How We're Killin It With Google

treeremovalALB

Fellow arborists and tree guys, if you're not at the top of Google in your local area, you're missing out on a lot of cash.

We redid a 6 year old site - www.albanyorganics.com - and hit the #1 spot in Google's organic search in 3 weeks (see the photo below).

Here's how you can get to the top spot in your area:

1. List your business in Google. It's free.

2. List yourself in category of "tree service." You could also use "contractor" as a 2nd.

3. Load up the profile with everything. When you're writing the business introduction and description, make sure you've got the keywords people are searching for. In my case, it was things such as albany tree service, tree removal albany, tree service in albany, etc.

4. Put in lots of pictures. And, make sure to name each picture with a title that has keywords in it. For example: albany-tree-service.jpg.

5. I've barely started this so far, but do what you can to get some reviews from previous clients. I managed to get the #1 spot without this, so it's possible, but having them would definitely help people considering tree services take yours over a competitor.

6. Add more content to your site. ***This is just a guess based on what I've seen in my area*** Most of the companies had sites with very little content/text. Google is looking for keywords on your site, so if there's not a lot of content, there probably won't be that many keywords either. Instead of using bullet points to list what you do, explain it a bit.

7. I have to say, I hate this one, but it's essential - order citations. Citations are you name, address, and phone number on the web. Ideally, you would want it all over the Internet so people would find you more easily. It boosts your credibility in the eyes of the consumer and Google. Big ones are things like Facebook, Yelp, and Bing. This takes forever to sit down and do one by one, but it is WORTH IT.

Done. Ever since we did this, the phone has not stopped ringing. That front page is no joke.

This is the difference: We were originally forking over $3,000/month for Google Ads. Since we're now sitting at the top spot in the organic results, we're getting nearly the same number of calls, but IT's FREE.

Everything I've learned about all of this came from my SEO guy. He said that he would "bring the rain" and he was not joking. Our rank continues to improve each week, and we anticipate taking the top spot in the map section too very soon.

That's enough from me. Try it out! - it can seriously blow up your bottom line. We don't ever take small jobs any more because this has allowed us to be way more choosy.

If you have any questions or anything, feel free to comment in the thread.

Us.jpg

DruidCarol

Hey Joe,

Great post about how it gets done, and highlighting all the points that have to come together to "embrace the Google". Content that has the relevant text describing what you do is key, and I know a lot of business owners (of all stripes) can get a wee bit hung up about wanting it to be all pictures, but Google cannot search images (apart from the alternate title text as you mention in #4--AND you cannot cheat Google by just using that element). When thinking keywords, think in terms of what is called "long-tail keywords" or essentially phrases that give a precise return: "dogs" is short tail, but "german shepherd breeders" is long-tail. "Dogs" will have you going bananas with scrolling, but the specific will get you what you really wanted fast.

It is a constant grooming process too, just as you would advise customers that they need to make tree pruning and care routine.

Couple of things to suggest:

1. Google page-speed insights shows your website has some issues, among them that the images in the site need to be optimized, which means they should be compressed into a smaller file size. I actually have seen a client for whom I do content management and editorial work drop off the results because her site routinely fails the Google page-speed insights (https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/). Being mobile friendly is the number one technical point you need to have for Google, but they do prefer pages that rank 85/100 points on this test. You get specific suggestions on how to fix what you have. I know how to do this sort of thing in Wordpress websites but you are not using WP so hopefully you can find someone who can help. I attend a local WP group to keep learning new things, and the advice is don't be lulled into thinking that because your site seems to load pretty quickly, Google likes it--if Google says it's slow on mobile and desktop, you have to act.

2. I found, sitting over on the coast of Southern New England, that searching the phrase "tree services near Albany NY" doesn't do as well for you. The common search a customer locally will do is actually "x services near me" so if that isn't happening, you might want to look into that.

3. No social icons for sharing on your site, yet. Probably need link for Google reviews and possibly get a Facebook page active (Yay! more writing!)

4. I am puzzled by the inclusion of the names of your top competition on the home page and I think I would recommend not giving them any real estate on your site. I would suggest saying, "There are many companies in our area who meet the basic criteria for tree services and we respect that. We like to go beyond good service in tree care to top service for a fair price, and our customers are consistently delighted in the results. Angie's List has given us very high marks for three years in a row, an accomplishment that makes us very proud to serve the greater Albany area." If you can stick the Angies's List icons here or a link to your reviews, that would make the point.

5. Maybe give your area served as X miles radius of Albany. And maybe say that any work proposed beyond that radius can be considered but will involve travel surcharges. If there are a few companies you respect outside that area as someone you would trust to make a referral, perhaps say that you would be happy to refer long distances clients to companies closer to them that you regard as favorable alternatives (just don't name names!)

6. You mention writing on tree care at JPI and a link to this would be a great addition, and possibly use some of your articles to create a type of blog function (such as Joe's Tree Tips) and reuse that content right in your site. Also, it sounds as though you have an environmentally sound approach to best practices? Is this something to highlight on the home page in a really big way? That will attract customers who really want that kind of expertise, causing them to pick you over someone else.

I think that's it for now.

WaitakKauri

Great info shared here, it matches my experience with websites. After the items in the first two posts, make sure you keep writing original content with your key words.

Bartlett's www.bartlettman.com is an arborist example that comes to mind and they link to this content from their other online presences like FB, YouTube and marketing email.

