How many actual line clearance trimmers on site

oldschool

How many actual line clearance trimmers are here using this site? Im talking about guys who work for an actual contractor NOT a utility {in house}guy.....and how many miles of line a week does your crew put out on avarage. Are you onroad or off road crews? do you use hooks or not? Gimme the low down because the more i read on here the more i wonder where the hell eveyone gets their perception of utility trimming. I dont think some here really grasp the consept of it. Like Ive said on other threads... Ive worked all over the country and even in canada and its ALWAYS the same game....get it clear and do it fast....but be safe. If there are really companies that exist out there that adhere to 100%....even 85% of proper arboricultural practices and do it at a price that the utilities can swallow , then please send em to NY, or TX, or WA, or NJ, or canada on top of the prob 10 other states ive been to. I have yet to hear of a company that does all this and is used by companies like National Grid or Hydro one Or PGE. It just doesnt happen. Maybe if you work for a small municipality well then ok{ lucky are the customers}
On large tree volume lines like the ones I always work on it aint nevva gonna happen!

BostonBull

[ QUOTE ]
aint nevva gonna happen!

[/ QUOTE ]

the small/medium companies like the one I work for would never be able to fulfill the number of crews that the utilities you mentioned require. Its one thing rolling in with 3-4 crews, its another to have 3-4 crews in 10 towns at once like they want. Thats why the big 3 get those contracts.

Doing quality work (no stubs, tears, flush cuts, topping) is easily accomplished even on high production. Speed comes naturally. Once you are putting out super high quality owrk, you will find little tricks in making it faster and faster! Like anything else that we do.

oldschool

so then in your opinion as long as the cuts are good its quality? topping is a must in some cases....no two ways about it. what do u do with a blue spruce growing between the primaries.....v trim it? or maybe cut it back to an appropriate lateral? lol

classictruckman

Unfortunately Hydro one doesn't put out many contracts these days, but that was exactly what my dad for the first 20 years in business, we get the odd large tree(s) that they're crews don't want to tackle, and some private line work.

We average a span per man per hour, and we stick to the best arborist practices.

oldschool

[ QUOTE ]
Top it and then argue about it on the internet. Awesome use of your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should just agree with you? It is what it is. My advice to those who are concerned about the arboricultural practices under utility lines is................DONT PLANT UNDER THE LINES! or at least plant the appropriate species. Hell..Im a cert arb yet I know that sometimes the rules have to be bent to achieve the desired results so dont think that Im some hack fresh out of a crash course in tree slaying. Ignorance is bliss. If the lines arent cleared the power goes out...they feed hospital,school,fire stations, police....everything thats is. If lines come down it could be fatal. We could argue til we re blue in the face. Somedays I really feel guilty doing what I have to do but its my job. Do I always agree?....Nope. But If I dont do it, and at least do the best I can at it, someone else is going to do it who doesnt care at all.
And yup...this is a waste of my time arguing about something with someone who obviously knows very little about it.{Just enough to cash in an opinion}
And as far as the "span an hour" goes.......I wish my lines were that lite. some days we get spans that take half a day with threee men working them.....and we are far from novice.{overhang on three phase is a bitch}
So... keep kidding yourselves about how an actual line trimmer should do his work, I'll stop wasting my time, and we'll argue about this again later.

tomthetreeman

Actually, I know alot about it. I am the tree inspector for the City of Providence, and I am in charge of our municipal tree planting program. I personally oversee and execute the planting of about 500 trees per year, at least half of them under some form of utility, and underground utilities are a constant conflict. I select the species for each site, and I pay very close attention to which species can handle utility pruning and/or can grow well around utilities. London Planetree, Honeylocust and Elm are some trees that can be found coexisting with high voltage lines, receiving regular cycles of pruning, yet able to compartmentalize these cuts, grow around lines, and remain structurally sound. Other times we use trees that will 'top out' at a height well under the lines, which is often necessary, although our goal is to plant large trees wherever possible.

I do not blame the utility contractors for doing what they have to do when the wrong tree is under the wires, because it is clear to me when this is the case. What we do see alot of, however, is cutting 'just enough' to achieve clearance, leaving stubs, old inside sucker growth, and other dense growth, when all it would take to do it right is cutting back to the leader or main stem.

BostonBull

the tough thing about the internet is that you don't know who you're talking to at any given time. please remember that oldschool. the person on the otherside of the keyboard could be a highschool cheerleader in a biology class with an opinion on how treework should be done, or a 35 year old worldclass treeworker, with a doctrine, world championship climbing titles, running 40 utility crews and 10 residential crews daily as well as his/her own high production crew.

jumping to conclusions and making accusations about ones experience and intelligence based on a post or two from an online forum is Ignorant at best.

oldschool

Boston guy, why are u still in this conversation? U hold no merit. U havent enough experience to even remotely weigh in on how this line of work should be performed. as far as accusations..... this "LAZY TRIMMER" never made any accusations. Show me one accusation I have made. I said i wonder where some get their perception of the trade but other than that.........
But yup ....Im gonna state that from what youve said and what youve said youve done.....the bull is full of sh*t

Municipalalities as I have already stated are quit a bit different than large utilities. The playing field is much different. Instead of thousands of mile of line they may only have a thousand. It makes maintainance easier and its easier to adjust quality control. The volume is just not as great.

