If someone wanted to try competition climbing...

theXman

Hey,

If someone wanted to try competition climbing, and they were already a daily climber, where would you suggest they start?

Seeing a competition would be first I guess. I've never seen one. I intended to go to the Pittsburg one this year but had a conflicting appointment.

Are there any videos? Rule books? When's the next one on the east coast?

Help would be appreciated, thanks,

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
We will be running a warm-up type competition in Augusta GA in January. We will be demoing the events, and running them over the course of two days. It's a good place to get your feet wet.

theXman

Thanks Mark, Jon, and rborist.

January is a great time for me to be able to get away. Yes, I'm interested. I guess you will be posting actual dates and location when you get closer? I'll make a note on my January callender to look for it. Quite certain I should be able to go and will go.

thanx,

theXman

My co-worker Justin and I went to the Georgia Mock-competition.

Let me tell ya about it real quick.

It was great.

I tell ya, we are lucky to have someone like MARK CHISHOLM in this industry and associated with the competions. For those of you that may not have met him yet, he is an extremely helpfull and modest person. He was clearly interested in helping people learn and has a great attitude. Luckily even with his skill level, he does not have a "big head" and act all high and mighty. Brian (heritage tree -I believe) (whom I'm less familar with, and I hope that's his name) was also helpful.

It was mostly southern climbers and mostly very local, Georgia and S. Carolina. I think that Justin and i were the only ones from several states away, (besides Mark and Brian).

Being that it was the only mock-competion in sight, we thought it would be worth it. And it was. Learned a lot and was very fun. Mistakes didn't matter to me (here), I just wanted to learn the process and I did.

Justin just started tree work with me this past season and has only done rec climbs with me and other training climbs (maybe 8 trees total). He did all the competitions and it has even incressed his already hungry appetite for climbing. -Which is another plus for going.

It was two days. The evening of the first day was a nice big bar-b-Q. Tons to eat, and very good. Shoot, that dinner was worth the $25.00. Plus lunch is included both days.

I highly suggest anyone interrested in possibly competing, to go to this next year. It was WELL worth it! We drove, 10 hrs each way. Well worth it. Hotel was good and cheap $58.00 a night.

We are both now hooked on competing for the future.

Thanks Mark and Brian and who ever else helped and set that up!

wct4life

Re: If someone wanted to try competition climbing.

X, do you have any info on the competitors? Who placed what/where? Two guys I know from my town were supposed to compete. I haven't talked with them yet to see how they did.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
Those are kind words David. Thanks for taking the time to write them down.

It was fun. Running the competition for 20 guys with just me Brian and Scott was tough. Luckily we had a few good volunteers come forward (Mahk!). The feel was relaxed. We (the organizers) thoroughly enjoyed watching the climbers and trying to help them. Truth is, if we were strickly following the book, all three Masters climbers would have been DQ'd. That wasn't the point of this. We did talk to each of them one-on-one afterwards to discuss that, but the event went on.

I think that more of these should be held. It is good for the climbers, good for the spectators and good for the industry. We get a chance to measure ourselves amongst our peers, share our insights and learn from fellow climbers. It's all win!

The hardest part is not trying to tell each person how to do each event. Truth is they all could do something better than any of us (judges) at any given moment. I saw David take a straight jump from station A to station B and land it clean. I didn't demo that! That was pure creativity. That's the fun part of the event.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
Oh yeah, one last comment, next time try to bring a longer line for the rescue event David! /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif That was going to be one of ( if not "the") best rescues of the day- until the rope ran out! Good learing experience though, right? /forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

theXman

WCT4Life,

Hmmmm. I will try to remember. And it's only first names (and I may even get that wrong).

Matt (from Big Dog in GA) was the master climb "winner". Luke from S. Carolina? was "2nd". "3rd", was another guy I think from Big Dog, a white guy with hair on his chin /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif, that's all I know.

Luke was fastest in belayed speed climb I believe. And I think he won the throw ball too. After that, the only other place I know of is that I think i got "second" in the work climb.

After doing these events for the first time, you see lots and lots of moves where you could have done much better and saved time. I would have loved to have done them a second time. So, I'm looking forward to competing in the future. I realize I won't get them right the second time either, but it will be better. And man is it fun!

I think everyone there realized that the rules were relaxed and we all sure appreciated that, because then we all could get a feel for the whole event.

It definitely was a big task for the 3 Judges cause they all did devote individual help and instruction to every /forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif competitor.

I just went to a Maryland Arborist Association sponsered seminar today to renew my pesticide licenses and they briefly mentioned a mock-competition here in Maryland coming up soon. I couldn't hear the date or place, but I'll find out.

Mangoes

Mark,

If I were to attempt a mock competition such as that up here would it have to be insured in the same manner as the TCCs? Was yours insured? What other beauraucratic protocols should I worry about?

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator

I would definitely get the "event insurance". That keeps everyone protected even from a spained ankle in the parking lot. Other than that, I guess that's it? Set the guidelines and hope that there are no protests. /forum/images/graemlins/ahhhhh.gif

If you can group it with an organization then get it approved for CEU's, you might make it a fun and educational deal. Not to mention support for lunches and easy access to a park...

Mahk_Adams

Mangoes;

The ISA was shooting a video about putting on a TCC. I don't know how far they have gone with it or whether it is available yet. I have an old video from...........the late 80's, early 90's?

That's probably not going to be much help.

Contact the ISA and see what they can tell you.

Mahk