Home Depot vs. Lowes on saws and equipment?

tomstrees

I have a part-time job at THD, but am not biased on the subject of equipment, who has the better stuff?

Jehinten

Stihl dealer for saws, and treestuff, wesspur, and sherilltree for other ropes and equipment. Buying anything at those box stores will end up costing you more in the long run by the time you figure in the multiple replacement cost.

tomstrees

THD has better guarantees than other local stores; if you get similar name brand stuff cheaper, I see no problem with that. But they have mainly homeowner saws, not much in the way of commercial ones, same thing with Lowes. Major Stihl and Husky dealers have sky high pricing on saws, so I see no alternative for most except smaller contractors but to buy used.

Jehinten

THD has better guarantees than other local stores; if you get similar name brand stuff cheaper, I see no problem with that. But they have mainly homeowner saws, not much in the way of commercial ones, same thing with Lowes. Major Stihl and Husky dealers have sky high pricing on saws, so I see no alternative for most except smaller contractors but to buy used.
It's not my intent to bash other brand saws, I know husqvarna and echo both have some decent saws, stihl is just my personal preference. As for other gear the only thing worth buying at a box store, in my opinion, is maybe a rake. Even then I'm one of those power rakers and go through those handles like it's nothing. Only the groundskeeper 2 has held up to me for any measurable amount of time. For tree work there are better options than home depot and Lowe's. Once you get used to the feel of some stable braid or other quality ropes, the stuff that they sell just feels bad in your hand. It does not instill confidence

I've also gone the used route on saws when I was first starting to build my company up. Just be mindful of what your getting. I bought a used 660 for half the price of a new one once that soon after needed a $600 rebuild.

The price may seem steep at first, but the longevity of the equipment will make it cheaper in the long run.

tomstrees

Just don't go with our "new and improved" electric module saws or the Ryobis if you want professional results. At least the guarantee should hold (for a while).

ATH

My hand pruners that I use for roots came from Lowe's. Coronas are not bad...they don't get the everyday use that the Felcos do, but they aren't bad. Sawzall from HD gets root duty too. Not many other tree tools that I can think of that came from big box.

I have a small company and the way I see it is that I can't afford down time... so I cannot afford less than professional grade chainsaws (most of mine are Husqvarna...not gonna argue brand preference) or hand saws (Silky.). Being down for an extra day because I saved a couple hundred on a chainsaw will cost me more than that savings. I do have a 455 Rancher Husqvarna than can be had from Lowe's...but I won that in a drawing. It has been a great saw-no complaints, but if I needed a new saw in that size class I'd probably buy a 550XP. Pro saws tend to have better power:weight ratios, are built better usually less vibration, etc... Sometimes is is simple stuff like not needing to unscrew the cover to clean the air filter.

evo

My hand pruners that I use for roots came from Lowe's. Coronas are not bad...they don't get the everyday use that the Felcos do, but they aren't bad. Sawzall from HD gets root duty too. Not many other tree tools that I can think of that came from big box.

I have a small company and the way I see it is that I can't afford down time... so I cannot afford less than professional grade chainsaws (most of mine are Husqvarna...not gonna argue brand preference) or hand saws (Silky.). Being down for an extra day because I saved a couple hundred on a chainsaw will cost me more than that savings. I do have a 455 Rancher Husqvarna than can be had from Lowe's...but I won that in a drawing. It has been a great saw-no complaints, but if I needed a new saw in that size class I'd probably buy a 550XP. Pro saws tend to have better power:weight ratios, are built better usually less vibration, etc... Sometimes is is simple stuff like not needing to unscrew the cover to clean the air filter.
Yeah some odds and ends for sure... Air compressor for blowin out saws, tool storage, crap like that, sure thing. Gloves if the price is right, Super Hawg for the GRCS! Stuff like that, but most things that get touched or used on site day in and out hell no.

Raven

No offense but around here the HD typically has everything except what you need. Up here in hat country we go to Menards - For bar oil, rakes, tarps, hand tools. Power tools I get from my local Stihl dealer, climbing gear comes through the mail.