BostonBull

Sorry you feel that way man! I think youre the first person to ever say that I dont have enough merit in the electrical industry to weigh in on a conversation. All those years in line school dont count huh? just the hours in a bucket with a wizz saw count toward being able to weigh in on a topic. Thanks for clarifying.

You should come to TCI, we can measure penis length! It will be soooo much fun!! Although its quite clear yours is MUCH larger. I bet you can spit further than me as well. And you can call people names like a 5 grade school girl, I am impressed!

Keep up the good work, and Stay Safe! Im told theres electricity in those wires....!?

classictruckman

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I should just agree with you? It is what it is. My advice to those who are concerned about the arboricultural practices under utility lines is................DONT PLANT UNDER THE LINES! or at least plant the appropriate species. Hell..Im a cert arb yet I know that sometimes the rules have to be bent to achieve the desired results so dont think that Im some hack fresh out of a crash course in tree slaying. Ignorance is bliss. If the lines arent cleared the power goes out...they feed hospital,school,fire stations, police....everything thats is. If lines come down it could be fatal. We could argue til we re blue in the face. Somedays I really feel guilty doing what I have to do but its my job. Do I always agree?....Nope. But If I dont do it, and at least do the best I can at it, someone else is going to do it who doesnt care at all.
And yup...this is a waste of my time arguing about something with someone who obviously knows very little about it.{Just enough to cash in an opinion}
And as far as the "span an hour" goes.......I wish my lines were that lite. some days we get spans that take half a day with threee men working them.....and we are far from novice.{overhang on three phase is a bitch}
So... keep kidding yourselves about how an actual line trimmer should do his work, I'll stop wasting my time, and we'll argue about this again later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to agree with you with pretty much every thing said here, I should have explained that speed a little better, thats on private line, usually way overgrown but only 7.2 kv. Like I said Hydro One doesn't contract much so the only time I get into anything more powerful is during removals for homeowners and municipalities(they're the worst for sticking us near power), but a span per man per hour is an average, last week my crew did a little over km of telephone line trimming in a day and a half, which was about half offroad.

oldschool

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry you feel that way man! I think youre the first person to ever say that I dont have enough merit in the electrical industry to weigh in on a conversation. All those years in line school dont count huh? just the hours in a bucket with a wizz saw count toward being able to weigh in on a topic. Thanks for clarifying.

You should come to TCI, we can measure penis length! It will be soooo much fun!! Although its quite clear yours is MUCH larger. I bet you can spit further than me as well. And you can call people names like a 5 grade school girl, I am impressed!

Keep up the good work, and Stay Safe! Im told theres electricity in those wires....!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats wrong? u still didnt inform me of my accusations
that I supposedly made.And sh*t NO!.......Line work doesnt allow u to cash in on tree work.Just because electricity is involved , now u are qualified to talk about it? So I guess that makes me qualified to tell line guys how to construct their systems or perform their duties ey? Typical.
Line guys are usually winey and "LAZY". dont even get me started on that racket. Overpaid and underworked and the authority figuer on everthing.
But hey....if u wanna weigh in....go ahead. Bullsh*t weighs alot.

BostonBull

Prove me wrong.

Wheres my lack of knowledge? Wheres my BS statements. You may not like or agree with what I have to say, doesn't mean they are BS, or a lack of knowledge. Speaking of accusations, who called you lazy? I made a generalization about Utility line trimmers, not you. I'm not going to sit here and trade my balls are bigger than yours stories, not my style. Don't judge me when you don't know me. next time your gypsy work takes you through town ill buy you a beer, then you'll know who your talking shite about over a keyboard.

Like I said in an earlier post, you never know who you are typing to on the other end of a computer. You don't know me, and I don't know you. You are aggressive and on the defensive for some reason though.

Linesman always have a chip on their shoulder, you're right. Half the reason I left, unions and piss poor "I'm a god" attitudes were the other.

