How to be an Excellent Climber---from the Groundie

Jeff_Cochran

Its not just about the debris. all facets of ground pounding come before your laziness: Greasing equipment, sharpening saws, setting up the next tree or tie in point, polesaw work, rake up for the tree you just cleaned out, ect ect ect. Being that you are to short sighted to see the need for those things and that constantly bumming off the groundies slows a job down and that having your pole on you makes a difference. I used to think i could out run a polesaw. it just can't happen. i learned to climb better and a little slower and get way more accomplished. I do a lot of fucking work with my polesaw. every climber i train hates them for the first month or so and they always find excuses to send them down and gripe constantly about them until i take their polesaw away for a week, then they see how the benefits of a polesaw out weighs the inconvenience managing its positioning in the tree. planning your routs and seeing if you are going to need it for that one top or that side of the tree or if you can put your scabbard on it and hang it on a loop runner.

Jeff_Cochran

You're boring, it's pretty pathetic of you to call
me names because I have a different style than you. You're now saying you would sabotage your climber if he asked for something he needed, what kind of shit is that? Entitled? Lazy? Okay Mr.legendary production climber who generates so much material he would never dream of asking his crew to assist
him because they spend every second of the day dragging brush in an infinitely complicated ballet of ground management that if interrupted for one second could cause the entire operation to collapse.

If having a different team dynamic and a style
unique from yours makes you feel like calling me a lazy entitled narcissist then so be it. Everyone is entitled to make judgements, no matter how ignorant.

Won't be checking back on this thread either so go ahead and have whatever last word makes you feel good inside. I'm on this forum for discussion and learning from other people's unique styles, not being insulted by people like yourself.

What kind of "STYLE" is it to send down tools that are needed to do proper tree work and driving your groundie to drinking by being in constant need of supervision?

Jeff_Cochran

Drewtree's groundie "Yo Drew, You need that polesaw tied on again to reach that 1" piece of tip dead?"
Drew repies "Na, bra i got this"
Groundie "Sweet BRO! You got this! let me go get my camera this is going to be one awesome action shot!"
DRew " OK but hurry up I'm not stopping for your dang action shots!"
Ten minutes passes Drew knocks out single piece of tip dead and numerous small dead twigs

Jeff Groundie "Hey Dude, your about to miss that piece of tip dead!"
Jeff "Can i cut it from that huge scaffold branch underneath it?"
Groundie "Sure its about 10' away, hold up though I'm going to get my camera this is going to be a sweet action shot!"
Jeff " Hurry up I don't have time for your fucking camera!"
four minutes later
Groundie " dang it i missed the shot!"
Jeff "oh fucking well. did i miss any twigs on this side of the tree?"
Groundie " No, but you got two hangers on the tip of that scaffold branch."
Two minute later and Jeff is on the ground
Groundie " I got a great shot of you cleaning those hangers out"
Jeff "Cool we'll put them on the website. How can I help with getting this ground straighten out?"

owScott

me names because I have a different style than you. You're now saying you would sabotage your climber if he asked for something he needed, what kind of shit is that? Entitled? Lazy? Okay Mr.legendary production climber who generates so much material he would never dream of asking his crew to assist
him because they spend every second of the day dragging brush in an infinitely complicated ballet of ground management that if interrupted for one second could cause the entire operation to collapse.

unique from yours makes you feel like calling me a lazy entitled narcissist then so be it. Everyone is entitled to make judgements, no matter how ignorant.

Won't be checking back on this thread either so go ahead and have whatever last word makes you feel good inside. I'm on this forum for discussion and learning from other people's unique styles, not being insulted by people like yourself.
Hey fella s not sure what this discussion is about groundies or polesaws. Good groundies are valuable, but a good climber is the one who spins hay to gold. And a long polesaw on a sliding ring lanyard in a large spreading crown is a must. Saves a lot of climbing that out weights the hassle of climbing with it. Maybe hang it by the lanyard when working in the center, but it goes with me when we go to the tips. Pulling it up and down takes longer than the 2 seconds to tie it on. I respect all styles of working and have had this discussion a lot. Climbing to every cut at the tip of branches in a large tree is not efficient.

