ID Image

Greg,
You're sorta close. The tree is native to your side of the country but much further up the coast.

Mark,
Canker? I didn't know that they got canker. What size was it?

Eric

Yeah, you're right Eric. I guess that it was simply girdling itself from a basal wound below the burlap. What a bummer. /forum/images/graemlins/9lame.gif

No, I don't think that it was, I was just rushing through the reply. It was injusred and went almost 50% around the base before the wall was set.

Ezekiel,

Another good call!!

I've only seen it listed as Chamaecyparis nootkatensis, but I could be wrong.

You obviously have a good ID background. How did you gain your ID knowledge?

Mark,

"Dirr" has Yellow Cypress listed as one of the common names. I usually hear it called Weeping Alaskan Cedar or Weeping Alaskan Cypress, perhaps that is more of a Northeast common name. /forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It was Chamacyparis but was changed to Xanthocyparis by those crazy botonist types. I got my certificate in ornamental horticulture in the Seattle area. The department head had a degree in Botony and has created some wonderful ID classes as part of the program. He split it into three main classes, decidious ID, conifer ID and broadleaf evergreen ID. There was also some advanced ID but I never got to that one. Each one of the classes had something like 300 plus plants. He required that you know the full plant name (common and Latin) as well as family, plant habits (culture, mature height etc.) and was a bear on spelling. It was alot of work but well worth it in the long run! Keep those ID questions coming, I get a real kick out of it! I have some to post when I have the time. Happy climbing all!