How to build your own Self-Advancing Knee Ascender (SAKA) and material list

evo

Wow this is lame all around. It was tactless to post about the newest haas here, but also equally so to air out the dirty laundry. Highschool bs

mvtclimber

Does the rigidity in the saka make it a different animal? Both are good and different products. Do you think you will both get letters from the people who came up with the rope walkers of old used in caving systems? It's not like either system was the first knee set ascending device, but in the past your how 2 video was the style in the tree world. If we can all work together and make work more safe, efficient, and fun, we are on the right track. I wonder what you could have come up with together. Cheers

TimBr

Ben HERITAGE said:

PETZL PANTIN 2016 KICKOUT SOLUTION...
https://www.petzl.com/CA/en/Professional/Rope-clamps/Catch-for-PANTIN#.VrR_rvnhDIU

My response:

Wow, Ben, great first post! How the heck did you find this? I'm wondering where it is available and whether or not it works on some of the older Pantins. I'm speaking of the ones that did not provide a hole for a small biner.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but any further info would be appreciated.

Tim

Last edited:

squad143

Oh you'll love it With the combination of the SAKA! Now all you needs the zig zag to go with it !
Was going to buy one the other day that I was at Sheppard's, then realized all my rope is 12mm and I still have three brand new climbing lines I haven't used yet. Guess I'll have to try out the unicender some more.
Too bloody cold to do anything (other than stay inside) this weekend.

TimBr

The Petzl booth had them in Pittsburgh, I asked the guy for it but was a no go! Lol either way the CT is much better IMO. I have both and the CT rocks with the SAKA!
Hey, deevo, thanks for this post! As a guy who owns both the Pantin and the CT foot ascenders, you are in a great position to compare the two. Would you mind explaining what the differences are between the two that causes you to prefer the CT ascender over the Pantin?

Thanks in advance for any opinion you choose to share with us.

Tim

deevo

Hey, deevo, thanks for this post! As a guy who owns both the Pantin and the CT foot ascenders, you are in a great position to compare the two. Would you mind explaining what the differences are between the two that causes you to prefer the CT ascender over the Pantin?

Thanks in advance for any opinion you choose to share with us.

Tim
I have the older version, plus the newer which is terrible and kicks out way too much. The older version I've had for a long time does the job when you have a binder locked in to prevent kick out buts it's a pain in the arse to have to put it on, remove it etc....the CT is one quick flip on and off. 3 of the guys that climb for me all have CT's and no complaints what so ever! I might grab one of those Petzl catches are try it on my newer pantin and give back some feed back, but if your in the market for a foot ascender get the CT and no looking back! The CT advances a lot better also using the SAKA compared to the pantin also, with my new tachyon it's just that much better also how they both advance up the rope !

Dave Rohach

I agree and apologize. I let emotion get the best of me.
If an apology is in order, I personally don't believe it should come from you, YoYoMan. There's a whole lotta finger pointing going on in regards to the SAKA/HAAS commentary spewing out of several mouths, this is an educational forum not a legal battle. IMHO, the latest version of the HAAS has got several of your ideas implemented into it. Not Vise Versa! I just picked up my 3rd SAKA as of this week, for other family members, because of its universal qualities! Anyone can make a HAAS, I've proven that in previous posts, 15 minutes to assemble, the same can't be said for the SAKA, everything is protected inside the nylon strapping/tubing. That's the reason I was originally drawn to it, in the beginning. I'm just saying! IMO, I'd rather have the SAKA over the HAAS, any day!

yoyoman

The Petzl booth had them in Pittsburgh, I asked the guy for it but was a no go! Lol either way the CT is much better IMO. I have both and the CT rocks with the SAKA!
I did not know about that Catch for the Pantin. I too am a CT fan but that may put new life into the light and nimble features of the Pantin. Thanks for sharing! Love it when someone finds something I don't already own....(lol...no, more like col...cry out loud)

yoyoman

Does the rigidity in the saka make it a different animal? ........... Cheers
The SAKA really is not that "rigid". Due to the design it bends where it needs to but does not give when it comes to capturing progress and stays lined up with the climbing line for fast and efficient rebound.

deevo

Personally I like the kick out of the pantin. I use it under my spikes... I use a CT for pruning, but it is a bit odd when you get stuck in a weird position and the cam is locked in...
Ha ha I know what your saying just have to think 5 steps ahead before that happens ! Or be prepared to crouch up into a pretzel ! I thought you had the power ascender ? That'll alleviate having a pantin under your spikes. I guess everything has its pros and cons, or personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Bob

Came for the how to video, stayed for the drama....Wish I could have seen the video before it was removed in the name of capitalism. Thankfully everyone has posted enough photos of their builds that I should be able to go forward with the build anyways.

TimBr

@Bob Bob; Yeah, it didn't seem to be up long before it got yanked. Less than five months or so, I think. Original post altered also, I think. Wishing now I'd quoted it in the early going, not that it matters anymore.

NickfromWI

HAAS are not hard to build by design, ...
...truth be told, i made the haas out of rope fully knowing guys who were in a position where it made more sense to build one could still benefit from the design. I knew they would build them, and if they were in a situation where the only way they could benefit from it was to build it themselves, I hoped they would build one,

Curious.