Husky or stihl

Trying to see what everyone's thoughts are between their choice of saws. Should I get a stihl or husky want a 24inch bar on it. What's your thoughts

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Frax

I'm going to add to that. It's the most important consideration of all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ATH

Me too. Shop for the dealer and buy their saw. There are strong opinions one way or the other, but they are both good saws. There are some real gems in each and some...not gems. I wouldn't say anything bad, just not gems. Depending on how much you are going to be using it, don't rule out professional models in other brands...echo Dolmar, Makita, etc...

Trying to see what everyone's thoughts are between their choice of saws. Should I get a stihl or husky want a 24inch bar on it. What's your thoughts

What do you currently own.
Is there a reason you limit the choice to husky or stihl.
Brett

They're both orange and they both cut wood! It's really a matter of personal preference / comparing different points in the product lines / comparing local availability.

For reference, I just got a Stihl MS461 with a 25" bar, which it handles easily. But, I wouldn't recommend this saw if it's the only saw you have, or if all the wood you need to cut is less than 20" and you just want a big bar for fun -- too heavy to deal with all day for smaller stuff. I also have a Husky 435, and this combination works well for me so far. If you just want one saw, and want to be able to push a 24" bar on occasion, something in the 50cc or 60cc class is probably good.

erwin

I used to only run Echo clmbing saws for the past 16 years, always have at least 4 of them in the truck. Used to be eaven cheaper than they're now. very similar quality and performance, for less than half of the price. My big saws used to be all Husky. A yewar ago, start to move to Stihl since money is no longer an issue. Got myself a MS193, and 201. Love the performance, but absolutely hate the STUPID CAPS! There is absolutely no way to field clean them when re-fueling. I hate to see saw dust, stuff getting into my $600 saw! Obviously same with the MS661. I've been wondering why isn't there a revolt to force Stihl make them more simple to clean?

I ran Husky for years. Been with Stihl for about 15 years since they bought out all the shops around here. The saws are good. I also hate the filler caps. I have a year old 661 with the electronic carb. It's been acting up for a while. 2 week wait to get it fixed. I need it nearly every day since it pulls a 36" bar. So I'm running as is for a while. There are 4 Stihl dealers within driving distance. One has screwed me over terribly on a new saw. I was the last one around that would go to them. Now I'm done. Another only keeps smaller saws in stock. I would have bought a 461 and a 661 if they would have had them in stock. The third dealer acts as though it really puts them out when someone walks in the door. I guess I'm down to driving an hour one way every time I need something. Stihl really needs to work on their customer service in my area. I already have 2 new Huskys and an Echo. I'm slowly changing my fleet away from Stihl.

Jehinten

I ran Husky for years. Been with Stihl for about 15 years since they bought out all the shops around here. The saws are good. I also hate the filler caps. I have a year old 661 with the electronic carb. It's been acting up for a while. 2 week wait to get it fixed. I need it nearly every day since it pulls a 36" bar. So I'm running as is for a while. There are 4 Stihl dealers within driving distance. One has screwed me over terribly on a new saw. I was the last one around that would go to them. Now I'm done. Another only keeps smaller saws in stock. I would have bought a 461 and a 661 if they would have had them in stock. The third dealer acts as though it really puts them out when someone walks in the door. I guess I'm down to driving an hour one way every time I need something. Stihl really needs to work on their customer service in my area. I already have 2 new Huskys and an Echo. I'm slowly changing my fleet away from Stihl.

Just from personal experience, when I was faced with a similar situation from one of their dealers I got online and let the corporate office know. I was responded to by email with a phone number and was asked to call them so that they could get more information about the situation.

I must not have been the only one who had a problem with this partcular dealer bc 6 months later they were no longer a stihl dealer. That company is still in business, they just don't carry stihl anymore. I guess my point is that even if a distributor of stihl doesn't show good customer service, their corporate company seems to care about their customers.

There's an almost new 661 on another forum right now for sale.
I just sold a very low hr 660, never had any problems with it and no flippy caps, still 100% original even the original rim.
I may be getting a 661 to run the 36, but my ported 7910 will spin it if needed.
Hope you can get the 661 working properly, great saws when they are, even with the flippys, even though the husky ones are better :).

I'm seriously looking into the Huskys now. If I have to order parts online or drive 3 hours to get something fixed it might as well he a Husky. Can you still adjust the carb on the 372?
If it's the brand new ones that's auto tuned then I don't think so but the older ones you should be able to. I cam ask someone and let you know soon

I'm seriously looking into the Huskys now. If I have to order parts online or drive 3 hours to get something fixed it might as well he a Husky. Can you still adjust the carb on the 372?
Yes you can. There are limiters on them, but those are easy to get around. The newer 372 xtorq also has a limited coil so you will have to set them in the wood. The limited coil can confuse you into thinking it's 4-stroking when it's not.
Unfortunately it isn't easy to just hop online and order Stihl parts online, but that's one of the stipulations of the franchise and it keeps guys coming in for parts which dealerships like. I like that I can order parts for my huskys and dolmar/makitas online without any hassel.

If it's the brand new ones that's auto tuned then I don't think so but the older ones you should be able to. I cam ask someone and let you know soon

There is not a 372 that is autotune. They have a 572 that is autotune, but it hasn't been released here in the states yet, but that doesn't mean that none have made it here yet ;).

Thanks a lot. That might be the best way for me. I really don't like having a saw that I can't adjust the carb on. Having a one year old 661 that won't idle decided that for me.

I prefer stihl for being easy to deal with chain/bar swaps etc. BUT, the power to weight ratio of the husky 562 is really impressive. All the new saws have this computer usb garbage on them and can't be tuned on the fly so take your pick. Can't go wrong with either