TimBr

My silky is a life saver. If I didn't have it I'd lose production time. It allows me to do trees faster and with less effort leading to more trees per day. I get it sent to me when I'm aloft then usually carry it throughout the climb. It's pretty lite and compact. Rite tool for the rite job. Days of the 12 or 16 footers dangling around are pretty much long gone. The only negative is in order to save weight the blades are much more flimsy and break easier.
It would be nice if those silkys had a hook on the head.
I don't know which Silky pole saw you might use, Levi, but TreeStuff sells an extra cost add-on that is compatible with a few of the Silky saws, that might give you what you are looking for. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1053

Tim

P.S. That hook is intended for two of Silky's really long pole saws, which might not be so good for climbing, but also for this shorter, lighter, folding pole saw, which would seem nearly perfect for the purpose.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=214&item=889#detail

Last edited:

TimBr

My silky is a life saver. If I didn't have it I'd lose production time. It allows me to do trees faster and with less effort leading to more trees per day. I get it sent to me when I'm aloft then usually carry it throughout the climb. It's pretty lite and compact. Rite tool for the rite job. Days of the 12 or 16 footers dangling around are pretty much long gone. The only negative is in order to save weight the blades are much more flimsy and break easier.
Hey, Steve! Would you mind telling me what make, model and length of pole saw you prefer to use most of the time?

Also, when you say " Days of the 12 or 16 footers dangling around are pretty much long gone.", does that mean you don't use pole saws of such long length any more, or just that you don't leave them hanging off of a branch, and prefer to keep it with you on your saddle, now? Thanks for your patience with me, and thanks to the other forum members for tolerating this derail.

Tim

Levi.CO

I don't know which Silky pole saw you might use, Levi, but TreeStuff sells an extra cost add-on that is compatible with a few of the Silky saws, that might give you what you are looking for. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1053

Tim

P.S. That hook is intended for two of Silky's really long pole saws, which might not be so good for climbing, but also for this shorter, lighter, folding pole saw, which would seem nearly perfect for the purpose.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=214&item=889#detail
Very cool Tim. Thanks

Steve Connally

I use a silky long boy. It's telescoping. Wish it was about 4 feet longer but I keep it hanging on my saddle. Usually I use it as the weight for my srt line then pull it up so I don't have to Bother a ground guy to tie it on. It doesn't bother me to climb with it on my saddle. Weighs less than a climbing saw. I do not care for a pole saw hooked on a limb. One gust of wind can be fatal.

TimBr

I use a silky long boy. It's telescoping. Wish it was about 4 feet longer but I keep it hanging on my saddle. Usually I use it as the weight for my srt line then pull it up so I don't have to Bother a ground guy to tie it on. It doesn't bother me to climb with it on my saddle. Weighs less than a climbing saw. I do not care for a pole saw hooked on a limb. One gust of wind can be fatal.
Thanks, Steve. Yeah, that Silky Longboy is the folding pole saw I linked to in my earlier post, and that hook that's available will work with it. The hook also has a carabiner hole designed into it, in case you'd like to hold the pole saw to the saddle from that end.

Nice idea using the pole saw to weight the rope at the beginning of an ascent; killing two birds with one stone, and saving the ground men labor. Nice.

Thanks for the answers.

Tim

Last edited:

TimBr

Steve, I purchased one of the long Silky pole saws as a gift for someone a few years ago; I think it was the Hayate. I purchased the accessory hook at the same time as the pole saw, and installed it right away. The new hook never interfered with the blade cover on the big pole saw.

I cannot attest that it will not interfere with the Silky Longboy, since I do not and have not owned one of those, but I would find it unexpected that Silky would produce an accessory that caused a problem with the expected mode of use of one of their most popular tools.

Tim

jdhoward

The fox hook slightly interfered with extending the long boy when I first put it on. After some tinkering I got it to work and haven't had an issue since.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

August Hunicke

Not trying to get between anything and I'm not encouraged to join the discussion...much.
I have not read the other posts or opinions.
But, whoever wrote the above quote. . .this is a hilarious use of sarcasm and so cleverly written. LOL
Totally hilarious word-skilled scathing.