I found the poison ivy/oak solution.

TallTreeClimber

So, I've searched high and low, scouring the internet, and have finally found the solution to poison ivy infection. I didn't find the actual solution on the net though. I just learned the mechanism and then deduced the solution. Where ever you have contacted the oil, simply douse the area with alcohol based hand sanitizer and rub it in. It works wonders. If you do this within a few hours of contact you will likely have no rash or symptoms at all. I've tested this for several months now and it seems to be fool proof. I carry a bottle in my car and it's cheap as hell and easy to apply and store.

Mowerr

So, I've searched high and low, scouring the internet, and have finally found the solution to poison ivy infection. I didn't find the actual solution on the net though. I just learned the mechanism and then deduced the solution. Where ever you have contacted the oil, simply douse the area with alcohol based hand sanitizer and rub it in. It works wonders. If you do this within a few hours of contact you will likely have no rash or symptoms at all. I've tested this for several months now and it seems to be fool proof. I carry a bottle in my car and it's cheap as hell and easy to apply and store.
When u get infected, do u break out bad? Like Everytime use the stuff?
Some people react more to it than others, is why I ask...

TallTreeClimber

When u get infected, do u break out bad? Like Everytime use the stuff?
Some people react more to it than others, is why I ask...
I have bad reactions. I missed the back of my hand last time I was exposed and it's spreading up my wrist now. Last time I was exposed from the knees down last Saturday and I was weed wacking in a massive undergrowth of it. I got my arms and legs and neck sanitized, but I missed the back of my hands.

The stuff works great to neutralize the grease urushiol.

Last edited:

Mowerr

I have bad reactions.
Well this is good to know... I've heard of some guys doing this before but I'm sure many will be thanking u if it works.
I'm almost immune to it now but I live where it's growwing really bad, very invasive. So I try to take it down and get rid of it as much as I can for family and friends, sometimes customers...

TallTreeClimber

Well this is good to know... I've heard of some guys doing this before but I'm sure many will be thanking u if it works.
I'm almost immune to it now but I live where it's growwing really bad, very invasive. So I try to take it down and get rid of it as much as I can for family and friends, sometimes customers...
Me and the wife keep waiting for our immunity because our land is covered with it, but we keep getting rashes. She more than I because she hasn't adopted my alcohol sanitizer method as religiously as I have.

Mowerr

Me and the wife keep waiting for our immunity because our land is covered with it, but we keep getting rashes. She more than I because she hasn't adopted my alcohol sanitizer method as religiously as I have.
Yea i grew up with it and always had bad reactions but now after working with it so long it seems I get a couple bubbles once a year then I don't seems to get it till next summer. I usually have to be cutting it to get the itchy bubbles

ATH

Any thing that cleans oil off of your hands will work. There is a video about dish soap being the magical solution. I use the orange pumice hand cleaner with good results.

I think the best thing may be to go rub the areas you exposed to poison ivy all over your engine, then do whatever you do to get that cleaned off and the urishol will be off as well. But timing is key...asap.

cory

Lately Ive been trying the homeopathic route, eating a bit of it every few weeks, so far so good. I typically get PI but not very badly.

TallTreeClimber

Any thing that cleans oil off of your hands will work. There is a video about dish soap being the magical solution. I use the orange pumice hand cleaner with good results.

I think the best thing may be to go rub the areas you exposed to poison ivy all over your engine, then do whatever you do to get that cleaned off and the urishol will be off as well. But timing is key...asap.
For me, dawn don't work without a whole lotta scrubbin. The alcohol gel just works.

ATH

I agree. Same deal trying to clean my hands after working on equipment...Dawn isn't the best option.

Scratch

Friction is the key with that oil or any other.
I used to be very allergic to it, and probably still am, but I rarely get more than a few dots because of how I clean up now. Here's a great video that seems to be going around recently.

TallTreeClimber

I used to be very allergic to it, and probably still am, but I rarely get more than a few dots because of how I clean up now. Here's a great video that seems to be going around recently.
That's what I've been trying to communicate guys. I've seen all the videos and read all the threads. If i missed it tell me. I'm trying to explain that I've found no better way than hand sanitizer to remove the ingredient urushiol. No scrubbing necessary, just slather it on your spots with your hands and then rub it in a little and you won't need to rub your leg hair off. Friction not necessary.