DruidCarol

Yes, they utilize Facebook ads, it looks like, to drive people to the online store--probably regular followers who see ads for specials first on their FB feeds and know it's time to get a deal, and they can probably target other non customers who will see ads on the side for their products. FB ads work best for online stores with solid targeting to a very, very well-defined niche market.

treeremovalALB

Hey Joe,

Great post about how it gets done, and highlighting all the points that have to come together to "embrace the Google". Content that has the relevant text describing what you do is key, and I know a lot of business owners (of all stripes) can get a wee bit hung up about wanting it to be all pictures, but Google cannot search images (apart from the alternate title text as you mention in #4--AND you cannot cheat Google by just using that element). When thinking keywords, think in terms of what is called "long-tail keywords" or essentially phrases that give a precise return: "dogs" is short tail, but "german shepherd breeders" is long-tail. "Dogs" will have you going bananas with scrolling, but the specific will get you what you really wanted fast.

It is a constant grooming process too, just as you would advise customers that they need to make tree pruning and care routine.

Couple of things to suggest:

1. Google page-speed insights shows your website has some issues, among them that the images in the site need to be optimized, which means they should be compressed into a smaller file size. I actually have seen a client for whom I do content management and editorial work drop off the results because her site routinely fails the Google page-speed insights (https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/). Being mobile friendly is the number one technical point you need to have for Google, but they do prefer pages that rank 85/100 points on this test. You get specific suggestions on how to fix what you have. I know how to do this sort of thing in Wordpress websites but you are not using WP so hopefully you can find someone who can help. I attend a local WP group to keep learning new things, and the advice is don't be lulled into thinking that because your site seems to load pretty quickly, Google likes it--if Google says it's slow on mobile and desktop, you have to act.

2. I found, sitting over on the coast of Southern New England, that searching the phrase "tree services near Albany NY" doesn't do as well for you. The common search a customer locally will do is actually "x services near me" so if that isn't happening, you might want to look into that.

3. No social icons for sharing on your site, yet. Probably need link for Google reviews and possibly get a Facebook page active (Yay! more writing!)

4. I am puzzled by the inclusion of the names of your top competition on the home page and I think I would recommend not giving them any real estate on your site. I would suggest saying, "There are many companies in our area who meet the basic criteria for tree services and we respect that. We like to go beyond good service in tree care to top service for a fair price, and our customers are consistently delighted in the results. Angie's List has given us very high marks for three years in a row, an accomplishment that makes us very proud to serve the greater Albany area." If you can stick the Angies's List icons here or a link to your reviews, that would make the point.

5. Maybe give your area served as X miles radius of Albany. And maybe say that any work proposed beyond that radius can be considered but will involve travel surcharges. If there are a few companies you respect outside that area as someone you would trust to make a referral, perhaps say that you would be happy to refer long distances clients to companies closer to them that you regard as favorable alternatives (just don't name names!)

6. You mention writing on tree care at JPI and a link to this would be a great addition, and possibly use some of your articles to create a type of blog function (such as Joe's Tree Tips) and reuse that content right in your site. Also, it sounds as though you have an environmentally sound approach to best practices? Is this something to highlight on the home page in a really big way? That will attract customers who really want that kind of expertise, causing them to pick you over someone else.

I think that's it for now.
Hi Carol, thanks for the comments.

1, 2, & 3. Yup, coming soon... This site went from page 4 to page 1 in 3 weeks. That's insane. But, he did mention he's not done yet. He was "getting this out there to get us going" - love it. There are 7 keywords we're going to rank for, and he's been knocking them down one by one, so I'm sure we will soon. He had mentioned it can take months to move up the rankings, which is consistent with what I've read. The fact that he was able to do it sooner was a bonus.

4. I won't spoil this one for you. Try it and see what happens ;-)

5. I like this one. I do have people I refer to if they're out of my zone. I'll pass this one along.

6. Linking out to other sites is giving away power from yours. Ideally, they would link to me instead of vice versa.

DruidCarol

Hi Carol, thanks for the comments.

1, 2, & 3. Yup, coming soon... This site went from page 4 to page 1 in 3 weeks. That's insane. But, he did mention he's not done yet. He was "getting this out there to get us going" - love it. There are 7 keywords we're going to rank for, and he's been knocking them down one by one, so I'm sure we will soon. He had mentioned it can take months to move up the rankings, which is consistent with what I've read. The fact that he was able to do it sooner was a bonus.

4. I won't spoil this one for you. Try it and see what happens ;-)

5. I like this one. I do have people I refer to if they're out of my zone. I'll pass this one along.

6. Linking out to other sites is giving away power from yours. Ideally, they would link to me instead of vice versa.
On #6, it wasn't so much linking away from your site as it is to bring over the content to your site in the form of periodic posts like a blog. Re-purposing content is a good way to freshen up what's on your site (keep the Google bots excited to find something new to index). And you should be able to ask the other site's owners to provide inbound links to your site, or add your site to your signature for each article you write.

treeremovalALB

On #6, it wasn't so much linking away from your site as it is to bring over the content to your site in the form of periodic posts like a blog. Re-purposing content is a good way to freshen up what's on your site (keep the Google bots excited to find something new to index). And you should be able to ask the other site's owners to provide inbound links to your site, or add your site to your signature for each article you write.
Good point. Looking into with my next article for JPL.