I'm not very good at tree ID and need help.

dmonn

A friend wants some help with this tree and I want to know what I'm dealing with before I get there. All I have to go on are these photos.20190627_181433.jpg20190627_181424.jpg20190627_181421.jpg

Jan_

That looks a lot like Acer platanoides, I dont know the english name but google throws norway maple at me. We have a lot of those in Germany.
edit: Silver maple seems to be closer, but we dont have those in Germany.
Maple anyways

oldoakman

Silver Maple. A possible cultivar would be Autumn Blaze. Still strong Silver Maple parentage.

dmonn

The break is not very far off the ground (reported at 7 or 8 ft) so my plan is to access by ladder then lanyard into whatever stem(s) seem appropriate. Looks like it may be easiest to clean up the break with a chainsaw rather than handsaw. Agree? Maples have tender bark so I will tread lightly. Any suggestions on pruning back the splintered area? Do's and don'ts?

ATH

You don't need a ladder for the pruning cut that one needs....

It will split again just above where that current one is. I imagine there won't be much of the tree left if you cut half of the remaining fork.

dmonn

Would bolting the two remaining stems together be of benefit to the tree? Help prevent (delay) the next split? Or would that be a waste of time?

ATH

It would be a waste to time in my opinion...lost opportunity to get a new tree started.