I am asking for help as this appears to be my last choice.

yoyoman

Dear friends,
I am asking for help as this appears to be my last choice.
Although I find myself at the tip of the spear, this is a fight for innovation, it is about being able to provide climbers with products that can make a high-risk job safer and give climbers the ability to choose what works best for them.
Innovation is about advancing ideas and making them better while respecting intellectual property rights. An innovator should be rewarded but at the same time innovation should be allowed to move forward.
I have received a cease and desist letter from Weaver Leather LLC (Weaver). This time for my new product, SAKA-mini-MAX. As many of you know, SAKA-mini-MAX is a very different product from the HAAS knee ascender made by Weaver. Most of you were very disappointed when I removed the original SAKA from the market because of pressure from Weaver. Although the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) subsequently issued me a patent (US 10,052,521 B1) for the original SAKA, I cannot sell or use this device. Let me repeat, I cannot even use my own patented device.
Thanks to your encouragement and continuous support, after spent a year thinking and tinkering around, I was able to come up the SAKA-mini-MAX, which many of you consider as an even better device because it offers many options and has unprecedented versatility. Now this innovation is at threat of being taken away.
I can either cave into the threat and take SAK-min-MAX off of the market or I can stand up and fight, not only for myself but also for keeping choices for climbers. I cannot win this fight alone. Please respond to my GoFundMe survey below. I will devote my time towards this without compensation. Every penny raised through GoFundMe will be accounted for and go directly to the payment of legal fees in keeping SAKA-mini-MAX on the market.

Survey:
• Should I walk away and let SAKA-mini-MAX disappear forever?
Or
• Should I start a GoFundMe and ask for support from the climbing community to fund my legal fight to protect SAKA-mini-MAX?
Sincerely,
Richard Mumford

Attachments

RopeShield

The fucktards are still throwing toxic lead throw wts by the thousands of pounds into the environment, they only care for profit
there is no chance for a reasonable conversation with weaver
walk a way save yourself time and energy and dollars and move on.
any one reading this just don't give your money to weaver.

Crimsonking

Fight it. This is corporate bullying. They tried to shut you out, but you just got better. Now your new product still outshines theirs and even improves upon yours. They want you to look at their size and give up. They’re afraid of you. They’re afraid of innovators, because they aren’t innovating.

I’m in for the fight.

rico

I would kick down some $ for a GoFundMe legal fund so you could fight Weaver. I also think that it is high time that the arb/treeman community stop supporting them in anyway shape or form. I also think that places like Wesspur, TreeStuff and the likes need to decide the type of companies they choose to do business with. I for one will never purchase another Weaver product from here forward. Fuck em'. Viva YoYoMan and ClimbingInnovations!!!

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Just as a note, I'd like to see a nice generic letter that we can copy and paste to our e-mail to send weaver explaining that as an arborist we will no longer be purchasing any of their products, not because of the original harassment that you recieved, but because they are still being dicks about it even though you rolled with the punches and figured out how to follow the stupid rules that were imposed upon you.

I'd donate what I could spare.
The velox sucks.

rico

Just as a note, I'd like to see a nice generic letter that we can copy and paste to our e-mail to send weaver explaining that as an arborist we will no longer be purchasing any of their products, not because of the original harassment that you recieved, but because they are still being dicks about it even though you rolled with the punches and figured out how to follow the stupid rules that were imposed upon you.

I'd donate what I could spare.
The velox sucks.
Yep. A 1000 arborist's sending them a letter stating that we will no longer be purchasing their products will speak louder and clear. Lets do it!

Benjo75

I'd definitely fight. I'd also donate. Can you sell the mini max as of right now? I've learned so much from your videos. The break tests give me way more confidence in my gear than I had before. You could sell the info that's in your vids for untold amounts. I know I would have bought it but you were kind enough to put it out there for everyone for free. I'm with Somethingwitty about the generic letter to email to them.

Steve Connally

The above mentioned letter was sent when the OG SAKA came off the market. Some even sent their weaver gear back to them. There were many of us who sent letters/email/ect and it had no effect. No-one even received a response from weaver. Best action is to boycott them with your dollar. Let the protest be noticed through a drop in gross revenue.

rico

How many of us have weaver products? Who is willing to join me in shipping them to weaver with this letter mentioned above? I have their knockoff chestie that I use every day. I’d be happy to send it to them.

#SAKAissuperior
I'm in. We all start sending their products back to them and include a letter stating our unhappiness with their business practices and making it crystal clear that we will no longer be purchasing in their products. Sounds like a solid plan that might actually get their attention.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
The above mentioned letter was sent when the OG SAKA came off the market. Some even sent their weaver gear back to them. There were many of us who sent letters/email/ect and it had no effect. No-one even received a response from weaver. Best action is to boycott them with your dollar. Let the protest be noticed through a drop in gross revenue.
Hopefully one young idealist working there quit over it.

I'm sure going to talk to everyone local that I can about not buying their gear.

Chaplain242

The fucktards are still throwing toxic lead throw wts by the thousands of pounds into the environment, they only care for profit
there is no chance for a reasonable conversation with weaver
walk a way save yourself time and energy and dollars and move on.
any one reading this just don't give your money to weaver.
I haven’t really got an issue with making lead shot throw weights as they are recyclable and if dispersing into environment it’s because of lack of preventative maintenance.

Last edited: