which includes tree service insurance. I just thought I'd ask around for other suggestions. These people seem legit ::shrug:: although I've seen an old post on treebuzz questioning that :D. Any input is much appreciated!

NL2718

Looking through old treebuzz posts I found Richard Weden with Corcoran and Havlin highly recommended and I've given him a call (waiting for a callback). If you have other suggestions, please do let me know. Thanks!

ATH

Ours is through Westfield. There are just not that many insurance companies that will write a policy including pesticide application. I talked to several agents who all looked at several different Underwriters. There are others but this is where we ended up. Have had no problems or need for a claim so I can't say if they were good bad or indifferent! Planning to keep it that way.

NL2718

Ours is through Westfield. There are just not that many insurance companies that will write a policy including pesticide application. I talked to several agents who all looked at several different Underwriters. There are others but this is where we ended up. Have had no problems or need for a claim so I can't say if they were good bad or indifferent! Planning to keep it that way.
Thanks for the pointer, I will give them a call. Yes, better not to ever have to make a claim! Especially when the conditions for getting insurance say things like:

"Excludes any Tree Felling (Logging) on any property with a structure or sidewalk. Trees must be cut down in secured controlled sections
and lowered to the ground as to avoid contact with any person(s) or structure(s)."

:oops: And this is from a company specializing in working with tree services. Either they don't know that it's not always safe to rig and lower or they are just trying to cover their asses and avoid having to cover in case of an accident :mad:

TsugaPHC

I never had an issue, but I’m insured as a landscaper who applies pesticides rather than a tree company. Since I don’t do any GTC, my agent said landscaper was the best fit, and getting the applicator’s endorsement was a breeze.

NL2718

I never had an issue, but I’m insured as a landscaper who applies pesticides rather than a tree company. Since I don’t do any GTC, my agent said landscaper was the best fit, and getting the applicator’s endorsement was a breeze.
Cool. For us, we've still got to do some removal and pruning to keep paying the bills, but hopefully, someday!

NL2718

Just an update - thanks everyone for your input. In the end I think we're going to go with Corcoran and Havlin. Rick Weden really inspired a lot of confidence in us especially as he knows the tree industry well as well as the insurance side of things. I feel like we're in good hands!