How do you attach your chainsaw to your lanyard & saddle?

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by Casey Snyder, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Casey Snyder

Casey Snyder New Member

Hello all,

I have been climbing for about 5 years (2 recreation and past 3 in production). I have never felt that my chainsaw connection is great, but it does work. I climb with a Treemotion and use a Husqvarna T540xp with the rear plastic loop on the back. I clip my Buckingham tear away lanyard to the small metal loop and back it up with a DMM micro carabiner. The other end of my lanyard is girth hitched to the back green ring of my Treemotion. Overall I feel like this is a decent set up for me, but it does seem to feel clunky and gets caught up in my saddle and in tight spots in the tree.

Does anyone else have recommendations to improve my setup or please just shoot me pictures of what your set up is!

Thank you.

2. TCtreeswinger

TCtreeswinger Well-Known Member

Try searching here first. Lots of different setups

3. adaycj

adaycj Member

I don't like the big hooks. I also don't use a break away lanyard. I'm also pretty cheap.

I use a "s-biner" from a company called "Nite Ize". I clip it fully around the belt of my saddle, between the back pad and the belt. They come in different sizes, and the one I have is big enough it can lay flat against my hip, but rotates and stays out pretty good when I'm using a saw. My s-biner is plastic and the load rating is really low. So low it is barely rated to hold the saw. I figure this will fail if my saw or lanyard is caught by flying tree parts, but I've haven't tested it to know for sure.

It is holding up shockingly well, but one problem with this method is that eventually the plastic will fail. When it does my saw will fall. I also see quite a few Petzl Caritools in use which are very similar, but don't like to lay flat. I don't know if my plan is worth replicating, but you asked.

4. Huskyman

Huskyman Active Member

5. TreeVB

TreeVB Active Member

I will try to take a photo later today of the clip I use to hang my saw. As for saddle attachment I clip mine to a hole on the side of my tree motion. I feel like you are loosing a lot of reach with your saw if its clipped to your back green ring.

6. evo

evo Well-Known Member

I have a old hitch cord looped and tucked in the webbing of my treemotion. Basically a bridge in the rear from right butt cheek to left butt cheek. I find this helps to switch from right hand to left hand cutting keeping full length on either side.
    The laynard it’s self is home made out of 1” webbing. It has a big ring about 4” from where it attaches to the saw for easy stowing, and then a loop for a locking biner to the bridge. I’m not personally very concerned with saw snatch, but I’ve had a few roll outs resulting in dropped saws.

Brocky and JontreeHI like this.
  7. rope-a-dope

rope-a-dope Well-Known Member

What is a roll out, evo?

8. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

Nice!

9. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

Yes, clever.

10. evo

evo Well-Known Member

i will try to snap a photo of it tomorrow.

11. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Roll out is when a non locking carabiner or rope snap is twisted while under low or no load, and disconnects from what it's attached to.
    For what its worth a double locking rope snap (common steel snap on flip lines) can still roll out on large dee's. It takes work to get it to do so, but I've played around with it and had it happen on the couch.

12. JontreeHI

JontreeHI Well-Known Member

X2 on the bridge Jesse, can’t remember who posted that first a while back but it is great.

13. TCtreeswinger

TCtreeswinger Well-Known Member

Are you guys still racking on a hip caritool of sorts?

14. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Im rocking the rock exotica bolt on carabiner on either hip, so I can sling my 150 in style

15. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Also use the RE Trasporters on each side, saw lanyard attached center/rear of saddle.

16. Leafguy

Leafguy Member

For the guys with the lanyard on the back of your harness, What length do you find works?

evo likes this.
  17. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

About 5 feet, if it's not a bungee type... otherwise, about 3 feet.

18. evo

evo Well-Known Member

What ever lets the saw fall below your feet is the rule I learned..

colb likes this.
  19. evo

evo Well-Known Member

1B038313-FE07-4342-97C9-13E0EA1E7D4D.jpeg 3DBBF85A-F3CE-4D28-9938-41793522C523.jpeg 5E80E485-163A-4F30-B780-B3637E77DFBC.jpeg 8D8DBB55-4CA9-40FD-948A-3B29CBB80097.jpeg F1B6EBB6-E5C2-495C-AC86-E3CE5BD9DDA3.jpeg

The square ring is just what I had laying around the house. I recently lost my old laynard, and has a large round ring, and a small screw gate biner. It was a little short, so when I made the replacement I just measured to my body. I’d guess it is about 3 1/2 feet? It’s a little too long so I’ve thought I’d just tie a figure 8 somewhere.

20. BEH2202

BEH2202 Member

So, my set up is a little bit different than the ones that have already been posted. Where evo's transporter is on his saddle is where I have a large caritool. Say what you want about them, but I have had the same 3 on my saddle (2 small and 1 large) for the last five years. Anyway, I use one of the the teufelberger breakaway lanyards. One end gets clipped to the green ring on the rear of the harness (Tree Motion) and the saw gets hung from the large caritool by its handle. So, the handle of the saw goes through the caritool so the saw hangs horizontally. For me this works with climbing saws all the way up to the 660. It also prevents the chain from tearing up my pants or rope.

SomethingWitty, Rob Stafari and ATH like this.