If this is such a waste of your time, go back to the TH.

oldschool

LOL.agressive? sorry Ill go lay down and be submissive..NOT! Why would I want to leave and let misinformation be distributed. This is way entertaining bro. This all started somewhere along the lines of the lazy trimmer sh*t.
Go back to TH! lol Go back to splicing your cable. Its about time this utility arb section was used by real utility arbs and not just jokers bashing them for every wrong turn they make. Its a different game than residential and it involves three parts
contracted utility arbs
in house utility arbs for large corporations
in house utility arbs for municipalities
Each sector is unique in its own way and every one differs in their functioning process. The ground rules for all are different and undecided by the arborists themselves. as is with anything....the larger it gets the less attention to detail.
we as knowledgable arborist can make a concious effort to do our best at minimizing inappropriate arboricultural practices while trying to fufill our obligations to the utilities and our employers. But sometimes theres only so much you can do. you arent always going to make everyone happy, especially when youve got sometimes impossible deadlines to meet. It is what it is and i dont always agree with what i do but if i dont do it there are a hundred guys in line wanting to fill my spot. Im not gonna starve because im unsettled with they way my employer and the utilities require us to administer our vegetative control.
My personal work practices are nothing like my utility work practices........because I bid them and I allow myself enough time to do the work appropriatly while practicing proper technique. and i dont have the volume to contend with.

BostonBull

[ QUOTE ]
LOL.agressive? sorry Ill go lay down and be submissive..NOT! Why would I want to leave and let misinformation be distributed. This is way entertaining bro. This all started somewhere along the lines of the lazy trimmer sh*t.
Go back to TH! lol Go back to splicing your cable. Its about time this utility arb section was used by real utility arbs and not just jokers bashing them for every wrong turn they make. Its a different game than residential and it involves three parts
contracted utility arbs
in house utility arbs for large corporations
in house utility arbs for municipalities
Each sector is unique in its own way and every one differs in their functioning process. The ground rules for all are different and undecided by the arborists themselves. as is with anything....the larger it gets the less attention to detail.
we as knowledgable arborist can make a concious effort to do our best at minimizing inappropriate arboricultural practices while trying to fufill our obligations to the utilities and our employers. But sometimes theres only so much you can do. you arent always going to make everyone happy, especially when youve got sometimes impossible deadlines to meet. It is what it is and i dont always agree with what i do but if i dont do it there are a hundred guys in line wanting to fill my spot. Im not gonna starve because im unsettled with they way my employer and the utilities require us to administer our vegetative control.
My personal work practices are nothing like my utility work practices........because I bid them and I allow myself enough time to do the work appropriatly while practicing proper technique. and i dont have the volume to contend with.

[/ QUOTE ]

No misinformation from me.

Lazy trimmer sh*t, yes. Thats what happens around here, Asplundh and the like trim maybe 4 hours out of their 9 hour days. I find them hiding when I go to dump chips, hiding in the town I am working in ( a private muni), and doing crap work. If they worked with more attention to detail, yes it would cut into their hiding time, they would produce better quality work.

I fit into your first category, the other two are almost non existent around this area. No unions in this area either.

Spliced coax for 6 months to help finish a project, FYI.

RELAX, and stick around a while. Theres plenty of knowledge to share and this whole industry benefits from experienced utility guys. A lot of people don't understand utility work, and that is why they paint utility trimmers in the colors they do.

oldschool

No time for hiding here. 7 days a week. 8 hr work days during week with 2.5 drive hours each way every day. Weekends are 10 hr days and only have to drive 5 hrs Friday night and 5 hrs back Mon morn....then do it all over again.
No harm no foul...this stupid computer is the only break from the monotony ive had in the last 2 months. Im too tired to go out but not tired enough to sleep.
6 months ey? u must be an expert then,..not much to it. lol just messin witcha. truce

BostonBull

[ QUOTE ]
No time for hiding here. 7 days a week. 8 hr work days during week with 2.5 drive hours each way every day. Weekends are 10 hr days and only have to drive 5 hrs Friday night and 5 hrs back Mon morn....then do it all over again.
No harm no foul...this stupid computer is the only break from the monotony ive had in the last 2 months. Im too tired to go out but not tired enough to sleep.
6 months ey? u must be an expert then,..not much to it. lol just messin witcha. truce

[/ QUOTE ]
nah man thats the truth! After 2 weeks I was an expert, that stuff is as simple as putting a chain on a chainsaw!

Fiber, and phone are a bit more difficult, lot more prep work with those.

Stay safe and sane!

inztrees

I trim 1.5 miles a week thats flat cut and trimmed. I have a 55 ft altec and a sharp wizz saw. I have a 2.5 man crew Plus we climb shunts if need be no spikes. I don't top but I do reduce (it makes feels better then topping).I take a 15 minute lunch and a 45 minute nap. I hate most line clearance tree trimmers 'cause they have somethinge to prove that we all prove every day.

Don't punk out You made a stand no hold your ground TRUCE

oldschool

Well bro first off i dont respond well to demands and i have nothing to prove to anyone. secondly i hate guys who hate line clearance trimmers. and third off how do you reduce the blue spruce growing threw the primarys?
dont be a punk...it wasnt your battle ,i was big enough to call a truce so butt out.

oh yeah...be safe and have a wonderful week