I am asking for help as this appears to be my last choice.

evo

How many of us have weaver products? Who is willing to join me in shipping them to weaver with this letter mentioned above? I have their knockoff chestie that I use every day. I’d be happy to send it to them.

#SAKAissuperior
I think I have a few saw lanyards. Never been fond of weaver

Fivepoints

If you have the above mentioned patent, I'd think really hard about having an attorney draft a letter to weaver.

I've bought well over $1k worth of weaver stuff myself. I won't be buying anymore.

evo

If you still have them on your website I’ll order one, if not I’ll place the order through wesspur. I’m not in a position to help out much, but take whatever profits and apply them to the fight. When and if I can I’ll drop some funds to the go fund me

Birdyman88

Sending Demand Letters Under Bad Faith

Sending multiple patent demand letters to users and small business owners with no intention of filing a lawsuit is considered harmful. That's because those who receive letters sent in this matter may be unfamiliar with patent law and without the resources to defend themselves in court. As a result, they may agree to pay a licensing fee or settlement even when not actually guilty of infringement.

This practice, known as sending demand letters in bad faith, is under attack through multiple legal channels. Legislative proposals currently in Congress require specific information to be included in a demand letter for it to prove willful infringement. They may also require the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to consider bad faith demand letters a deceptive trade practice.

Birdyman88

Oh, and fight it if you have patent, time, resources, and a good attorney. Is it worth it? How many times is any war actually worth it? It just about getting people to quit bullying you.

Last edited:

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
If patent lawsuits were about patent infringements why aren't there patent lawsuits about more pieces of equipment that our tiny slice of the climbing world uses? Ropes...carabiners...multi-scenders...harnesses...helmets...on and on. What is going on? Could it be about something other than innovation?

Chaplain242

Was going to get a roll'n'lock and was interested in quickroll ascender, cant in good faith get either now. Couldn't even see a saka on weaver website, so I guess is 'if they can't have then no one can have' mentality?

climbstihl

Was going to get a roll'n'lock and was interested in quickroll ascender, cant in good faith get either now. Couldn't even see a saka on weaver website, so I guess is 'if they can't have then no one can have' mentality?
Not sure what you're talking about, the rollnlock and quickroll are from CT, not Weaver.

climbstihl

They are marketed on Weavers Product page...
That's interesting, I didn't know that. I can't find anything with a quick search to suggest that weaver owns them, so I don't think that weaver will profit from you buying CT products somewhere not affiliated with weaver.

climbstihl

I saw that page too. I have no idea what exactly their relation is, but I still don't think weaver profits from CT sales elsewhere (especially if you were to buy from the UK or something...).
Doesn't @yoyoman use CT ascenders in the Sakas?

Burrapeg

A letter from everyone here on the Buzz would unfortunately not amount to very many people. I would imagine they would simply ignore them again. And the bastards know they have the financial advantage to handle the legal bills in a lawsuit. It really does stifle innovation in this country to a serious degree. Letters to our congressmen might be more effective. Weaver might listen more to an inquiry from a US congressman than from one of us.

John@TreeXP

One way to return the favor may be to increase production of UNLEADED (Steel) Throw Bags, which compete directly with Weaver, perhaps adding a couple different bag weight options.Weaver produces lead throw bags which are bad for the environment and they come with a mandatory warning advisory.

I propose that we unite and launch a throw bag campaign, selling Climbing Innovation's NON-LEAD throw bags for a $25 - Donation, the proceeds of which can go toward the SAKA recovery fund.

Burrapeg

I suppose Weaver has also sent similar, threatening letters to the outfits like WesSpur, to stop them carrying the Mini? It would be nice if these companies could make a stand also, and maybe tell Weaver they don't appreciate having their choices of product limited with threats. I will see Dave at this upcoming aerial rescue gathering on the 6th September and discuss it with him. Richard, you are coming to that event as well, aren't you?