How/when to transplant 6-month-old tree

Katanna

Howdy!

I live in suburban Austin, TX. I have a beautiful large tree in my front yard, however the neighborhood is old and the tree is past its prime.

Six months ago I did some landscaping work, and a few months after that I had a baby tree growing at the edge of my new retaining wall. The baby tree looks just like his Papa (same kind of leaves) and is very healthy as it stands right now.

As Papa tree will likely die in a decade or two, I was thinking about transplanting Jr. to the middle of the yard and protecting it so that it will eventually replace Papa.

Any suggestions for this? Should I transplant it now or wait for the spring? Do I need to protect it over the winter? I don't want to be an arborist to make this work, but I know I will need to put some effort into it so that the tree has a better chance for success.

Attached are a few photos of Jr.

Thanks for all the wisdom!

Matthew

Attachments

colb

It will be hard to kill that invasive tree. Dig the whole root ball out or spray 100% triclopyr 3a to the cut stump. Ginkgos have similar leaves if that's what you like about it. Tupelos are a great ecosystem function alternative. Live oaks are great. Go down the street and see who's growing what and stick it in your yard.

colb

It will be hard to kill that invasive tree. Dig the whole root ball out or spray 100% triclopyr 3a to the cut stump. Ginkgos have similar leaves if that's what you like about it. Tupelos are a great ecosystem function alternative. Live oaks are great. Go down the street and see who's growing what and stick it in your yard.
Wear eye protection if you spray.