I need help with training

SRT_rocks

I recently got out of climbing due to a mental condition. I'm ok now because I got treatment and it worked. I decided to quit climbing for a couple years while I sorted things out. During my recovery, I gained weight due to medication. I have a new career working on my computer at home, but I miss climbing. I just want to rec climb and hopefully compete again. I competed once in Charlotte in 2008 and boy did I suck lol. I had an amazing time at the comp and learned so much. I'm was a bigger guy when I was climbing, I was about 220 6'1" throughout my career, but I have ballooned up to 260lbs. Also, before I loved to run and box, surprisingly I even ran the Baltimore marathon one year. I know most climbers train while there are at work. Lol, you all are probably thinking, when is this guy going to ask his question. Here is the question- I was wondering if anyone had success with a workout routine or workout method (other than working) for getting in climbing shape? I have started cutting out crap from my diet and I'm drinking water, which shows on the scale. I plan on climbing on the weekends. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

john meehan

I recently got out of climbing due to a mental condition. I'm ok now because I got treatment and it worked. I decided to quit climbing for a couple years while I sorted things out. During my recovery, I gained weight due to medication. I have a new career working on my computer at home, but I miss climbing. I just want to rec climb and hopefully compete again. I competed once in Charlotte in 2008 and boy did I suck lol. I had an amazing time at the comp and learned so much. I'm was a bigger guy when I was climbing, I was about 220 6'1" throughout my career, but I have ballooned up to 260lbs. Also, before I loved to run and box, surprisingly I even ran the Baltimore marathon one year. I know most climbers train while there are at work. Lol, you all are probably thinking, when is this guy going to ask his question. Here is the question- I was wondering if anyone had success with a workout routine or workout method (other than working) for getting in climbing shape? I have started cutting out crap from my diet and I'm drinking water, which shows on the scale. I plan on climbing on the weekends. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I’m in a similar boat after an accident around a year, hardly any climbing and I’ve put a bit of weight on in that time.

Just getting back to climbing and have started training with kettlebells, good all round for building core strength and losing some weight. I’m finding them quite beneficial,

Good luck man,

Climb safe

SRT_rocks

John- Thanks for the ideas. I like using kettlebells. Good luck with your recovery. I did a small job about two weeks ago. I thought I could do it from the ground, but then I figure I'll just climb it. It wasn't that high(35ft). I had no problem pulling my weight, but the positioning and lack of core strength really wiped me out. I miss climbing so I'm going to make this work.

TCtreeswinger- Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like a strong workout. I'll make my own version of your routine, with lowers reps, eventually working up to doing your work out. I'll willing to try anything.

Tony

Look up Athlean-X. All the programs are great. Start with AX 1 or Xero (all bodyweight).

This ain’t for the feint of heart! But you put max effort in you will see results

Tony

Stephen Moore

Look up PHA training it is perfect for your needs, it will beat the fat right off you while increasing endurance! Most pro athletes eespecially Hockey and soccer players do this training. The best part is you don't need a lot of weights, just the basic stuff. You will combine it with 4 weekly 5k runs if you can do them, if not modify to your current condition. Be extremely careful when you start, have someone near by... the technique can cause pass outs due to the demands on your cardiovascular system. You will feel like a monster in 1 month, I guarantee it.

Chaplain242

I have had to recover from downtime like that and one thing that does help is getting diet under control, drinking water and detoxifying from any drugs etc that are still in your system. Your body wont willingly allow your fat reserves to diminish if it means that the toxins stored in your fat reserves can overload your system. Your body will resist weight loss.

Also new research you may or may not be aware of has revealed the influence your gut flora has on your body's ability to bounce back because of the types of bacteria in your gut that helps your body digest. These get out of balance and resist change in the rest of your body including weight and also influence many other parts of the body and even your thinking.

See the book 'Clever Guts Diet" and it will be quite revealing regarding last paragraph.

Trying to re-establish a healthy gut will assist recovery probably faster and better than many other traditional option - if you dont include a varied diet as traditional.

Apparently some of the healthiest people are those on the elite sporting teams simply because they eat at buffets where they eat so many different types of food it pushes the gut into balance, because the habitual (select foods eaten daily) diet we often fall into favors only a few types of bacteria and the gut goes out of balance.

Also stay away from cereals exposed to Glyphosate as it tends to kill good bacteria and promote bad bacteria. Thats how it supposedly kills weeds - by weakening the immune system of the plant and it dies of a local plant disease. Apparently can do the same in the human gut. I just probably put myself in the crosshairs of a a few global pestecide firms, but eating organic food will certainly be less toxic and help weight loss.

Also stay away from microwaves - apparently turns food into something the body doesnt recognise and it covers it in mucus and expels it - like eating plastic. Eating healthy could probably assist weight loss in a big way.

Something I found helpful in dropping toxicity was Aloe Vera juice every morning and afternoon. Tastes nasty but certainly makes you feel better (Makes you feel worse for a month or so until the toxins it helps to expel leave your system...)

SRT_rocks

Chaplain242 I'm going to buy that book you recommended, well an audiobook version. Both my mother and I need this because she has been going through stomach issues for a while now. My family has been eating poorly for a while.

Once I finish this project and hide from my emails for a bit, I'll research everyone's post in detail. Thanks to everyone.(y)

Chaplain242

Not going to argue - there's info out there that can inspire debate and it's up to readers to investigate if they want and make their own decision...

evo

Geez just eat and live....have loads of sex... you guys listening to too much shite. Most food these days is crap but we gotta eat...just move and move a lot....
Screwing is one of the healthiest things you can do! Great for the core, if your doin it right bomber work out and weight lifting.